Cassette tape resurgence ?

To eliminate the hiss, you need to move away from Dolby NR and into DBX. I have 4 dbx equipped Yamaha decks and their SNR ratio is 95+db . There is no hiss. I've recorded some CDs onto a Chrome tape and my family and friends could not distinguish between the CD or the cassette copy.
Another thing too - I'm not sure that tapes from the thrift store are the most fair way to judge cassettes, if they were pre-recorded albums - but it depends. I'm up to 100 or so of prerecorded tapes, and I've found that they can vary dramatically in quality. I've come across a handful that simply don't sound all that great at all, but plenty of others that sound fine. I mainly look for tapes with Dolby HX Pro, or chrome versions, as it's been my experience these ones are usually pretty good. The Capitol XDR tapes sound good too.

As far as hiss is concerned, I've found that Type II is a lot quieter than Type I tape. II gets pretty quiet with just some Dolby B. I still need to try a machine with DBX.

To eliminate the hiss, you need to move away from Dolby NR and into DBX. I have 4 dbx equipped Yamaha decks and their SNR ratio is 95+db . There is no hiss. I've recorded some CDs onto a Chrome tape and my family and friends could not distinguish between the CD or the cassette copy.
Indeed....in addition to the built-in dbx in my Teac X-1000R, I also have a couple of stand-alone dbx units, they do make a significant difference in sound quality.

Another thing too - I'm not sure that tapes from the thrift store are the most fair way to judge cassettes, if they were pre-recorded albums - but it depends.

As far as hiss is concerned, I've found that Type II is a lot quieter than Type I tape. II gets pretty quiet with just some Dolby B. I still need to try a machine with DBX.

True, but I did try and purchase mostly Type II (black chromium dioxide) professionally recorded tapes.
AA91612C-46F9-4A21-95B9-97422B594D66.jpeg

The Type II sounded considerably better without the need of Dolby B noise reduction versus the Type I (brown ferric-oxide) professionally recorded cassette tapes with Dolby NR. Dolby NR IMO takes too much of the music's dynamics out. That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:
True, but I did try and purchase mostly Type II (black chromium dioxide) professionally recorded tapes.
View attachment 1446244
They sounded very good without the need of Dolby B noise reduction that seems to be present on most (brown ferric-oxide) professionally recorded cassette tapes. Dolby IMO takes too much of the music's dynamics out for my preference. That's just my opinion though.

The biggest drawback to virtually ALL those pre-recorded tapes is that they are victims of the high-speed dupe process. An individual, at home, will choose a tape type, (hopefully) calibrate his deck for that tape, set all the levels for best results, and clean the heads & tape path prior to recording. As long as the enthusiast does his part, the result will be a tape with superior sound to just about any factory-issued cassette.

The biggest drawback to virtually ALL those pre-recorded tapes is that they are victims of the high-speed dupe process. An individual, at home, will choose a tape type, (hopefully) calibrate his deck for that tape, set all the levels for best results, and clean the heads & tape path prior to recording. As long as the enthusiast does his part, the result will be a tape with superior sound to just about any factory-issued cassette.
Very true; professional tapes being “victims of high-speed duplication”. I haven’t recorded anything yet, so my conclusion is probably a bit premature. Hi-Res 24bit/192kHz digital music reproduction just has me a little "bit" spoiled. No pun intended;)

I did purchase some Type II tapes to do a little recording and so I’ll see how that goes.
88D40B4B-913A-446F-86C0-42A6215B18DC.jpeg

Last edited:
You've got to admit, though, that prerecorded cassettes did improve significantly at a certain point in the 1980s and, of course, beyond. You probably could still get a better recording by doing it yourself onto a good quality blank tape, but the difference in sound quality was much more marginal than earlier on where you really had to record your own if you wanted good quality hi-fi sound. Prerecorded cassettes were generally that poor of quality in those earlier times.

Thinking back about the cassettes I had I realize how much abuse they took and still played. They were tough. Sitting in that hot truck during the summer and then freezing in the winter. The cases would be warped but the cassette played.

This is another reason I love cassettes - I've already discovered a handful of new/new-to-me artists that I'm really enjoying through making blind purchases of stuff on tape.

That's exactly what I've been appreciating regarding Tapes and CDs. They're so inexpensive to get these days, and the process introduces me to a whack of excellent artists in a variety of genres, that I either hadn't heard their music yet, or hadn't even heard of them.

Dave

I will tell you right now from experience as a buyer, cassettes are exploding on Discogs right now. Many of my "wants" are waivering around the $25-80 range. Of course I'll never pay that, I'll just keep my eye out for as long as it takes.

I will tell you right now from experience as a buyer, cassettes are exploding on Discogs right now. Many of my "wants" are waivering around the $25-80 range. Of course I'll never pay that, I'll just keep my eye out for as long as it takes.
This is why I've been stocking up on a bunch of good stuff from there lately, because I see it happening too.

I've gotten a handful of sealed/never played tapes for a few bucks a pop now, and a good number of other desirable releases in nice shape for a song (no pun intended here) - Of course, I remember doing the same thing with vinyl a decade ago, and many things I got ahold of back then are pretty spendy for a nice copy now.

SNIP >>> Cheap tables, lousy electronics, poor record care, etc. So of course the end result was crap. Same with folks who dismiss cassettes. Most who had poor experiences like this did so by using cheap players, cheap cassettes, caring for them poorly, etc. Maybe not everyone, but many. >>>SNIP >>> It just depends on how you go about all of this, how much you're willing to put in, as to how much success you with it you will have.

sberger's comment goes back to page 2, but I have to say that I could not agree more! My best buddy from back in the days still keeps a collection of his glory days of vinyl alive and playing on a veteran Nak. And — WOW! — sounds good ... very good.

