AK Retiree Club

If you rode a motorcycle when you were younger but got away from it, I encourage you to consider these new bikes in the 300cc to 500cc range.

I picked up a Honda CB500F - super fun bike. It's lightweight, easy to ride, very forgiving if you let the clutch out too quickly or miss a rev, and has a comfortable riding position.

Also very affordable, picked this guy up slightly used for $4 grand. Insurance is super cheap for an older rider.

I use it for short rides along the beach roads or intercostal areas here in Florida, almost never ride on the interstate and I ride when the traffic is light.

These naked, modern bikes remind me of the Honda bikes I rode in the 70's (like the 400F), but these new bikes are better - better suspension, better brakes and more reliable.

Here are a couple of photos, having a blast with this bike.

Cheers, Snade

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 2.27.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 2.28.07 PM.png

If you rode a motorcycle when you were younger but got away from it, I encourage you to consider these new bikes in the 300cc to 500cc range.

I picked up a Honda CB500F - super fun bike. It's lightweight, easy to ride, very forgiving if you let the clutch out too quickly or miss a rev, and has a comfortable riding position.

Also very affordable, picked this guy up slightly used for $4 grand. Insurance is super cheap for an older rider.

I use it for short rides along the beach roads or intercostal areas here in Florida, almost never ride on the interstate and I ride when the traffic is light.

These naked, modern bikes remind me of the Honda bikes I rode in the 70's (like the 400F), but these new bikes are better - better suspension, better brakes and more reliable.

Here are a couple of photos, having a blast with this bike.

Cheers, Snade

View attachment 1453244 View attachment 1453245
Very nice!

Funny... I had a hankering for a bike and was looking last night. In my 20s I had a KZ 1000. Rushing to a date, I clipped a Caddy backing out of a driveway and cartwheeled it down a hill and destroyed it. In my 30s had a family and got semi-responsible. Haven't had a bike since.

I was looking at a used BMW F800 GS and a F650 GS. I used to race motocross, so I love riding in the dirt. I think the 650GS would be good for tooling around the island at reasonable speeds and still get me off road.

Ride safe!

Very nice!

Funny... I had a hankering for a bike and was looking last night. In my 20s I had a KZ 1000. Rushing to a date, I clipped a Caddy backing out of a driveway and cartwheeled it down a hill and destroyed it. In my 30s had a family and got semi-responsible. Haven't had a bike since.

I was looking at a used BMW F800 GS and a F650 GS. I used to race motocross, so I love riding in the dirt. I think the 650GS would be good for tooling around the island at reasonable speeds and still get me off road.

Ride safe!

I find as you get older, if you play baseball you do better with a lighter bat. I play tennis and have been moving to a lighter racquet as I get older. I get a faster swing speed and more spin with a lighter racquet.

These modern 300cc and 500cc motorcycles are light and flickable. I feel more confident zipping around Palm Beach County in one of these bikes. And when you are more relaxed, you ride safer and better. And they are a ton of fun.

Cheers,

Snade

I find as you get older, if you play baseball you do better with a lighter bat. I play tennis and have been moving to a lighter racquet as I get older. I get a faster swing speed and more spin with a lighter racquet.

These modern 300cc and 500cc motorcycles are light and flickable. I feel more confident zipping around Palm Beach County in one of these bikes. And when you are more relaxed, you ride safer and better. And they are a ton of fun.

Cheers,

Snade
My one and only new bike was a ‘75 400F. It was definitely quick and flickable. About 30 years later my son bought a 600F4i. Once I overcame my hesitancy to wind it to 14,000 it was like “holy shit this is fast for the “insurance” bike. I don’t think I could stay on a 1000.”

Cheers,

Snade

My problem is the "as you get older" part. My state of mind, hasn't out grown the "young and stupid" phase. It's amazing I'm still alive.

Maybe I'll get an ocean kayak and go fishing instead.

My one and only new bike was a ‘75 400F. ”

That was my first bike. I bought a red, new 400F in 1976 (it was a left over 75 model).

It still defines (for me) what a cool motorcycle should look like.

Here is a photo of the model I owned in the same colors. This bike was restored by a local motorcycle shop here in Florida. I was tempted, but I did not buy it.

Cheers, Snade

CB400F_1.jpg

That was my first bike. I bought a red, new 400F in 1976 (it was a left over 75 model).

Here is a photo of the model I owned in the same colors. This bike was restored by a local motorcycle shop here in Florida. I was tempted, but I did not buy it.

Cheers, Snade

View attachment 1453888

You should buy it and keep it in the living room with your primary system!!
We all are in favor of this. Buy it today before someone else does.

Cheers, Snade

View attachment 1453888
I did the full Yoshimura kit for 66 hp and 365 pounds. It was an amazing canyon carver with RD 350 off the line speed. Decades before modern sport bikes. Mine was red as well. If I were to ride today I’d get a restored Norton Commando John Player Special.

BC81065C-D0D6-4773-96F1-B129246CBB6D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom