Considering Kappa 8's. Will my amp be sufficient?

Codis

I recently heard a set of IRS Sigmas and was instantly sold on the classic infinity sound. I realize these speakers may be considerably better than the Kappa 8s, but I found a pair at a reasonable cost that have already been restored and my presumption is they will be overall easier to power.

I'm currently running a Crown ps-400 (165 watts per channel into 8Ω) with a McIntosh C30 pre. Will that alone be enough to power these?

Im also considering using the PS-400 for the lows and adding in a Crown DC-300a II, to handle the highs. Would this bi-amping make a huge difference in sound?

Here's a shot of my current listening room setup if it helps to see.. These speakers would replace a set of ESS amt-1b's
https://drive.google.com/open?id=184itRerdK1GXD5xawQ-M5N7oXxsAZhR_

Thanks for the help!

I'm not normally one to disagree with jazzmans when it comes to infinity (or Crown), but...

Are these original Kappa 8s, or 8is? If original 8s, I wouldn't play them loud with any amp not rated for a 2 ohm load.

I'm not normally one to disagree with jazzmans when it comes to infinity (or Crown), but...

Are these original Kappa 8s, or 8is? If original 8s, I wouldn't play them loud with any amp not rated for a 2 ohm load.
My understanding was it's only the kappa 9 that has the 2 ohm impedence issue. Am I wrong?

apparently I'm incorrect.

...The speaker's measured sensitivity of 86 dB SPL was close to the rated value. Its impedance curve was unusual, with a range of variation that made it difficult to categorize. The minimum impedance was 1.3 ohms, at 40 Hz, one of the lowest we have measured, and it varied between that value and 4 ohms over the range from 20 to 250 Hz. The maximum, 9.5 ohms, was reached at 1,000 Hz, and the impedance was a nearly constant 2.4 to 2.8 ohms from 1,800 to 20,000 Hz.

We would consider a rating of 8 or even 4 ohms for this speaker to be unrealistic; the impedance was typically 3 ohms or less over most of the audio range. We had no difficulty in driving it with several different amplifiers, but it is conceivable that some amplifiers would not take kindly to the load it presents.

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/infinity-kappa-8-126.html

These are the original Kappa 8. I did read quite about about the ohms dropping low. Partly why I thought it might benefit from bi-amping. As I understand it, the crowns have pretty solid protection circuits built in that should prevent a disaster?

These are the original Kappa 8. I did read quite about about the ohms dropping low. Partly why I thought it might benefit from bi-amping. As I understand it, the crowns have pretty solid protection circuits built in that should prevent a disaster?

In theory yes. In practice, it's not rated below 4 ohms so I wouldn't personally recommend it to drive Kappas. Some theories aren't worth testing.

I recently heard a set of IRS Sigmas and was instantly sold on the classic infinity sound. I realize these speakers may be considerably better than the Kappa 8s, but I found a pair at a reasonable cost that have already been restored and my presumption is they will be overall easier to power.

I'm currently running a Crown ps-400 (165 watts per channel into 8Ω) with a McIntosh C30 pre. Will that alone be enough to power these?

Im also considering using the PS-400 for the lows and adding in a Crown DC-300a II, to handle the highs. Would this bi-amping make a huge difference in sound?

Here's a shot of my current listening room setup if it helps to see.. These speakers would replace a set of ESS amt-1b's
https://drive.google.com/open?id=184itRerdK1GXD5xawQ-M5N7oXxsAZhR_

Thanks for the help!

Nice looking space. What kind of speakers are you running now. I can’t tell from the top view. You will like the 8s. I have the 9s and really like them.

Nice looking space. What kind of speakers are you running now. I can’t tell from the top view. You will like the 8s. I have the 9s and really like them.

Thank you! They are the ESS amt-1b's. I found them being sold by the original owner with woofers that needed refoaming. I couldn't pass up the asking price and the ended up really impressing me despite the negative posts I see about them.

Last question, I could also pick up a set up rs4's that need all the woofers refoamed, for fairly cheap. Is this a fairly solid setup or will it leave me disappointed?

Biamping will not help with the impedance issue, and in my limited experience doesn't affect the sound all that much (although others have expressed favorable opinions about it). Does the PS-400 have protection circuitry? If so you should be OK driving the K8s with it. I've used them with a couple of amps that weren't specifically rated for under 4 ohms (Heathkit AA1800 and Soundcraftsmen PM800) with no ill effects to speakers or amps (although I did blow a fuse in the Heathkit a couple of times, but that was when I was playing them much louder than normal).

Biamping will not help with the impedance issue, and in my limited experience doesn't affect the sound all that much (although others have expressed favorable opinions about it). Does the PS-400 have protection circuitry? If so you should be OK driving the K8s with it. I've used them with a couple of amps that weren't specifically rated for under 4 ohms (Heathkit AA1800 and Soundcraftsmen PM800) with no ill effects to speakers or amps (although I did blow a fuse in the Heathkit a couple of times, but that was when I was playing them much louder than normal).

From what I understand, the Crown's have very robust protection circuitry.

BTW, if you're talking about this RS4, I think you'll be quite happy with those. Not as high end as the Kappas but still a solid set of speakers. If you're talking about the model below then they're not nearly in the same class.

1581633-infinity-rs4-speakers-sound-amazing-amp-mint-condition-have-the-rs5-set-as-well-100.jpg

BTW, if you're talking about this RS4, I think you'll be quite happy with those. Not as high end as the Kappas but still a solid set of speakers. If you're talking about the model below then they're not nearly in the same class.

Definitely the classic RS 4/b!

I would ditch or sell your current amps IMHO. If your talking about original Kappa 8’s. Purchase a new XLS 1502 or higher and be done with it. I’ve tried the biamping thing with them, several times with Adcom 555’s and Carver 500’s and at least to me I never heard any benefit.

To me the Kappa 8’s always sounded best with a single amplifier, I’m not saying that some sort of solid state and tube amp, or single tube amp couldn’t work and sound awesome but in my experience a single amp with balls will shine with the Kappas.

I think the original Kappa 8’s are an all around excellent speaker and if that’s all I ever had I’d be a very happy guy !

Back
Top Bottom