Not to mention that universal remotes may not replicate all the functions of the original.

True, some setup can only be done with OSD (TV needed) and OEM remote. To bring this back to the OP, if an AVR is going to be deployed for stereo duty, all that is needed is on/off and volume control.

True, some setup can only be done with OSD (TV needed) and OEM remote. To bring this back to the OP, if an AVR is going to be deployed for stereo duty, all that is needed is on/off and volume control.
Maybe. I had a Denon 2802 and couldn't get a sound out of it, even from the internal FM tuner, until I went through the setup procedure. It did sound great, though.

The Yamaha R-S202 is available from Costco QC for 200 bucks if that is the way you want to go. But the membership might get in the way. Limited time, until 3/14/19

As I'm not in a hurry, I'll keep looking.
I've upped my budget a bit.
I'm not sure yet if new is the way to go, I tend to prefer the old stuff but there are the possible issues..

For now I've found other interesting used units, but I would like to know which ones would be the best deals, because I know they are of various lines/quality/price range.

All are used, prices in cad, no shipping needed

Harman Kardon HK 3350 - 75$
Yamaha RX-350 - 225$
Yamaha RX-396 - 200$
Yamaha AX-596 - 200$
Yamaha AX-640 - 120$
Yamaha DSP-A2070 - 200$
Onkyo TX 8220 - 225$

So let me know what you think,
Are there some good units sound wise and /or durability wise?
Are there know issues for a particular model?
What prices are (or aren't) fair?
Which ones could be bargained ?

The DSP A2070 seems to be the gem here but would it be well invested money? mostly considering I won't need half of it's capabilities anytime soon...
-
In new material, there are the Yamaha RS 202 and the Sony STRDH190 available for 200$
Are they equivalent? Is one actually slightly better?

Last edited:
The DSP A2070 is still a nice unit but ... they seem to have a serious issue with the motorized volume control, in that particular unit?? Most likely it's best bought with a return possible, if you can't hear it first??

The DSP A2070 is still a nice unit but ... they seem to have a serious issue with the motorized volume control, in that particular unit?? Most likely it's best bought with a return possible, if you can't hear it first??

Well, there's usually no return possible on Kijiji ;) I think I've read about a volume control problem too, but when using the remote. thanks for the tip anyway

For now I'm puzzled between getting the HK330vi because it is dirt cheap OR go for the Yamaha AX-640 because it's cheaper new stuff and (if in good condition) will be significantly better, also it has a 30 day warranty OR to just continue searching...

Of those, the Yamaha AX-596 seems to me to be the gem (100 watts per chanel into 8 ohms RMS, IHF dynamic power of 290W into 2ohms!). (Make sure it has the remote.) I personally love the Yamaha Natural Sound stuff, especially when there's 100 watts or more of it.

The the HK is dirt cheap, I'd buy that and enjoy it because the nicest radio I have ever had was an HK 330c and a pair of speakers. One button on and tunes playing.

And as you move into having a nice stereo and the 330 is moved out, the price you paid, dirt, will not be an issue and you will find a use for it in another location.

I'd go with the AX-640, that's a really nice unit. I'd love to have one myself.

Early 90s Yamaha is great stuff. Well-designed and built to last. Anything RX or AX from the x30 to x90 numbers is going to treat you well.

Somebody mentioned the motorized volume controls can cause issues, and that's true, but this particular model is not remote capable so you wouldn't have that issue.

Last edited:
Finally I decided to experience the old stuff and the troubles /diy that might go with it
I found a Technics SU-V78, rated 100w/ch for cheap.
I know it's not top quality, but that ok since I don't want to risk messing with an expansive one.

Does anyone have the service manual for the SU-V78? I didn't find it

AVR's from the mid-2000's are tremendous value. You can get a TOTL unit sometimes for well under $100. They will be rated 125-150 wpc which is more than enough. The higher end models will have multiple digital inputs for use with on-board D/A chips. Bluetooth was not invented, which if important would not make an older AVR an option. Soundwise, TOTL AVR's will sound just as good as modern BPC receivers most of which are built to a price point.
I second this and add that some early 2000's AVR's are worthy of consideration. I recently picked up a Sony V333ES for $30 from Goodwill. Granted, it was half off (GW rotates price tag colors for half price each week), but I'd be happy with it for its regular $60. After cleaning, it's in amazing condition. I've used it for many hours of the past couple weeks or so, and I've had no issues from it.
Mine did not come with the remote, and a compatible Sony remote is really affordable. However, my Logitech Harmony controls it fine. The only thing the universal remote can't do, that I've found, is adjust levels for the various channels, setup (crossover, speaker settings, etc), and equalizer. That's fine for an audio-only system.
One plus is that most 'higher-end' AVRs have an internal subwoofer crossover and output as well as preamp outputs for all other channels. This will be handy if you decide to add a subwoofer or use an external power amp. I can't say that GW always has something that I 'need', but more often than not, there's something there that I'd consider if I didn't already have at least one comparable.

Somebody mentioned the motorized volume controls can cause issues, and that's true, but this particular model is not remote capable so you wouldn't have that issue.
Yeah that was me!:)

And you left out the AVC 50! And back in the day .. I had that puppy loaded down with stuff! Bought it new back in the day, it is a Dolby Integrated amp unit so rear channel surround only. And that unit which I still have still works to this day! "MY" particular DSP 2070, not so much?? The motorized volume control!!

I bought that one new back in the day half off on sale so only a grand! It was a 7.1 long before there was 7.1! And much like Italian cars "magnificent" when it worked! Did not even last a year ... I was so ticked off ... I never bothered to take it back!!!

Still have it but don't use it, to bitter to let it go, and I'm to ticked off still to dig into it! But hey my other Yammy, stuff is great!

Back
Top Bottom