I adore vinyl. I groom a collection of cartridges. I love everything about vinyl. But here in Japan, vinyl is getting more expensive (at least where I live). The genres of my choice are at a premium. The Japanese brokers who glean this stuff are grinding ever harder. My finances are shrinking, no longer growing (ie: the dinosaur stage of a career). I may have to abandon vinyl and get into something else. Thankfully, I have a VERY good deck and a hoard of Type II tape stock. I'm recording all my vinyl onto tape, and I'm really, very pleased at the the results so far.

And there is more that can be done with tape, but getting good sound depends on very good machinery and some decent tape stock. Fortunately I have a tech/engineer who has serviced my A&D GX-Z9100EX. Yep, I've had a to pay a fee bills. For this and that reason, tape is going to stay a niche thing.

I do not see any manufacturer making a realy good cassette machine in the future. They are GONE! ... unless someone tools up to replicate a recording block, and uses modern surface mount and chip technology to replace what back in the day was usually (not alway towards the end) discrete electronics. But this is a very, very remote possibility. But, I did read about an American firm that was overhauling all the complicated apparatus for making quality tape stock. And, apparently, they are selling it. So who knows?

You can take yer chances, but my advice to anyone interested in getting into tape is to locate a good tech person first, (who knows tape gear — DUH!) and choose a deck, second. Mediocre tape recording is REALLY BORING!!!!

sberger's comment goes back to page 2, but I have to say that I could not agree more! My best buddy from back in the days still keeps a collection of his glory days of vinyl alive and playing on a veteran Nak. And — WOW! — sounds good ... very good.

I adore vinyl. I groom a collection of cartridges. I love everything about vinyl. But here in Japan, vinyl is getting more expensive (at least where I live). The genres of my choice are at a premium. The Japanese brokers who glean this stuff are grinding ever harder. My finances are shrinking, no longer growing (ie: the dinosaur stage of a career). I may have to abandon vinyl and get into something else. Thankfully, I have a VERY good deck and a hoard of Type II tape stock. I'm recording all my vinyl onto tape, and I'm really, very pleased at the the results so far.

And there is more that can be done with tape, but getting good sound depends on very good machinery and some decent tape stock. Fortunately I have a tech/engineer who has serviced my A&D GX-Z9100EX. Yep, I've had a to pay a fee bills. For this and that reason, tape is going to stay a niche thing.

I do not see any manufacturer making a realy good cassette machine in the future. They are GONE! ... unless someone tools up to replicate a recording block, and uses modern surface mount and chip technology to replace what back in the day was usually (not alway towards the end) discrete electronics. But this is a very, very remote possibility. But, I did read about an American firm that was overhauling all the complicated apparatus for making quality tape stock. And, apparently, they are selling it. So who knows?

You can take yer chances, but my advice to anyone interested in getting into tape is to locate a good tech person first, (who knows tape gear — DUH!) and choose a deck, second. Mediocre tape recording is REALLY BORING!!!!

I see tascam is making a new tape player for 500 but read the quality is not the greatest. The vintage player I bought for cheap looks great and sounds great but has squealing in the capstans spinners. Does anyone know if these can be oiled. It does sound great and was barely used. Here’s a short video I made. JVC matching receiver and advent 1 speakers, sorry for the mess.

Here’s a short video I made. JVC matching receiver and advent 1 speakers, sorry for the mess.
Sounds great on my MacBook Pro! (Sorry ... can't help with the oiling, but if you try, I suggest you use watch or clock movement oil .... and apply it with the tiny oilers used in watch and clock repair. I bit of wire with a hammered end would do. And sewing machine oil may do the trick too. [NOT WD-40 and the like])

When done right and I’m talking about using top of the line 1990’s equipment and BASF Chrome II blank cassettes, a personal recording will be better than a prerecorded studio cassette.

Been there, done that......and want the t-shirt !!!

When done right and I’m talking about using top of the line 1990’s equipment and BASF Chrome II blank cassettes, a personal recording will be better than a prerecorded studio cassette.

Back in the days when cassette tape was ubiquitous, given any quality Type II or IV tape, your comment was always taken as common knowledge. So if anyone not from those days is gauging the performance of tape based on studio produced cassettes, he/she should take note. I 'm not saying that there were never any really good recordings, just that neither I nor friends never heard any.

Interest in cassettes is strong here in NZ. Good decks sell well and don't hang around long. I just sold a storage box with about 30 mixed genre pre-recorded cassettes for a very tidy amount on our auction site :)

Interest in cassettes is strong here in NZ. Good decks sell well and don't hang around long. I just sold a storage box with about 30 mixed genre pre-recorded cassettes for a very tidy amount on our auction site :)
Well, that may be one more positive towards the claim that is being made about what young people increasingly prefer these days — analogue sound. One well-known audio journalist is adamant in his claim that young people are hearing the difference — particularly in respect to MP-3 — and are seeking out analogue sources.

Well, that may be one more positive towards the claim that is being made about what young people increasingly prefer these days — analogue sound. One well-known audio journalist is adamant in his claim that young people are hearing the difference — particularly in respect to MP-3 — and are seeking out analogue sources.

Who is this journalist and how old this person? That person's age may be "tainting" their outlook to a large degree so I would not read too much into their claim. I find that people who are stuck in a particular technology or time usually end up rationalizing their idea trying to convince themselves and others that nothing beats "old school" . The real problem is the people talent used to capture the music from recording, mastering, and production and not whether the domain/technology is digital or analog. People who know what they are doing in the recording, mastering, and production process produce results that are equal in sound in either domain. To label one domain as superior and the other inferior is both ludicrous, extremely narrow minded and short sighted.

Back
Top Bottom