Truck is here !

Well, stands are here. First thing the wife says....yours are better. The factory stands are way shorter than I thought they’d be. Sitting the emit-k is maybe chest height. I have to add my sub to really give these a go. Right now I’m kinda unimpressed. My home build 2 ways sound better I think.

index.php

What sweet doggies!! Oh yeah great speakers too. We like EMITs.

Well, stands are here. First thing the wife says....yours are better. The factory stands are way shorter than I thought they’d be. Sitting the emit-k is maybe chest height. I have to add my sub to really give these a go. Right now I’m kinda unimpressed. My home build 2 ways sound better I think.
Dibs!

I don't know. A buddy of mine inherited a set in white piano gloss with the service sub. It was a pretty full range sounding set up. Fast an airy. I told him I have dibs if he were to ever sell them, which he won't. If only for sentimental reasons.

I am surprised that you are not digging them to be honest.

Yeah, I don’t know. I’m kinda flustered with the price tag I think and how little sound comes out, they image great, clear as a bell but I’m somewhat intimidated to really try and power them up in fear I might blow them trying to achieve some sort of listening satisfaction.

They definitely did the trick of not being overbearing, still I need to bring in the sub and if they stay they will be on my stands.

he issue is the 2.5 Watkins really put out and I don’t realize when the wife sleeps and I’m up watching a movie or tv I’m shaking the whole damn house......anyone else have that problem ?
Same here, the wife comes down stairs, gives me the "stink face" then turns the sound down.
So I wait five minutes, then turn it back up. She normally , don`t bother trying the second trip. LOL

I've been rather unimpressed with my Infinitesimal .2 version.
Totally rebuilt/repaired/recapped so the speakers them selves should sound "decent".

In all fairness I've only used them with one receiver (MCS 3125) on FM.
Thinking maybe I need to try them with a cd player OR a different power source.

I think we’re going to pass the torch to jazzman’s on this one. A few days ago whilst cleaning around the house without the sub I got a solid impression of what I think. I’m going to reserve that for a minute.

I’m kinda torn, I should just shrink wrap the whole package and stash it. But Jazz wants them and I know he’s a steward for Infinity and the love of music, so maybe they will do better with him.

And thermo, the wife requested I immediately return the 2.5’s to duty, after seeing a star is born she’s convinced and I fulfilled it with quickness. Fricking love those speakers !

These are now mine, ALL MINE! Mwahahahaaa!

First impressions,

1. the stands are waay too low, luckily the stands put them exactly at ear level when lying in bed, and that's what I'm going to be using them for so it.s ok, but for any other purpose, they're too low by almost two feet.

2. MUST have a subwoofer, My Definitive supercube III works excellent well mated to them. It works well enough that I wonder if the Modulus sub is an improvement or not. I was thinking I'd need to pull my JL audio Fathom out of the main room to match with them, but the little definitive sounds fab so I'm not even going to think about it any more.

3. the sense of size, or scale is small. they sound like small speakers, even with a sub. It's hard to define scale, or size, but these sound small and have a touch of boxiness to them. They are no match for my Ren 90's, or my Magnepan 2.5r.

These are really inefficient speakers, probably the least efficient I own. Once you turn the volume up though, they sound great. instrumental seperation is fabulous.

I like 'em, and they are worlds better sounding then my Infintesimal Vs, there's really no comparison.
Eventually I'll fill the stands with steel balls, but I'm not that worried about it for the moment. The stands are very nice, and the spikes work well, both for the speakers and the stands.

I'm powering them with my Carver TFM-25, with the Apt Holmann pre.

Ooh, listening to Gypsy kings; Canestro now, and boy! this sounds good! they don't sound small right now at all.

I think part of the problem is 7.62 was comparing them to the mighty, mighty Infinity 2.5 and 4.5, the, or nearly the top of the heap for infinity, especially where bass is concerned, and nothing compares.

as am I with the ren 90, rs 2b, and maggie 2.5r with subwoofers.
the low efficiency really plays tricks with perceived quality, as any speaker salesman can tell you. Louder almost always sounds better, it's simply the way our brain processes music.

Listening to ziggy, tomorrow people, and it sounds fabulous, but I can walk into my main room and my M&K s 100s sound better, because they are higher up,(they are actually 6' high, with the 45 degree baffle aimed up, so mostly I get a nice reflected sound) and are more efficient. I really don't understand the stock stands height at all. on the stock stands, the emit is 2' 10" high.

Lou Bega, 112 sounds excellent. I know were I to switch on the rens they'll sound better though. there is a definite 'boxiness' to the sound.

