Can you recommend a high quality DAC less music streamer

You Still need a DAC somewhere - The chromcast is a DAC. You have to convert the digital information to analog and that is a DAC.

Yes, I know.

A CCA provides the network service, and the renderer, and the DAC. But it also provides an optical S/PDIF output, which you can connect to an audiophile DAC. You can use the CCA's DAC, or you can use it as a DAC-less streamer, and connect it to a better DAC.

No optical is digital. It is the CCA that is doing the Digital to Analog conversion.

That's not correct.

S/PDIF is a purely digital PCM stream, carried by either an optical or coax bearer. Quite easily confirmed by a simple Google search.

You may be confusing the conversion of a file into the digital PCM stream carried by the S/PDIF interface; that is performed by the rendering engine, converting the streamed FLAC or mp3 file into PCM. But that is still digital, not analogue.

One of the great things about digital audio is that jitter can be reduced by a good clock recovery circuit. A good S/PDIF DAC should also have a good clock recovery circuit. That's why you can buy 'audiophile' S/PDIF or USB clock recovery devices, that are supposed to make a difference. I'm of the opinion that these should be redundant, provided the DAC has a decent clock recovery circuit.

Yes that is the issue 'A GOOD' converter, not sure is Chromcast is one. I mean they have to make a profit on them, so how good could the circuits be?

I just didn't think the CCA was that impressive as a dac and I have one (always try things with open mind).

Have you accepted that the optical S/PDIF output from the CCA is digital? And can therefore be fed into an audiophile DAC, as per my original suggestion (because I know that the CCA audio is only average; I have three, but I don't expect miracles for £15).

To save you the trouble of doing the Google search, here's the Wiki entry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

My SOtM sMS-200Ultra is DAC-less, and works great. I use Roon, so it integrates my FLAC collection and Tidal subscription into one simple app. I control it using an old iPad.

ALL STREAMERS HAVE DACs IN THEM. PERIOD.
Not true at all. Lumin U1 Network transport and Lumin U1MINI come to mind. Aurender N100 also has no DAC. Auralic Aires G2 has no DAC. It doesn’t make sense to be locked into a DAC with a streamer

I'm in the process of re-imagining and re-configuring my music system. I'm looking at selling my current amp (a PS Audio GSS 500) and replacing it with a Peachtree Nova 300 or 150 because those amps give me so many more options and capabilities. The Nova amps have a ESS Reference 9018K2M Sabre DAC built in so I want to take advantage of that.

I want to take my large CD collection and convert the files to FLAC which I intend to store on my 4TB QNAP NAS drive. I have a lot of FLAC files stored on it already.

What I want is a good streamer box that I can use to process the FLAC files over Wifi and feed the digital input into the Peachtree DAC and let everything else happen inside the Peachtree. I also want to be able to control the streamer from my Android Tablet and phone. Don't care about Apple support as I will never own an Apple product.

I know there are quite a few very good media streamers out there like the Cambridge Audio CXN and Azur 851N but those have DACs and analog output capability. I won't need that and I don't want to pay a lot for parts of a streamer that I won't actually use if I don't have to. So what I want is just a streamer with wifi, that can handle FLAC and a few other file formats and will output a digital stream through fibre optic and/or coax, can be controlled from an Android device and doesn't have a DAC or analog outputs.

Can anyone suggest some streamers that fit into this category that are worth looking at? If streamers in this category are few and far between then I guess I'll just have to look at streamers with DACs. Then maybe the CXN or Azur 851N might be possible candidates. Onkyo has a similar device too. Or should I go for something cheaper because I won't care how good the DACs and analog side of the streamer is?
You should look at the Lumin U1 Network transport (I own two of them), Lumin U1 MINI, Aurender N100, or Auralic Aires G2. None of these have DSCs. I personally would stay away from the Pi solutions due to excessive noise and poor output quality compared to the units above, however there is a big cost difference between the Pi streamers and what I recommended. I have owned all the streamers I recommended and like the Lumin U1 best, then the N100, then the Auralic.

