Speaker Info Please...My turn to tap your knowledge.

I mentioned that I tried to pry out the woofer, but the sealant is hardened, and I didn't want to damage anything. They sound very good in my opinion, so I'm satisfied to leave them alone...for now.
It is an acoustic suspension design, so you should be able to remove the screws, lay the speaker cabinet on its back, crank some tunes and the speaker will separate itself from the cabinet via the pressure built up within the cabinet.

Oh, I'm going to get them, I was just trying to find info. I've never seen that nameplate/brand before. Not expecting high-end gear, considering she also has a Knight amp and tuner and some small 90's Advents. I am curious as to what model the Pioneer speakers are. There's also a pile of cassette decks, DVD players, etc. I told her I would take it all and donate what I can't use.

View attachment 1434069
If that's a KN928 I had (well, technically still have) that amp. It developed issues that I could not resolve so I turned it into a basic amp. Thread here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...amp-design-p-p-el84-with-12ax7-driver.759935/

Maybe the one you have works fine as it is. I couldn't find a schematic for mine so that contributed to my 'let's just start all over' approach.

It is an acoustic suspension design, so you should be able to remove the screws, lay the speaker cabinet on its back, crank some tunes and the speaker will separate itself from the cabinet via the pressure built up within the cabinet.
If it didn't come out by prying the edge or lifting it out with pliers, I doubt your suggestion would work. Thanks.

If that's a KN928 I had (well, technically still have) that amp. It developed issues that I could not resolve so I turned it into a basic amp. Thread here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...amp-design-p-p-el84-with-12ax7-driver.759935/

Maybe the one you have works fine as it is. I couldn't find a schematic for mine so that contributed to my 'let's just start all over' approach.
I'm not even going to plug it in. It's going up for sale. I'm not into tube gear...yet. I can barely keep the solid state stuff up and running.

Pull the woofers. Let's see the magnets, baskets and voice coil size. Then we will know if these are something special or not.
Look very similar to the AR-4x's woofers, sans a different color surround.

Look very similar to the AR-4x's woofers, sans a different color surround.
I have exceptional Google search skills, and I still can't find out anything about them. I'm pretty convinced that they are not from the USA. Can't get over the build quality and the sound is very good for a small speaker. I've only tried pulling one of the woofers. I'll see if the other one will budge.

Ok, I got the woofer out! Single cap "crossover". They slopped the sealant all over the second speaker. The woofer is marked "4X-2748" in black, and "4X2748H", "137 7101" in very light blue stamping.

IMG_4026.JPEG IMG_4028.jpeg

Stamped steel basket? What magnet type and voice coil size. Looks like a cts woofer.

The cabinet and baffle construction looks like the old Bill Hecht designed Fisher XP speakers. Those speakers also used cts woofers.

Bill Hecht's company, United Speaker Systems made Fisher speakers, and from the looks of the cabinet and woofer, United Speaker Systems may have built these.

I would bet money that United Speaker Systems built these for Filip, and used CTS like they always did.

If this is the case they are American built and of good quality, solid construction.

I'm still not much closer to knowing what these things are. CTS woofer made possibly in 1971, which is good information, but it seems strange that a company would put it's own badge on a well-built speaker and there is no mention of them online. I'll keep looking...

I'm still not much closer to knowing what these things are. CTS woofer made possibly in 1971, which is good information, but it seems strange that a company would put it's own badge on a well-built speaker and there is no mention of them online. I'll keep looking...

Built by United Speaker Systems for filip with cts.

Seems like you are a bit closer.

Built by United Speaker Systems for filip with cts.

Seems like you are a bit closer.
Agreed, but I would like to find out more about the company. Were they based in the U.S., did they sell other components/speaker models, years they were in business, etc. They must be a rare find, because I can usually find anything with a Google search, even if it takes some time.

Agreed, but I would like to find out more about the company. Were they based in the U.S., did they sell other components/speaker models, years they were in business, etc. They must be a rare find, because I can usually find anything with a Google search, even if it takes some time.

Filip Keller is a speaker designer who has several patents on speakers. See https://patents.google.com/?inventor=Filip+Keller

It may well be that Filip had a line of speakers made to his specifications and labeled with his first name. Since his patents seem to be from Germany, you may want to search for German companies and equipment using Google Advance Search tools.

I found his name by doing a Google search for "filip stereo equipment." That took me to the AER Loudspeakers site.

Filip Keller is a speaker designer who has several patents on speakers. See https://patents.google.com/?inventor=Filip+Keller

It may well be that Filip had a line of speakers made to his specifications and labeled with his first name. Since his patents seem to be from Germany, you may want to search for German companies and equipment using Google Advance Search tools.

I found his name by doing a Google search for "filip stereo equipment." That took me to the AER Loudspeakers site.
Thanks. I searched on those exact terms using search operators, and didn't find what you did. I'll check it out. Appreciate the help.

That Knight stack is killer, I’d be happy to have that. I had an 6g6 Integrated that matched very well with some early Cornwall’s.

The 70s was a time when there were a lot of small speaker manufacturers, and many brands made specifically for particular stores as inexpensive store brands. Filip may have been sold at certain stores, or who knows. It's not surprising to see obscure brands from that era, happens all the time. Since they are 'ok' speakers but not high end, they never gained a following in the modern collector community. Probably not much published info about them, compared to, say, Altec's data sheets on their speakers and drivers. They were not heavily marketed nationally. They predate the internet. Taken together it is not surprising there is 'nothing on the web.'

Except now there is. :thumbsup:

The 70s was a time when there were a lot of small speaker manufacturers, and many brands made specifically for particular stores as inexpensive store brands. Filip may have been sold at certain stores, or who knows. It's not surprising to see obscure brands from that era, happens all the time. Since they are 'ok' speakers but not high end, they never gained a following in the modern collector community. Probably not much published info about them, compared to, say, Altec's data sheets on their speakers and drivers. They were not heavily marketed nationally. They predate the internet. Taken together it is not surprising there is 'nothing on the web.'

Except now there is. :thumbsup:
I understand about the house brands and small makers. I have often searched for long-defunct stores and brands and usually find at least a mention somewhere, no matter how obscure. I'm happy to have acquired the speakers, and I'll take them for what they are. I appreciate the help and comments I've received.

I looked in the Big List of Defunct Audio Manufacturers and they were not listed there either. Unfortch, you don't even have enough info for a listing. It should at least have an address and dates of operation.

Post more if you learn anything!

Back
Top Bottom