John Mellencamp now, moments in time off of big daddy, my favorite album of his.

instrumental seperation is fabulous, I clearly hear each instrument in its own space.

Cortez the killer now, off of Weld. LOUD. Neils guitar sounds like it should, but still a little shrunken down from my big speakers.

Last edited:
I've never heard the Modulus (with or without the sub), but owned a pair of Infinitesimal 0.2 for a while. I've read on here that the Infinitesimal 0.1 and 0.2 is quite a bit better than the Modulus when both sets are run on their own, without a sub. The Modulus supposedly takes the edge when run with it's factory sub. The Inifinitesimals are rated down to 65hz at -2db, (so probably closer to 55 at -3db), vs the Modulus' 80hz at -2db.

I was certainly impressed with the Infinitesimals, especially considering their size. They sounded like much bigger speakers and of course had the clarity and airiness of the EMIT baked in. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're amazing speakers in general. They're bested by bigger speakers fairly easily. Hard to get around the laws of physics. I assume this is the case with the Modulus as well. But for people who need small speakers, both are cool and capable options. As long as you plan to run a sub with the Modulus. You could get away without it with the Infinitiesimals.

I think part of the problem is 7.62 was comparing them to the mighty, mighty Infinity 2.5 and 4.5, the, or nearly the top of the heap for infinity, especially where bass is concerned, and nothing compares.

as am I with the ren 90, rs 2b, and maggie 2.5r with subwoofers.
the low efficiency really plays tricks with perceived quality, as any speaker salesman can tell you. Louder almost always sounds better, it's simply the way our brain processes music.

Listening to ziggy, tomorrow people, and it sounds fabulous, but I can walk into my main room and my M&K s 100s sound better, because they are higher up,(they are actually 6' high, with the 45 degree baffle aimed up, so mostly I get a nice reflected sound) and are more efficient. I really don't understand the stock stands height at all. on the stock stands, the emit is 2' 10" high.

Lou Bega, 112 sounds excellent. I know were I to switch on the rens they'll sound better though. there is a definite 'boxiness' to the sound.

John Mellencamp now, moments in time off of big daddy, my favorite album of his.

instrumental seperation is fabulous, I clearly hear each instrument in its own space.

Cortez the killer now, off of Weld. LOUD. Neils guitar sounds like it should, but still a little shrunken down from my big speakers.
Ooh M & K 100s we have similar tastes jazzy. When I was younger and heard the 100s I was completely blown away from the sound. I wanted them so bad for music and movies but the price tag was out of my range. I settled on infinity reference 2000.6 which I still have but the 100s are always in the back of my mind. Almost bought a nice used pair off the bay years ago but the 9s came up. Still dream of them though. I have my mk mx125 dual woof sub that would go good with a set. I’m rambling.

Ooh M & K 100s we have similar tastes jazzy. When I was younger and heard the 100s I was completely blown away from the sound. I wanted them so bad for music and movies but the price tag was out of my range. I settled on infinity reference 2000.6 which I still have but the 100s are always in the back of my mind. Almost bought a nice used pair off the bay years ago but the 9s came up. Still dream of them though. I have my mk mx125 dual woof sub that would go good with a set. I’m rambling.
I have to say, the three variations of M&K satellite speakers I have continue to amaze and astonish me, 100, 125, and (I think) 150. They do so much from such small enclosures, it baffles me why the audiophile community isn't more fond of them. And, they are damn efficient.

They are the only speakers I have that can compete with the big Infinity speakers I have. I'd love a pair of the 'new' S 100, but I don't have 4k to spend on them, all of mine I've found used.

Then there's their subs, of which I currently own three, the push pull 12", a sealed 12" and a sealed 10". fantastic subwoofers, if not the absolute last word in low frequency extension. There's a reason that M&K were the speakers used for the THX designation.

anyway, that's a bit of a side-track.

Listened to the Modulus all night last night, (I play Robert Rich's albums Somnium and Somnium Perpetual just at perceptual level to sleep) They are damn fine speakers, all the nuances are there, that the Infinitesimals lacked, and my Ren's have. I'm pretty sure it's the low efficiency that makes them sound so 'dull' in A/B comparison to the rens. I'll have to db match the two speakers, (including the sub on the modulus) and see if the rens really do sound better, or if it's just the db difference 'fooling' me.

I have a pair of Modulus satellites with the original crossover and servo subwoofer. I didn't get the stands or the grills, but I put them on some 32" stands I had which puts the tweeters at 40". I quite like the combination. They don't fill up the room like my RS1b speakers do, but for accurate tonal balance and sheer listenability, I think they are fine. I often switch to them for non critical listening, as they are accurate, and non fatiguing.

Back
Top Bottom