I personally would stay away from the Pi solutions due to excessive noise and poor output quality compared to the units above, however there is a big cost difference between the Pi streamers and what I recommended.
Hmmm. From what I find, the Lumin U1 Mini runs about $2k.

Don't know about you, but I think many will find that a cost multiple of eight times is a HUGE difference. It is budgeted more like the Sonore ultraRendu with LPS-1 power supply I use in the main system. :)

I have about $235 in the RPi/DigiOne streamer with battery power supply used in the garage system. While not as transparent as the uR, it is a phenomenally cost effective platform! Here's the math:

Raspberry PI 3B+ - $38
Zebra Top Hat case - $26
Allo DigiOne digital - $104
Ghent Audio DC cable - $30
24000 mAh Power Supply - $24
USB WiFi - $10
piCorePlayer software - Free

rpi1218.jpg

Hmmm. From what I find, the Lumin U1 Mini runs about $2k.

Don't know about you, but I think many will find that a cost multiple of eight times is a HUGE difference. It is budgeted more like the Sonore ultraRendu with LPS-1 power supply I use in the main system. :)

I have about $235 in the RPi/DigiOne streamer with battery power supply used in the garage system. While not as transparent as the uR, it is a phenomenally cost effective platform! Here's the math:

Raspberry PI 3B+ - $38
Zebra Top Hat case - $26
Allo DigiOne digital - $104
Ghent Audio DC cable - $30
24000 mAh Power Supply - $24
USB WiFi - $10
piCorePlayer software - Free

rpi1218.jpg
I found Allo's website to be really confusing and 3 messages to their customer service link yielded little help.
I thought that "transport" referred to a device, which spun CD's and outputted a digital signal?
My current digital source is a MacBook Pro laptop with about 300 CD's burned into it, which is connected to my Audio-gd stand alone DAC via USB, the DAC also has SPDIF inputs. I bought a Mac Mini a few years ago to use as a music server, but have not set it up yet.
Would the Mac Mini with a slightly slower processor than the MacBook Pro laptop be a better source?
Which, if any of Allo's products make the most sense for me?
About 10 years ago, I was trying to decide, if I should go for a CD player or a stand alone DAC & Transport, I went with a highly modded Reference Audio Mods CD player mainly because I found the separates needed a fairly expensive SPDIF cable to sound as good as a CD player, which has the DAC & Transport sections hard-wired together.
I don't know much about streamers, but realize that streaming is here to stay. Would one of Allo's products make sense for me?
What about the MQA format? Should I purchase the Meridian Explorer 2 DAC, just for the MQA format?
If, I did, how would I set up my system with 2 stand alone DACs?

I thought that "transport" referred to a device, which spun CD's and outputted a digital signal?
A CD transport is but one of many. The "device" in this case is high capacity spinning rust or SSDs.

I tWould the Mac Mini with a slightly slower processor than the MacBook Pro laptop be a better source?
Either works fine, but I would not use a laptop as a server. My Mac Mini stays up 24/7.

IWhich, if any of Allo's products make the most sense for me?
Since you already have a fine DAC, either the DigiOne for S/PDIF output or the USB Bridge for USB output. Either would allow you play your files. I use Logitech Media Server (LMS) which streams music, video and supports subscription services like Qobuz, Spotify, Tidal, etc.

For MQA, you would need an MQA compatible DAC. I wouldn't bother with a lossy codec today or with having to switch between two DACs.

Last edited:
For me, servers stay put in one place and are hard wired to routers. Laptops roam about.

Speed has nothing to do with my suggestion.

