How rare are original shipping boxes? Picked up a 4300.

Very very nice - Congratulations!

I have a three original shipping boxes, but no Marantz (harman kardon, Bang&Olufsen, Dual). Generally they seem to be pretty rare... Original box in box is a great thing...

Ones in nice shape with the outer box, too, are so rare that they can sell from 50-150 bucks on the bay. It really depends on the unit because the value of the unit can be improved with the box in the offering. For an expensive unit in sweet shape that can translate into a few hundred more than a unit that doesn't have those with it. But for a 100 buck receiver, not gonna get 200 if it has the boxes.

Having the box for a unit offered can give the false impressions that the unit is being sold could be one onwer or that it was well taken care of by the owner. This can influence the bidder. There are also those OCD types here on AK and elsewhere that want it all and the box is part of that.

your boxes are worth at least 150, maybe more.

I also concur depends on the demand of the unit. Regardless, that is rare and a good find.

Ones in nice shape with the outer box, too, are so rare that they can sell from 50-150 bucks on the bay. It really depends on the unit because the value of the unit can be improved with the box in the offering. For an expensive unit in sweet shape that can translate into a few hundred more than a unit that doesn't have those with it. But for a 100 buck receiver, not gonna get 200 if it has the boxes.

Having the box for a unit offered can give the false impressions that the unit is being sold could be one owner or that it was well taken care of by the owner. This can influence the bidder. There are also those OCD types here on AK and elsewhere that want it all and the box is part of that.

your boxes are worth at least 150, maybe more.

Thanks for the info.

I bought a "lot" of gear from a guy who said if he couldn't sell it all, it was going to the E waste. He was the original owner and kept the boxes because he moved a lot.
It's been in a closet for the last 10 years.

Not a "score" by any means, but a fair deal for sure. We were both happy. I actually didn't know he had both boxes for the 4300, so it was a bonus of sorts.

Rob

The other interesting fact about this 4300 is that it must have come with the wood case installed. The foam packing pieces fit around the wood case and there is no metal cover.

Rob

People pay crazy money for empty boxes. I sold an original 1060 box with a 1980 Winter Olympics logo (Lake Placid) on it for $150.00
Chris

Wow, that is a bit crazy. The original box should have the serial number on it which matches the SN # on the receiver or amp. This 4300 and the box match.

Rob

The other interesting fact about this 4300 is that it must have come with the wood case installed. The foam packing pieces fit around the wood case and there is no metal cover.

Rob

the 2285B was sold like that also. i think you could buy without the wood case and with the metal cover as well. i wonder if any other marantz's were sold with the wood case installed ive never found any mention of it anywhere but always thought that was the way the 2285B was was sold because so many i saw for sale with woodcases didnt have metal covers then a couple months ago another AKer confirmed that he bought his that way back in the day. so that makes 2 anyways if anyone else got a different model like that please chime in. Congrats on great find :thumbsup:

Not sure how rare the original boxes and literature are. I got these about 10 years ago, and as far as a 'complete package' goes this is as good as it's gotten for me.

Never had an original -shipping- box though.......

Marantz trio.jpg

Marantz literature.jpg

Last edited:
The 4400 I had came in wood, no metal. Didn't care about the box at the price I paid.

Original boxes are fairly rare. I've sold the stack (+ gear) on the right but original boxes and especially the receipt was a huge bonus. The Yamaha was worked on by Merrylander and the Akai was new old stock.
0924161958c_2.jpg

Finding an early 70's Marantz with the original wood case and the wood case in great shape, that is very rare from my experience.

And so many controls in front on that guy, it gives it a pretty amazing look.

Look forward to hearing about your restoration work and how it sounds.

Congrats on a very cool piece and glad I could assist in helping you find it.

Cheers,

Snade

Back
Top Bottom