AK Retiree Club

Retired to Palm Beach County about five years ago and here are photos of the house and backyard. The house is five miles from the beach and Atlantic Ocean (about 30 minute bike ride).

The house is Key West architecture style with metal roof. It's only about 1,800 sq ft inside but has a large covered front porch and screened lanai in back, so nice outdoor spaces we use all the time.

Salt-water pool in back, it's small but "swimmable", you need about 8 strokes to swim across. The house is newer construction so built to latest hurricane codes. Garage is attached in back and your driveway leads to an alley.

Neighborhood is mix of younger families with kids, older retired people, and single working people. It has a nice vibe - not that "gated-community old people vibe".

It is a very nice place to live.

Cheers,

Snade

View attachment 1449889 View attachment 1449890
And we still miss you here up north!

I hired a professional painter to paint my house 3 or 4 years ago - he told me he (or his crew) never “tapes” - they do it all by hand with the sharp edge of the brush. His work without tape was excellent - you would never know.

When I started in the building trades, you weren't really a painter if you couldn't cut a clean line with a brush. A basic skill.
More or less along the same lines as the old pre-nail gun carpenter "rule" about being able to sink a 12 penny nail with two blows of a hammer....time and time again.

I don't necessarily think that applies anymore, but I personally don't use tape because the paint tends to leaks under the tape and you end up having to re-cut the line by hand anyway.
Why not do it right the first time?
I actually find it faster to cut by hand.
No time spent mucking about with tape.
But then, I'm pretty good with a brush.

Last edited:
I retired 11 years ago at the ripe old age of 55. I never was very good at work and seemed to excel at doing nothing so retirement was a perfect fit.
The trick is finding out how to get paid for doing nothing. I'm slowly figuring it out.

I had a pretty good afternoon in the shop today. Saved the worst machine for last, the planer. An old 5hp cast iron beast. New belts, knives, dressed the rollers and table and lubed. Not a fan of spending an hour with a dial indicator setting the knives, but it’s old school so has no indexing pins or ledges.
Afterwards I milled all the stock to thickness for my project. The planed thickness was within.002”, so the set up is good. All the jugs and fixtures are made and dialed so I can move forward and make the piece. The fun part.
Pics shortly.

Do you mean working and doing nothing and still get paid or retire and do nothing ?
No. I worked my butt off and bought property. Now my rentals and first deed notes pay me to do nothing.
I still "work' selling my military surplus goodies on ebay:thumbsup:

Our house is a big Victorian (painted lady) - took them almost a month to finish the job (including the carriage house).

Here is a front and back of the house.

That is a beautiful house with great architecture. I like the color too.

Now living in Florida (former Chicago guy), I do miss the architecture of homes up north.

Cheers,

Snade

Thanks Snade - people stop by all the time to ask what the colors are called. Of course that’s my wife’s department - it took her months to come up with the colors.

We live in a very old village (famous for building 5 masted schooners in the 1800’s) on a tidal river - our house was built in 1904 and is one of the newest on our street.

Back
Top Bottom