Infinity Kappa 9s - Ground-up restoration and major improvements.

Bradmich

Hello fellow audio heads! - thought you might enjoy seeing my latest project. I think I might make a whopping $6/hour rebuilding these....Labor of love :)

Kappa 9’s 2019 - They look, sound and perform way better than new, within significant improvements on both the crossover design and cabinet construction. See pics.

The Cabinetry

Purchased by me new in 1991 and in storage for the last 25 years, the project began by taking the cabinets down to “bare” including removing what I call the rounded “wooden heat-sinks” altogether. The original cabinets were not air tight whatsoever- requiring that literally every seam required filling, chalking and sealing. (If you have a pair- don't bother just sealing the drivers- they leak like the Titanic- everywhere). Next, the cabinets were veneered in Bubinga wood, then applying 4 layers of professional satin conversion lacquer. Though not required for use, new black base plates were created and are removable. The grill cloth was upgraded and replaced as well.

The Drivers

The Poly Domes were completely rebuilt by Miller Sound and the woofers were re-foamed with new dust caps applied. The Mid-bass, Semits and Emits are factory original and perform perfectly. All of the drivers had foam sealing material applied to ensure a true air-tight (tight bass control) cabinet.

The Crossovers

The heart of any speaker system. Kappa 9s are well known for being inefficient and loads dipping below 1 ohm, which will toast most amplifiers. This was due to the fact that Infinity original design had an inexpensive 20 gauge, 15mh transformer type coil directly across the low pass connection (See pics).

In addition to stress on the amplifier, loads this low also reduce the amplifier’s damping factor which can muddy the bass. My guess was they took this approach to better control the woofers to compensate for the massively air-leaking cabinet construction – As I understand it, they eventually abandoned this approach in later designs. The bass crossover component is now a 6db/Oct 12ga, 13mh coil. The remaining crossover design was faithfully recreated utilizing only high-grade Audyn German capacitors. The original capacitors were incredibly low-grade. (In addition to the poor quality, most all capacitors deteriorate over time, so any speaker of this age would absolutely require replacement).

The original crossover coils were either 20ga wire wound or iron core which can saturate/distort the audio signal, plus their placement was also extremely close which can introduce audio crosstalk. All of the coils were upgraded to air core and increased wire gauge for improved efficiency and sound resolution. They were also properly distanced and placed on different dimensional planes. The crossover materials ALONE were over $1,000.00 and required 60+ hours of meticulous effort.

The sound:

OMG! For a FACT, you’ve never heard Kappas 9s EVER sound this good AND just about any amp can now drive them - it's a mind bender. If you’re a Kappa fanatic, these are nirvana. For me, it’s onto a new project and am selling them.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• BAck Cross Panel.jpg
    BAck Cross Panel.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Cabiner Top.jpg
    Cabiner Top.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Front- MAIN.jpg
    Front- MAIN.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Front w-grills.jpg
    Front w-grills.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 79
  • New Cross- CU.jpg
    New Cross- CU.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 92
  • New Cross.jpg
    New Cross.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 92
  • New Veneer.jpg
    New Veneer.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 87
  • New Cross installed.jpg
    New Cross installed.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Orignal-Cross--Open.jpg
    Orignal-Cross--Open.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 81
For the asking price I’d say you’d do ok if they sell. Nice work though, I’d love to hear them next to an original pair.

Nice, I too am also selling some speakers!

Is that a new "thing"?
Restoring speakers and then posting about them here right around the time they are put on ebay?
2nd in the last week with big Infinitys.

Both did nice restorations, timing just seems a bit suspect IMO.

There's a lot of speakers being listed on eBAy, and being described as refinished. But, mostly the refinishing is cosmetic only. External upgrades, with nothing touched internally. So, it's nice to see a set a speakers that have truly been refinished! A wonderful job, inside and out. My only "complaint"; I'd have loved to have seen some Audyn Cap Plus capacitors used on the Emit tweeters. A bit better than the standard Q4 caps. But, otherwise, a beautiful restore. Well done. :D

Back
Top Bottom