What's British in your system?

Just made a switch from B&W to ATC and picked up a pair of SCM11 v2 speakers to pair with my Musical Fidelity A5 Int Amp

These are powerfully resolving speakers - in a good way. I'll agree with other comments I've read; not bright but straight forward 'honest' - everything is revealed. Every texture of every note and harmonic can be heard. I kept saying to myself "wow - never heard that before".

I spent the first portion of listening with no subwoofer and was impressed as other reviews noted that the bass down to 50Hz is taut, controlled, and clear - but there isn't much extension. below that.

With the sub on the soundstage became more expansive, anchored and balanced; the overall presentation of the music was much better. More "wow".

You know how in some complex and layered music you can hear certain lines of instruments when there is a bit of space, but that sometimes they can get mixed (and lost) when all the other layers come together? The SCM11v2 makes it easy to follow any layer any time, all the time; or if you want let the layers mix together - you, the listener can decide.

If the track mix is dull, or bright, or narrow - that's exactly what you're gonna hear. If it's spacious, well mixed, balanced - the sonic result is startling.

Cambridge Audio C100 preamp. It fell into my lap when I needed a preamp and I have been pleasantly surprised with the phono & headphone sections. The only grey component I have ever owned. I only wish I could find a owners manual. I even contacted CA and they could not help with the older equipment.

NAD 114
NAD C 370
Wharfedale Denton 80

The NADs are now out-of-rotation, and I'm driving Gallos with a Creek Evolution 50A. This little British amp does an amazing job with sensitive, low impedance monitors like the CL-2.

I put at least 400 hours on the Wharfedales, and they aren't a good fit for me for multiple reasons. I gave them plenty of time to prove their mettle, and they will be gone soon.

Last edited:
NAD 2600 currently not in use
NAD 1300 currently not in use
NAD 4300
Mission 780 Mk2 Argonauts
Mission QX-2's soon to be purchased

Harbeth C7ES3 speakers and Rega Dac R in main system. KEF LS50 (fronts) and B&W M1s (rears) in HT. Lusting after KEF Reference 1s or Harbeth SHL5 Pluses, even though I have never heard either of them.

Been stalking AK for a year. 'Brit stuff' seems a good place to post. Hi! :)

Current:

B&W DM-7 spkrs. (OG, not MkII variant)
KEF 103.2 spkrs. (banana plug variant)
2 Rotel CD decks (1070; 1072)

Fondly remembered:

Rogers JR-149 spkrs.
Quad 33/405 pre/main (@1979 models; 'Mod Squad' re-worked)
Rega Planar 3 (@1983, I think?)

Forgotten:

[Misc. Rotel gear]

Been stalking AK for a year. 'Brit stuff' seems a good place to post. Hi! :)

Current:

B&W DM-7 spkrs. (OG, not MkII variant)
KEF 103.2 spkrs. (banana plug variant)
2 Rotel CD decks (1070; 1072)

Fondly remembered:

Rogers JR-149 spkrs.
Quad 33/405 pre/main (@1979 models; 'Mod Squad' re-worked)
Rega Planar 3 (@1983, I think?)

Forgotten:

[Misc. Rotel gear]

Welcome!

I have 3 systems:

1: Audiolab 8200DQ, Meridian 557, Kef Reference 3.2, Chromecast Audio

2: Marantz PM5005, Wharfedale Diamond 220, HifiMeDIY USB DAC

3: Arcam A70, Monitor Audio Silver 100, Chromecast Audio

Other than the CCAs, the only item that isn't british is my Marantz amp :)

Just made a switch from B&W to ATC and picked up a pair of SCM11 v2 speakers to pair with my Musical Fidelity A5 Int Amp

These are powerfully resolving speakers - in a good way. I'll agree with other comments I've read; not bright but straight forward 'honest' - everything is revealed. Every texture of every note and harmonic can be heard. I kept saying to myself "wow - never heard that before".

I spent the first portion of listening with no subwoofer and was impressed as other reviews noted that the bass down to 50Hz is taut, controlled, and clear - but there isn't much extension. below that.

With the sub on the soundstage became more expansive, anchored and balanced; the overall presentation of the music was much better. More "wow".

You know how in some complex and layered music you can hear certain lines of instruments when there is a bit of space, but that sometimes they can get mixed (and lost) when all the other layers come together? The SCM11v2 makes it easy to follow any layer any time, all the time; or if you want let the layers mix together - you, the listener can decide.

If the track mix is dull, or bright, or narrow - that's exactly what you're gonna hear. If it's spacious, well mixed, balanced - the sonic result is startling.

100 % agreement with your description of the sound quality of the ATC SCM 11 v2!

Back
Top Bottom