C28 to C33

Stopped in last night and ran into a little snag. Turns out the unit is past the 90 day consignment term so the Owner of the store needs to contact the owner of the C33 to get an ok to sell. Called an hour ago and still no word..........

BTW-the unit is in spectacular shape. Faceplate is perfect.

Stay tuned....

You will notice an improvement moving up to a C33 from a C28. I have a C30 and a friend has a restored C28, even "IF" the C28 is meeting spec, the C33 has a lower noise floor but most importantly, the C33 will stay right longer than the wonky C28.

Reactions: Tia
Stopped in last night and ran into a little snag. Turns out the unit is past the 90 day consignment term so the Owner of the store needs to contact the owner of the C33 to get an ok to sell. Called an hour ago and still no word..........

BTW-the unit is in spectacular shape. Faceplate is perfect.

Stay tuned....
Pick up that MC2500 while you’re at it ... you only live once.

I have owned both a Terry DeWick refurbed C28 and a C33 also refurbed by him. The C28 while very good for it's time, is no Match for the C33. it is one of my most favorite pieces of audio gear I had ever owned. Even though I have a c 50 which sounds better than the c33 , that's pretty much how far you will have to go to get an improvement on it. Very good piece. Had I not needed to fund a C50/ MC452 purchase, I'd have kept it.

OK guys and gals, the results are in................and the consensus was RIGHT! The C33 is indeed a fine machine. This unit has to be the most significant upgrade to date.

Now the C28 is no slouch in the scheme of things, it just doesn't fit with what I want to do.

Back to the 33. I really do appreciate the EQ. I was able to adjust the frequencies to a point where I actually pulled the Allison Ones offline, running the AR9's solo. Another unanticipated result is the 9's are running off one amp and there is plenty of room on the volume control, for now. I will experiment running dual mono this upcoming weekend.

Thanks for the insight, very much appreciated.

Awesome news:thumbsup:. Glad to hear you were able to land the 33 and it met or even exceeded your expectations. Have you tried the phono section yet? I think you'll be quite pleased if or when you do.

I haven't played with my TT much. I'm sure when I do, the 33 will deliver as it has so far.
Many years ago, I replaced a C28 with a C32. The greatest improvement in SQ was in the phono section, noticeably quieter. I'd like to point out that the C28 was only about 5-6 years old at the time, I'm sure it was still running to spec. The C32 was just a major upgrade in performance. I've since moved up to a C33. I'm sure I've bought the last preamp I will ever need as I've had it for probably 20 years now and it's met all my requirements regarding flexibility and SQ. About 8 years ago I sent it to Terry DeWick for his recap treatment. It came back sounding as good as new. I'm sure you will grow to love yours. Congrats on a great find.

Back to the 33. I really do appreciate the EQ. I was able to adjust the frequencies to a point where I actually pulled the Allison Ones offline, running the AR9's solo. Another unanticipated result is the 9's are running off one amp and there is plenty of room on the volume control, for now. I will experiment running dual mono this upcoming weekend.

Thanks for the insight, very much appreciated.

Oddly enough that you post this now, I've recently put my C-34v into service (pretty much the same as your preamp with different sources) and have been experimenting with Amazon Music.

I'm finding that much of the music (not all) on there makes me kick up the 30 and 150 Hz controls so the music sounds right. I'm in and out of my chair because of that.

I've got an opportunity to get into some hypergear, but this situation makes me leery of losing the EQ.

Love that you're with the C-33 now, one of Mcintosh's greats. I like the old styling on yours, long knobs and chromed side pieces. My pre (and my MCD-7007) have block aluminum sidepieces, and the pre has the newer short knobs.

It'll match your MC-2200's, but your system is now asking you to scout out an MC-2255. (or two)

Nice work!

Mike

but this situation makes me leery of losing the EQ
I stream Spotify pretty much exclusively. I'm not sure if it is the EQ or the unit as a whole, but it does a good job making most of the music sound good without manipulating the controls. This is my preliminary findings and could change over time. Saturday night we went from Jazz (my choice) to Olivia Newton John (wifes choice) to Volbeat (son and GF choice) and it did well with all. Only adjustment was volume. I just needed to adjust (increase) my wine intake for the Volbeat session since I was, well, not drunk enough?????:dunno:

I stream Spotify pretty much exclusively. I'm not sure if it is the EQ or the unit as a whole, but it does a good job making most of the music sound good without manipulating the controls. This is my preliminary findings and could change over time. Saturday night we went from Jazz (my choice) to Olivia Newton John (wifes choice) to Volbeat (son and GF choice) and it did well with all. Only adjustment was volume. I just needed to adjust (increase) my wine intake for the Volbeat session since I was, well, not drunk enough?????:dunno:

I like some of the Progrock stuff, Shadow Gallery, Dream Theater and the like, but I can agree that if jazz is your pref; Volbeat could be a tough one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom