Help Identifying Pioneer Turntable

Keith54

I have this older Pioneer Turntable and do not see a model number on it anywhere. The guy I got it from said he bought it in the mid 60's. He had it built into a wall unit in his house. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks In Advance Keith

Attachments

• DSC00036.JPG
    DSC00036.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC00037.JPG
    DSC00037.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC00039.JPG
    DSC00039.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC00040.JPG
    DSC00040.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC00041.JPG
    DSC00041.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks very similar to a Pioneer PL4 (the idler version from the 60's, vs the direct drive version from the 80's)...but the headshell on the PL4 I've seen is black. Otherwise, seems very close.

That's a new one on me - and we've seen a few (very) vintage Pioneer turntables come into the shop over the years. Curious to see if someone can ID it.

Yep, looks like the PL-4. Predessessor to the PL-5, PL-6, PL-6A, and PL-7E. Very rare!! You dont see these often at all. That one looks like its in good shape!! Nice score!!

Not sure I like the platter matt. Those raised Pioneer lettering and symbol would make the record not sit right.

but a very cool find for sure.

nashou

Looking closer, looks like the same motor as the PL-7E. Pioneer overlapped their motors on their decks from the mid 60’s to the early 70’s.

I also bought a Pioneer SM 600 tube receiver from the same guy, he said it was about the same year, mid 60's. Probably going to sell both.

That cast top plate is great.
I have a somewhat similar Pioneer PL-7e, and it has the cast top plate (the works are very very similar on the underside). For the most part, they typically will have a pressed flexible top plate. That one with the cast top plate is a keeper.

Ok, I have a pl-4 very similar to this one. It's missing the cartridge mount. I was hoping to get a good picture to either locate or build one that would work. There is very little info on this vintage of Pioneer Idler tables. If it was a 6 or 7 series it would be no problem. The tonearm is a PLA-d-230 model. I'm thinking it might have been built by Grace for Pioneer as it's very similar to their G-340. Even if you can't help, Thanks for the offer.

Back
Top Bottom