Any Subaru guys out there?

Been a while since I’ve been back on here little update on the engine swap everything’s goin good so far all that’s left is clean and prep work pull the 2.2 out of the legacy no problem upload_2019-1-27_12-51-52.jpeg
Took the time to change gaskets and seals clean a few thing up and looking over the rest of the engine to make sure all was well also robbed the 2.5s oil pan since mine had a softball size dent in it upload_2019-1-27_12-53-55.jpeg
upload_2019-1-27_12-54-6.jpeg
Now have the 2.5 sitting on the ground with its sucked valve and need to clean to engine bay out in the forester and get it painted and slap the tourque converter on the 2.2 and drop it in. But while the forester is down it give me a chance to do a couple of other thing like redo the headline and interior panels. I chose amost an Sti blue for the headliner and door panel sections and going with black for practically everything else now have probably 70% of the interior painted in black.
upload_2019-1-27_12-58-45.jpeg
upload_2019-1-27_12-59-12.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-27_12-58-11.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-27_12-58-11.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1
Been a while since I’ve been back on here little update on the engine swap everything’s goin good so far all that’s left is clean and prep work pull the 2.2 out of the legacy no problem View attachment 1400383
Took the time to change gaskets and seals clean a few thing up and looking over the rest of the engine to make sure all was well also robbed the 2.5s oil pan since mine had a softball size dent in it View attachment 1400386
View attachment 1400388
Now have the 2.5 sitting on the ground with its sucked valve and need to clean to engine bay out in the forester and get it painted and slap the tourque converter on the 2.2 and drop it in. But while the forester is down it give me a chance to do a couple of other thing like redo the headline and interior panels. I chose amost an Sti blue for the headliner and door panel sections and going with black for practically everything else now have probably 70% of the interior painted in black.
View attachment 1400394
View attachment 1400395
Wow, nice work!

I test drove a 2019 WRX STI a few weeks ago. It was fast and loud. I loved it and hated it at the same time! LOL.

It was red with the giant wing. Ticket city baby!

Fellow at work tells me today that his friend purchased a new 2017 Outback; motor blew a few weeks ago,and is totally scrapped.According to him,the owner is a very ''mellow'' driver,so no abuse involved.I'll try to get more information tomorrow on how the dealer is handling this.Jeez,I'm really starting to reconsider this brand......
What was the follow up story to this?

I drove about a 2014 STi and a 2016 WRX and honestly, for just having a fun daily driver, I preferred the WRX.

The WRX felt like it was always on the verge of being in the power band while if you short-shifted the STi, it didn't really feel like a fast car.

I'm sure if you drive at 90% routinely, the STi is a blast but I felt more energetic in the WRX and honestly, neither felt as edgy as a 2001-2004 WRX.

I'd really like to find an unmolested, unmodded, never wrecked 2003 or 2004 WRX hatch with a manual in a blue or silver/gray but they are slim pickins.

Last edited:
I've been gone too long. There's a thread for me now? We've got five, but the '87 GL coupe is my favorite. I also have a '96 Impreza project and a '91 Legacy daily beater. My fiancee has a '93 Impreza as a daily, and a '94 Loyale that was her summer car, but is currently in need of head gaskets. I don't have an up-to-date pic of the '96 Impreza, but a few that I had on hand are below.

TAJJzWq.jpg

7mCynhu.jpg

KBA5ni4.jpg

EqdHzS0.jpg

a9RhMEM.png

DHvGmi3.jpg

I drove about a 2014 STi and a 2016 WRX and honestly, for just having a fun daily driver, I preferred the WRX.

The WRX felt like it was always on the verge of being in the power band while if you short-shifted the STi, it didn't really feel like a fast car.

I'm sure if you drive at 90% routinely, the STi is a blast but I felt more energetic in the WRX and honestly, neither felt as edgy as a 2001-2004 WRX.

I'd really like to find an unmolested, unmodded, never wrecked 2003 or 2004 WRX hatch with a manual in a blue or silver/gray but they are slim pickins.
A 2015 WRX is my daily ride. A lot of fun, and (gasp) practical. Average 28.5 MPG and I'm not light on the gas. I tell people it was the cheapest, fastest car I could find.

I like Subaru's commitment to station wagons. However. I prefer FWD or shift into 4WD as necessary. I also prefer less dealership parts network dependence. And easier service outside dealerships. I like the car a lot in many ways. On my short list. Good thing, I am within 30 miles of a Subie dealership (and one of the oldest to sell them continuously). I like their common sense nature a lot.

Been driving Subies almost exclusively since '87 when I got my first 4wd hi/lo and loved it...lots of Colorado mountain passes were seen in that car :) Now have around 1.8 million miles in various models...been really reliable for me and that's what counts in my world :)

^^^ Glad to hear that they're reliable, since we recently bought our first Subaru - a Forester. In fact this is our first Japanese car. After studying the subject almost too long (2019 manual trans no longer available) I managed to find a used 2018 Forester with the 6 speed manual and less than 5000 miles. Drove over 4 hours to buy it. Gave it a good shake down on the drive home. So far we like it. Now if it lasts over 200,000 miles like our last car I'll be happy.

Cool..my first one went 287k which was great since as mentioned a fair amount of those miles were rugged dirt passes and all....my current Forester which I got about a month ago replaced my Limited Legacy wagon which had 316k on it

It's finally nice enough to drive something other than the Legacy, so I took this one today with my '96 project on the right and my friend's on the left. His was a parts car that I gave him for free, and he has put quite a bit of effort into it.

LjRVHYx.jpg

Guess the 2010 Impreza's going in for that air bag propellant recall next month. Honda's got a million+ doing the same thing.

In keeping with the Sube theme...in the midst of a general to do over whether the X-Trail (Nissan) is to be replaced by a newer Nissan Rogue or Forester. I want the Forester of course, but the SO's had good luck with the X-Trail...so she want an updated Nissan. But, got a feeling it ain't in the same league as the X-Trail (Its cuz to the Xterra). It"s only found in Can/UK/Aus/S. Africa. It runs/acts like more like an older Land Rover than the newer Rogue. Having had at least 5 Subes in my past, they are reliable, solid and will give good service. But, there's a SO in this SUV equation to take into account.:rolleyes:

Hard to believe they (SO's) came from our rib, eh?:biggrin:

Q

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom