Information Sources ?

JD#7

I was just wondering what everyone is using for resources for getting up to date reading on new music releases. ( besides AK ) IE: new releases, re-issues , new artists etc . In the old days I had a subscription to Billboard that was reliable .

thanks, JD

I still subscribe to Rolling Stone for that purpose. Too much "style" reporting and politics for many people, but it keeps me a little more up to date than I would be otherwise. I used this site - various "What are you listening to now" threads, etc. but found a whole lot of old stuff being enjoyed (which is quite fine by me) but not much new stuff. I still search for a source of info on new music, so will watch this thread.

Really depends what you like. Not to be snarky, but Billboard is an industry mag that is chart-driven. Rolling Stone has NEVER been accurate for my tastes as they favor songwriting (lyrical content) over musicianship. MOJO magazine was my go-to for a while, but sometimes they veer off into Euro-pop/dance-mix stuff.

Also not being snarky - is "chart driven" a good thing or not? I wouldn't give a crap what Justin Beiber is singing. Does he "chart"?

Looked at Billboard's online site. Rock chart has Queen in 12 of the top 25? WTeverlivingF?

Last edited:
I see we're getting the point of why I asked the question . Music these days is chart driven , for those of us who appreciate the music,the writing the talent , there seems to be no avenue . And why would you put Justin Beiber and 'he' in the same sentence ? :)

I tend to use online media sources, like YouTube, Di.FM, and to a lessor extent, SiriusXM. But it isn't just new music per se, but new to me. I keep discovering even older music that I didn't know existed. Last year I discovered Slow Dive. I was amazed to learn that they formed 30 years ago.

SiriusXM .. various channels. Find something I like (artist or song) .. I'll stream the album on Tidal for a detailed listen.

So I found a interesting source . It's called MP3 Streams , an add-on in Kodi . Lots of categories and lists .

Pandora. Put in an artist you like under "stations" and the app will play selections from that artist and others who are similar.

Back
Top Bottom