I found Allo's website to be really confusing and 3 messages to their customer service link yielded little help.
My current digital source is a MacBook Pro laptop with about 300 CD's burned into it, which is connected to my Audio-gd stand alone DAC via USB, the DAC also has SPDIF inputs. I bought a Mac Mini a few years ago to use as a music server, but have not set it up yet.
Would the Mac Mini with a slightly slower processor than the MacBook Pro laptop be a better source?
Which, if any of Allo's products make the most sense for me?
About 10 years ago, I was trying to decide, if I should go for a CD player or a stand alone DAC & Transport, I went with a highly modded Reference Audio Mods CD player mainly because I found the separates needed a fairly expensive SPDIF cable to sound as good as a CD player, which has the DAC & Transport sections hard-wired together.
I don't know much about streamers, but realize that streaming is here to stay. Would one of Allo's products make sense for me?
What about the MQA format? Should I purchase the Meridian Explorer 2 DAC, just for the MQA format?
If, I did, how would I set up my system with 2 stand alone DACs?
THIS is exactly the reason i opted against Allo...
Awful website that gives ZERO info in terms of information or differentiating between one product versus another
No response from customer service e-mail or even their boards
No clear answers...
I don't care how great the sound is - this is not a company I want to do any business with

I struggled with the same thing and decided to go with a Mac Mini to be a music server... People say it's price-prohibitive, but honestly - I got an older model for < $200 off ebay
I know it will work w all our iOS devices at home and I know I won't have to sit there and constantly worry about stability or files/apps breaking down or trying to troubleshoot those problems

Last edited:
Awful website that gives ZERO info in terms of information or differentiating between one product versus another
Perception is everything I guess, but I didn't find it very hard.

First question: S/PDIF or USB

If USB, then the USB Bridge product is what you need. You could use the USB output from an RPI alone, but it is noisy.
If S/PDIF, there are two choices: the original DigiOne that sources its power from the RPI and the DigiOne Signature that is sourced by a separate power supply and uses somewhat better components. You supply RPi, case and power supply or you can purchase them as complete players including the Pi.

I spent the princely sum of $100 for the DigiOne for my RPi and am very happy using it as an endpoint fed by LMS and sending signal to an external DAC.

rpi1218.jpg

Perception is everything I guess, but I didn't find it very hard.

First question: S/PDIF or USB

If USB, then the USB Bridge product is what you need. You could use the USB output from an RPI alone, but it is noisy.
If S/PDIF, there are two choices: the original DigiOne that sources its power from the RPI and the DigiOne Signature that is sourced by a separate power supply and uses somewhat better components. You supply RPi, case and power supply or you can purchase them as complete players including the Pi.

I spent the princely sum of $100 for the DigiOne for my RPi and am very happy using it as an endpoint fed by LMS and sending signal to an external DAC.

You are correct. It really was my top choice, and I like the RPi and have set one up for another location just to run Plex.
My DAC takes both, but I wanted to go USB (cause I've read it's cleaner, more musical, etc etc)...
But my "perception" became that this company doesn't care about customer support at all.
So it wasn't a question of "finding it very hard" with regard to setting it up, I don't mind tinkering in an XTerm with vi.
It was more, finding it very hard to deal w unresponsive questions and customer support, should there be any issues down the line.

What happens if something breaks? 2 wks to get a response? 4 wks to ship back to India and get it fixed? No thanks!

p.s. this is not a message attacking you in any way shape or form. Your setup looks sweet and I'm glad it's working out for you!
This is more free feedback to Allo and more importantly - any company thinking about making an RPi HAT solution.
Customer support is (almost) everything!

What happens if something breaks? 2 wks to get a response?
Mine didn't "break", but Allo offered replacements to fix an issue where static electricity would cause it to reboot on occasion.

Got immediate RGA and sent mine back to US distributor. Since demand was high, stateside inventory was out so it did take 3 weeks for new production to arrive.

ALL STREAMERS HAVE DACs IN THEM. PERIOD.
Not true. I guess you should define the word “streamers”.

My Lumin U1 streamer doesn’t have a DAC. Neither does the Lumin U1 mini, Auralic Aires, Aires G1, Aires G2, Aurender N10, N10, X100L...and many others

Back
Top Bottom