Acoustat

Axcel

Accuphase all the way
Don’t know the model but I have a shot of picking up a pair. They are 71in tall 4 ft wide I know the elderly lady and her late husband his stuff was well taken care of what is a fair price for these I do not want to short change her

6 feet high and 4 feet wide? The biggest Acoustat I ever heard of was the Monitor 4 at 5 feet high and 3 feet wide. Most Acoustats were tall and relatively narrow. But I am no expert on the subject.

Model 8 was a whisker shy of 8 feet tall. Model 6 was fairly close to that.

Those Acoustats are tough loads to drive and proper amplification to get the best sound out of them is far costlier than the speakers themselves.

There are a couple of AK members that love Accoustat .

If they have vacuum tube transformers, you've discovered gold.

They're not that hard to drive. A high current / high wattage amp is necessary to get dynamics out of them.

Don’t know the model but I have a shot of picking up a pair. They are 71in tall 4 ft wide I know the elderly lady and her late husband his stuff was well taken care of what is a fair price for these I do not want to short change her

Given they're huge (so cannot be realistically shipped) that limits the market and reduces value. They're also old and, even if well taken care of, may require very costly updates (rebuilding power supplies, etc).

There's a pair of Model 3s in good condition with some upgrades for $750 obo local pickup 200 miles from me on eBay. I'd say that's a fair price, $1000 if you're feeling generous.

As others have said, they (and basically all electrostats) are very difficult loads, sometimes dropping to 1 ohm or less. Make sure your amp is up to task.

Those measurements don't exactly jive. The width suggests a four panel across model. The stacked models, however, were 94" tall and the single panel models were shorter than six feet. Post a pic and we'll be able to tell you exactly what you have in order to determine pricing. I've owned various models since 1977. The closest thing I can think of is the Monitor 4 which I ran from 1978-1982 before moving to 2+2s.

acoustat_monitor.jpg

Met designer James Strickland when he brought a pair of the original model X to JWC of The Absolute Sound for a review the year before. Currently run 1+1s in the HT system.

There are a number of active resources available. Andy Szabo is a former employee who answers questions in a thread over at DIY Audio. Another resource is Roy Esposito (another former employee) who performs service and modification work. I had him rebuild the interfaces with mine.

The panels are virtually indestructible, but often require re-tensioning. The interfaces likely need to be re-worked for optimum results.

Last edited:
Given they're huge (so cannot be realistically shipped) that limits the market and reduces value.
Far larger exists and Sound Lab ships them all the time. Here's the crate for the updated panels to my U-1PX. Mind you the steel frames and backplates required more crates:

u1_crate.jpg

I said "transformer"...I meant interface.

My model Xs had the vacuum tube interface replaced with a solid state interface.

I'm guessing the pair in question have stands underneath them.

It's difficult to assign a money value without more information.

I gave my frankenstein model X away. They're large and esoteric.

Last edited:
I have used several different amps (from an 80w integrated to an Acoustat TNT-200) to power my Model 3s with no apparent issues. That said, if you want the best speaker performance, a quality amp definitely helps.

As previously noted, these electrostatics are large and not exactly resale-friendly, but it you like them and the price is right, take them. Acoustat made some seriously high-end equipment.

I also recommend an appropriate listening space. Larger is generally better.

Let us know if you get them. I want to see some photos!

I said "transformer"...I meant interface.
That's really what they were - two frequency specific transformers that blended using "mixing" circuitry. Using two trannies radically smoothed the impedance curve. Have you seen the "Scream Machine Roller Coaster" curve of Roger Sander's designs?

Which is how Sound Lab does it today. Only doing it far better using toroidal transformers and high quality Vishay resistors and Sledgehammer inductors. Some folks specify using Nordost Valhalla internal wiring. :)

Indeed all dipolar line sources benefit from plenty of distance from front wall. Ideally about a third of the room length. And their reactive load presents a challenge that not all amplifiers are comfortable with. I've always carefully selected amplification with that in mind. I began using a Nelson Pass designed Threshold Stasis 3. He incorporated what was necessary using Dayton-Wright electrostats to demo his products in the 80s. Those are the stats that seduced me as a teenager.

Last edited:
I used a Parasound HCA-1200 on mine with good results.

hca-1200.jpg

IMHO, the sweet spot from the model X was 'sweeter' with more clarity and coherence than Martin Logan Sequels. But the ML curvilinear design went a long way toward make the overall sound stage more enjoyable. In my room, the model X sweet spot was very small, about 3 feet in diameter.

I wonder if they might be part of the Acoutstat Spectra line; they used a dynamic bass driver, which set the panels up higher. They could be Spectra 22s, or they could be Model 3 or 4 with a poor estimate of height.

When I sold mine about 3 years ago, I asked $800, and got (I think) $750. I loved mine, but the room I had didn't let them perform like they could (at one point, I had Spectra 22s on the front channel, with Spectra 11s on the rear, in a 14' x 12' room).

I wonder if they might be part of the Acoutstat Spectra line; they used a dynamic bass driver, which set the panels up higher.
I hear what you're saying, but if they are truly four feet wide, that rules out the two-wide hybrids.

Last edited:
Far larger exists and Sound Lab ships them all the time. Here's the crate for the updated panels to my U-1PX. Mind you the steel frames and backplates required more crates:

u1_crate.jpg

Oh, I know they ship, I just meant that for most (especially if you don't have the crates) it's not feasible / cost effective for anything but the top end models.

Oh, I know they ship, I just meant that for most (especially if you don't have the crates) it's not feasible / cost effective for anything but the top end models.
I'm likely an outlier but I always keep the original cartons/crates/pallets for all my audio gear. The current Sound Lab crates are a bit of a challenge since they don't fit up the stairs above my garage. I'm hoping to sell the old cores with them.

Last year, I sold a 1981 Threshold Stasis with everything that was included from day one. :)

boxes.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if they might be part of the Acoutstat Spectra line; they used a dynamic bass driver, which set the panels up higher. They could be Spectra 22s, or they could be Model 3 or 4 with a poor estimate of height.

When I sold mine about 3 years ago, I asked $800, and got (I think) $750. I loved mine, but the room I had didn't let them perform like they could (at one point, I had Spectra 22s on the front channel, with Spectra 11s on the rear, in a 14' x 12' room).

Maybe the 4 feet wide is for a pair placed side by side?

The model 3s formerly owned by Steve Jobs look just like my old model Xs. They're wider than 28".

steve jobs speakers.jpg

These are around the size described by the OP.

Back
Top Bottom