Any Sly Stone Fans Out There

I love Sly and The Family Stone. "Hot Fun In The Summertime" is one of my favorite songs.

-Dave

Always looking out for some sly....just recently haven't spun it yet .

Attachments

• IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2958.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 13
ive got the greatest hits album in quadraphonic and i play it when ever i crank up my quad system, i literally always get up and start dancing every time i cant help myself, and im 64 and dont move that great. AWESOME!!!! even my 13 year old daughter gets up from her computer or phone and joins me if shes around

'If You Want Me To Stay' is one of my faves from that era and the best from the band, to me. It's just the perfect mix of all that they were - funk and soul and a great bass line.

Cynthia and Jerry have a message that's sayin' all the squares go home! Sly & The Family Stone were way ahead of their time and were what used to be called a "Crossover" group, meaning they appealed to all music fans regardelss of race. Most of their music has aged really well and still sounds great to these ears. I always manage to slip a Sly tune into my many playlists. If you don't dig Sly Stone, I can't help you.

Moi's hip San Francisco cousins indoctrinated their naive valley cuz into Sly & Family Stone waay back-in-da-daze! Cuz Pam was friends with Chepito, percussionist in Santana's Blues Band. She had insights into lots of the hottest local S. F. bands. Moi's city cuzzes considered Sly's first three albums their music! S.B.B., however, had yet to drop a record. Things changed drastically for both bands after Woodstock! Unfortunately, there wasn't a template for the kind of massive success both bands enjoyed, which led to boths' implosion. Graham Central Station, Thank God, helped with those post-Sly blues! Enjoyed Santana's jazz journeys, too (;{) ... Was privileged to work with, & be mentored by, one of late-great trumpet player Cynthia Robinson's relatives! She braved Sactown's mean streets in her Family Stone-era Jaguar! ... Saw 5/7ths Family Stone reunion during Sinbad's Soul Music Festival '97 tour inside Concord Pavillion. Cynthia Robinson, Jerry Martini, Rose Stone, & Freddie Stone joined Larry Graham's Central Station for a Sly Stone Revue! ... 73s para Sactown

Last edited:
This was the tour I saw. I remember that they used all Acoustic equipment that had been painted out in white.

XGESLYL-720x498.jpg

If you listen to Stand, There's a Riot Goin' On and Fresh they are all way ahead of their time. Pretty much the foundation of Funk, Disco and Rap.
Big fan here...their set at Woodstock is amazing and really highlighted how far ahead of their time they were. ....
.... Sly & The Family Stone were way ahead of their time..... If you don't dig Sly Stone, I can't help you.

(from Wikipedia)...Music critic Joel Selvin wrote, "there are two types of black music: black music before Sly Stone, and black music after Sly Stone".

....Unfortunately, there wasn't a template for the kind of massive success both bands enjoyed, which led to boths' implosion. ....

Success on a grand scale can be very difficult to manage. Something that very few of us understand or will ever experience first hand.

Last edited:
I believe he was a complete scum-bag.
I don't know if he was a complete scum-bag, but Sly Stone was at least a partial scum-bag.

A lot of our favourite artists are scum-bags.

A lot of non-artists are scum-bags too. Humans tend to be scum-bags; scumbaggery is part of the human condition.

Here on AK it might look like everyone is a shining paragon of angelic perfection and beatitude, but online people project themselves in their best light. At least, usually: I do wonder about the ones who obviously can't manage it.

In real life, I bet most of us wouldn't even be nominated for non-scumbag-of-the-year.

There are certain musicians that come with a dark mystic, surrounded by folklore.

You would have wanted to avoid their tour bus, or dressing room.

Back
Top Bottom