Today's JAZZ playlist

Phil Woods / Gene Quill / Jackie McLean / John Jenkins / Hal McKusick – Bird Feathers Prestige PRLP-8204 Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono US 1957

00:04 A1 Solar 05:54 A2 Bird Feathers 16:15 A3 Interim 22:04 B1 Airegin 28:27 B2 Don't Worry 'Bout Me 30:32 B3 Con Alma

Alto Saxophone – Gene Quill (tracks: A1, B1), Hal McKusick (tracks: A3, B2, B3), Jackie McLean (tracks: A2), John Jenkins(tracks: A2), Phil Woods (tracks: A1, B1) Bass – Doug Watkins (tracks: A2), Paul Chambers (3) (tracks: A3, B2, B3), Teddy Kotick (tracks: A1, B1) Drums – Arthur Taylor (tracks: A2), Charlie Persip (tracks: A3, B2, B3), Nick Stabulas (tracks: A1, B1) Piano – Eddie Costa (tracks: A3, B2, B3), George Syran (tracks: A1, B1), Wade Legge (tracks: A2) Trombone – Billy Byers (tracks: A3, B2, B3)

Recorded in Hackensack, NJ, March 29, 1957 ("Solar", "Airegin"); May 3, 1957 ("Bird Feathers"). All other selections recorded on December 27, 1957.

Had a new toy come in today. I have finally replaced my Yamaha player that started having skipping issues a while back. I had it fixed for a while but it started skipping again but far worse. So after 5 years of heavy use the Yamaha has been retired for a Marantz HDCD1. I have had it running for an hour or so and I'm pretty impressed. I also like the fact my Cmabridge Audio remote for my integrated amp will control the CD player as well. Now I only have to use one remote for both. :D I will update more about how it sounds in a few days when I have more time with it.
BqtghPZ.jpg

MYeG14s.jpg
Nice and a great colour too!

1. Una Mas 2. It Could Happen to You 3. Let's Face Music & Dance 4. No Two People 5. Lover Man 6. San Francisco Beat

Kenny Dorham & Jackie McLean - Inta Somethin' (1962) Lossless - 320 kbps personnel :

Kenny Dorham - trumpet Jackie McLean - alto sax Walter Bishop - piano Leroy Vinnegar - bass Art Taylor - drums

I honestly don't know, since I've haven't done a count in some time. A proper count of the LP's while I have them all pulled out and mostly together would be a good idea. It's over 100 for the LP's since I've had some very good luck hunting the past few years, especially on the trip home from Lincoln/Omaha, NE following the total eclipse.

As for the CD's, there are a lot of them too, but until I gather a modicum of self discipline (Ha! Like that's going to happen) and get stuff sorted and properly filed that count will have to wait.

ECM titles are among the few things I still actively seek out and collect, something I've done ever since I began buying them in the 1970's. Being a big Ralph Towner/Oregon fan certainly provided enough impetus to get me going down this particular rabbit hole that just gets deeper with every year.

I understand the rabbit hole. I was comparing notes with a record store owner/ employee, I was telling him about my Ellington obsession, he nodded and told me that he’d gotten on a kick for the country artist, Lefty Frizzel. He said he realized he had to stop when he “woke up” and found out he had 175+ Lefty Frizzel records.
We’re out here in every day jobs, working alongside others who have no idea about our “so called hobby “.

:(

My stereo repair shop is 12 weeks behind on repairs. I won't have my Dual turntable nor my TEAC reel back until July. And to compound matters, they are closing after being in business since 1977. Two guys that I trust (most do, that's why they are SOOOO busy) riding off into the sunset.

Had a new toy come in today. I have finally replaced my Yamaha player that started having skipping issues a while back. I had it fixed for a while but it started skipping again but far worse. So after 5 years of heavy use the Yamaha has been retired for a Marantz HDCD1. I have had it running for an hour or so and I'm pretty impressed. I also like the fact my Cmabridge Audio remote for my integrated amp will control the CD player as well. Now I only have to use one remote for both. :D I will update more about how it sounds in a few days when I have more time with it.
BqtghPZ.jpg

MYeG14s.jpg

Nice acquisition, Glenn! :thumbsup:

Lloyd Miller - Oriental Jazz

View attachment 1454684

Hey Monty, good to see you. Did you catch my earlier post? My trusted repair shop is closing after over 40 years in business. They are running 12 weeks behind on repairs. I have a Dual Turntable (Idler) and a TEAC reel machine there. Neither will be done until July.

But I trust these guys. They are behind because they know what they are doing, and have hundreds of vintage rigs to repair stacked up on their shelves.

:(

My stereo repair shop is 12 weeks behind on repairs. I won't have my Dual turntable nor my TEAC reel back until July. And to compound matters, they are closing after being in business since 1977. Two guys that I trust (most do, that's why they are SOOOO busy) riding off into the sunset.

That's jacked up. Unfortunately there are no "new guys" coming on the scene. It would have been an idea to "apprentice" some HS teens to learn about equipment and repair. I guess those days a gone. Oh shit, now I sound like a geezer.

Hey Monty, good to see you. Did you catch my earlier post? My trusted repair shop is closing after over 40 years in business. They are running 12 weeks behind on repairs. I have a Dual Turntable (Idler) and a TEAC reel machine there. Neither will be done until July.

But I trust these guys. They are behind because they know what they are doing, and have hundreds of vintage rigs to repair stacked up on their shelves.

You also might want to be around when they close out their shop....might be some hidden gems that they'd "forgotten" about in the back room. Stuff that was unclaimed or just lost to time.

Joe Sample - (1979) - Carmel
Joe Sample - (1993) - Invitation
Herbie Mann - (1968) - The Inspiration I Feel
Herbie Mann and Joao Gilberto - (1965) - Recorded in Rio de Janeiro
Herbie Mann / Sam Most Quintet - (1956) - The Mann With The Most
Antonio Carlos Jobim - (2000) - Antonio Carlos Jobim's Finest Hour

B&o 8002 w/ MMC1, Empire 698, Technics SL150 MK2, w/ Jelco 750e, Empire 698 w/ Audio Technica 440 MLB, Definitive Technology Bp7000sc Definitive Technology C/L/R 3000, SVS SB16 Ultra x2, SVS Prime Elevation, Integra DTR 8.4, Carver 4.0t

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
  • herbie mann - the inspiration I feel.jpg
    herbie mann - the inspiration I feel.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
  • herbiemannjoogilbert_herbiemannjoogilbert_ai1h.jpg
    herbiemannjoogilbert_herbiemannjoogilbert_ai1h.jpg