Kenwood Basic C2 or Yamaha C-70??

Andyman

Scroungus Stereophilus
Subscriber
Just got a good deal on a Yamaha C-70 preamp today and wonder what the opinions are on this vs. my current Kenwood Basic C2?

I haven't had a chance to hook up the Yamaha yet, but I wanted to toss this out to see how folks view them, especially the Phono stages. Both seem like quite decent pieces...

Let me know!

I've had a few C2's, one was recapped and upgraded by an excellent tech, the other was all original. Both left me cold, which is also how I'd describe their sound. I'm very much in the minority on this as it seems the Kenwood C2 has an excellent rep.

I've not heard the C-70, but I'm a vinyl guy and I've always very much liked the phono stages in every Yamaha I've ever heard. I don't care for Yammy amps, I'm more of a Sansui amp lover FWIW.

Depends, are you happy with the Basic C2? Has it been refurbished, if not it can do better.

Recently picked up a Basic C2, sounded ok but not great. Currently being refurb'd.
Got a C-70, still needs a little work.
Tinkered with a few of the yamaha control amps, if you can get a C-70 reasonably priced I'd chase it.
It may need some work like relays etc... but at the end of the day it is a nice pre.

Kenwood certainly made some good gear, but so did Sansui, Marantz, Yamaha,,,
The all made some cr@p gear also, so I'm not brand loyal.

Kenwood certainly made some good gear, but so did Sansui, Marantz, Yamaha,,,The all made some cr@p gear also, so I'm not brand loyal.

True! I really like Kenwood too, love my recapped KR-77, my little KA-2002 - so I'm not a Kenwood hater by any means.

Reactions: mbz
Ooooooh-kay...

I finally hooked up the C-70 and immediately notice the Volume pot comes on strong in that it's calibrated with a higher start so it comes on louder sooner. but looking right now, I see the number corresponds to the same level as the Kenwood, so i guess that's a moot point. But I'm liking the phono stage a bit more, at least through the 3 sides I've played so far. It seems to be a "livelier" sound with a more well defined bass, but at any rate it's intrigued me enough to keep it in the system for a prolonged test. I'll spin some more sides and genres and see if the magic remains.

Looks like another head scratcher for me... :D

No. I'm not sure what that is, but I did see the inputs on the back for it.Something about it bypassing the parametric EQ circuitry, which I have in defeat mode
Playing the tuner now and that same fresher sound seems to be there.

Ooooooh-kay...

I finally hooked up the C-70 and immediately notice the Volume pot comes on strong in that it's calibrated with a higher start so it comes on louder sooner. but looking right now, I see the number corresponds to the same level as the Kenwood, so i guess that's a moot point. But I'm liking the phono stage a bit more, at least through the 3 sides I've played so far. It seems to be a "livelier" sound with a more well defined bass, but at any rate it's intrigued me enough to keep it in the system for a prolonged test. I'll spin some more sides and genres and see if the magic remains.

Looks like another head scratcher for me... :D
I definitely don't doubt that the Yamaha sounds livelier. I used the Kenwood C2 in a demo sysrsy at Highland Superstore where I worked from 1987-1990 with the Kenwood M2A amplifier (220 watts per channel), and then in 1995-1997 in a friend's system with the lower powered Kenwood M1D amplifier(110 watts per channel).
In BOTH cases, I had a problem with a channel going out when I switched the function or record selector knob. I tried the C2 in my personal system, and I noticed it being extremely dull and lifeless.

I guess one would ask the question, is it dull and lifeless or neutral? Is the Yamaha coloring parts of the sound? I always hear alot of people talking about neutral/ non colored sound. Sometimes a little "life" isn't a bad thing.

I guess one would ask the question, is it dull and lifeless or neutral? Is the Yamaha coloring parts of the sound? I always hear alot of people talking about neutral/ non colored sound. Sometimes a little "life" isn't a bad thing.

Funny thing is, it's Yamaha that has often been described as "flat" or "neutral."

Well, I do have a phone audio app I can scan with, so maybe it will see if there some peaks or valleys in a signal between the two.

But so far, I like the Yamaha enough to keep it and sell the Kenwood I've been using. I have a second I am planning to modify too, plus Kegger's Anthem, so it's not an irreversible decision by any means.

Last edited:
Y'all should give this a listen...at the same price point. Sansui C-2101
c-2101.jpg

IMHO...it sounds better than my other preamp

parasound-pld-1100-preamplifier.jpg
Parasound PLD 1100...John Curl's entry level design. Which is pretty nice.

Well, Keg's Anthem is the real keeper. I had it sold, but it had a noise issue so I refunded the buyer and bought it myself so his parents didn't lose the sale. That way I can sort it out and resell it later w/o affecting them.
And I was pleased with the Kenwood. I had one years ago, sold it to go tube, them rebought one when I needed more connections for ripping vinyl. The Yamaha was bought a couple weeks ago as a flip, but after I put it into my system, it just sort of grabbed me, just like my AR XA table and Altec A7s did.

Well, Keg's Anthem is the real keeper. I had it sold, but it had a noise issue so I refunded the buyer and bought it myself so his parents didn't lose the sale. That way I can sort it out and resell it later w/o affecting them.
And I was pleased with the Kenwood. I had one years ago, sold it to go tube, them rebought one when I needed more connections for ripping vinyl. The Yamaha was bought a couple weeks ago as a flip, but after I put it into my system, it just sort of grabbed me, just like my AR XA table and Altec A7s did.
Good review Andy.... always have my eyes open for new preamp ideas.

Back
Top Bottom