My very own Technics SA-1000 (Is now working and sounding great)

zebulon1

Working on my own stuff. Finally
Subscriber
I was on a mission to find a SA-1000 and I knew it was going to be a daunting task. You never see them for sale. I read somewhere that if you wait and have patience, in a three month time, the item will show up. This of course is using all the resources available. Well It took three months to find her. She was under my nose the whole time. A trip down to southern Cal where I meet up with the owner who had hopes to repair it. I was lucky to pry it from his hands, but his tastes have changed since he took ownership and went to more high end separates. A very, very nice top of the line collection. No room for a big, heavy, over rated Technics ;). I'm glad he sold to me so I can get it back up and running.
I fell in love with the big sets as a teenager and my collection today includes many of the 70's "Monster sets". Pioneer SX-1980, 1250, 5590, Spec 1 and 2, Toshiba SA-7150, Rolel RX-1603 (on the bench). Realistic STA-2100. All restored to the degree.
Anyway, I repaired a SA-1000 for a gentleman last fall and knew I had to have one for myself.
On this set, the left channel outputs were toast (all of them! :idea:). That's is as far I have ventured. No visual clues, nothing a miss so far. Experience with this set tells me to check everything, including the funky, spring, Molex connections between the pre-stage and main amp boards.
Just taking the chassis apart to gain access is a chore. A guy can get hurt with the weight and sharp edges. Once you start removing brackets and plates it becomes very flimsy, and with the Transformer mounted in the center - the set wants to mate with the shop floor. It really is a mind blow figuring out the best way to tackle the issues. In most cases I reinstall the parts to keep it straight and plumb. This is discerning as I'm going in and out of the set, increasing the risk of damage. When you see how it goes together you can admire the engineers who had to keep this package within customer constraints. Oh and support the 65 pound welding transformer. The engineering that went into the chassis out shines the circuitry.
I've had a smile from the day the owner said he would sell it. I had to tell you guys.

Last edited:
You got a nice place to stay. Come down for a week and stay for a year. Your always welcome :beerchug:

Here's the Photos:

DSC03174.JPG

DSC03173.JPG

DSC03172.JPG

DSC03171.JPG

DSC03170.JPG

DSC03169.JPG

Need a whole set of outputs for the left channel and I'm replacing the large unregulated caps to the 22,000/100's we use in the big Pioneer's (Drop in fit). Going further; Switching to the On-Semi, MJ21193/94's will bring up the wattage to 250 from the NEC's 2SB600/2SD555's 200 watts. The rest of the Pre and Driver stages should be fine with the added wattage.

Why not do both sides with new outputs? This beast is surely worth the upgrade from soup to nuts.

Have you checked out the lame-ass speaker terminals? I rebuilt one those a couple years ago, replaced them with 5-way binding posts. Many odd ball things really make you wonder what were they thinking. Have fun aligning the impedance selection circuitry.

Craig

I love those units sold them new 330 watts/channel and such a low thd it was ridiculous Seems like you have great skills for these units.. I may send you some work if you are close I live in Sandusky Ohio. where are you at?

comish4 if you are asking me where I'm at, I'm in S. Calif. Not worth the risk of shipping. Just did a complete rebuild of a mint in box SAE preamp and UPS destroyed it by the time it got to Tucson. It was shipped in a factory box inside of another box, looks as though it got dropped a high altitude.

Craig

I have a set outputs to get the set running but I think I'll go with a complete set of MJ21193/94's after I get the amps sorted.
"IIwhtt" has a point about the Impedance adjustments. Where am I going to find a set of 6 ohm Speakers to complete the procedure? :D
The Rotel on the bench should get finished before I start on the SA-1000. So, in a few weeks and I can begin the repair/resto.

Will I kept looking at for the last year and finely decided to tackle it.
I had thrown in some spare NEC outputs but have since decided to get a new set of MJ21195/96's. The emitters check good.
I'll start on the PS and get it back up and running.
The Bulk filters will get checked using the Sencore LC75.
Try to get that done today.

The heat-shrink coating was dried, cracked and falling off. I pealed what was left off and reinstalled the holding brackets so I wouldn't loose them in storage.

DSC05334.JPG

Last edited:
The big filters check at close or above 17000uf the ESR is okay.
Original specs are 18000uf/100v

DSC05336.JPG

DSC05337.JPG

I was on a mission to find a SA-1000 and I knew it was going to be a daunting task. You never see them for sale. I read somewhere that if you wait and have patience, in a three month time, the item will show up. This of course is using all the resources available. Well It took three months to find her. She was under my nose the whole time. A trip down to southern Cal where I meet up with the owner who had hopes to repair it. I was lucky to pry it from his hands, but his tastes have changed since he took ownership and went to more high end separates. A very, very nice top of the line collection. No room for a big, heavy, over rated Technics ;). I'm glad he sold to me so I can get it back up and running.
I fell in love with the big sets as a teenager and my collection today includes many of the 70's "Monster sets". Pioneer SX-1980, 1250, 5590, Spec 1 and 2, Toshiba SA-7150, Rolel RX-1603 (on the bench). Realistic STA-2100. All restored to the degree.
Anyway, I repaired a SA-1000 for a gentleman last fall and knew I had to have one for myself.
On this set, the left channel outputs were toast (all of them! :idea:). That's is as far I have ventured. No visual clues, nothing a miss so far. Experience with this set tells me to check everything, including the funky, spring, Molex connections between the pre-stage and main amp boards.
Just taking the chassis apart to gain access is a chore. A guy can get hurt with the weight and sharp edges. Once you start removing brackets and plates it becomes very flimsy, and with the Transformer mounted in the center - the set wants to mate with the shop floor. It really is a mind blow figuring out the best way to tackle the issues. In most cases I reinstall the parts to keep it straight and plumb. This is discerning as I'm going in and out of the set, increasing the risk of damage. When you see how it goes together you can admire the engineers who had to keep this package within customer constraints. Oh and support the 65 pound welding transformer. The engineering that went into the chassis out shines the circuitry.
I've had a smile from the day the owner said he would sell it. I had to tell you guys.

Hmmm. Looks familiar.

Color me envious!Years ago I had the 165 wpc version till some idiot spilled pop all over her and destroyed it.My current poweramp has double plus the power but that's not the point the point is I always love the sa 1000 from day 1,and I was a pioneer weenie big time back then,lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom