Kyocera A-710 help/strange

golighter68

Kyocera A-710 help. This is very strange, so thought someone here might have an idea. I was trying to get more power for my ADS-910’s, so ran a B & K st3030(200/ch.)from the pre-out. Not much difference in output level(slightly disappointing), but the weird thing is when I powered the Kyocera down. The music stayed on, volume control worked, as well as a few other misc. buttons. I thought with the power off nothing would come through the Kyocera, but apparently not. Does anyone have any ideas, comments, etc.? Speakers are 4ohm and the integrated was clipping at higher volumes, thus my wanting more power. Kyocera is rated at 100/ch into 8 ohms. The B & K is 200/ch into 8 ohms. I really thought the volume difference would have been much “louder”, but it was not. Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help here!

Those are moderately efficient at 93db
I'm surprised they don't get loud enough for you.
Going from 93db to 96 is like going from 100w to 200w.
Going to 99 would be like 400w.
Still,
I have be using 92db speakers with a lot less than 100w and can play way louder than I'd ever listen

Thanks. I’ll admit, they do get plenty loud enough(90% of the time). Maybe I need to tone down my wall shaking, fiancé can hear it at the walkway, thumping bass listening then. Maybe...
Thanks for your time, though.

Kyocera A-710 help. This is very strange, so thought someone here might have an idea. I was trying to get more power for my ADS-910’s, so ran a B & K st3030(200/ch.)from the pre-out. Not much difference in output level(slightly disappointing), but the weird thing is when I powered the Kyocera down. The music stayed on, volume control worked, as well as a few other misc. buttons. I thought with the power off nothing would come through the Kyocera, but apparently not. Does anyone have any ideas, comments, etc.? Speakers are 4ohm and the integrated was clipping at higher volumes, thus my wanting more power. Kyocera is rated at 100/ch into 8 ohms. The B & K is 200/ch into 8 ohms. I really thought the volume difference would have been much “louder”, but it was not. Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help here!
Pull the schematic and specs up for the Kyocera and see if it's pre output is enough for the B&K.

May be 1 volt out, and IIRC the B&K needs 1.5v in to reach max output. Soooo....

Thanks. Never thought of that. I checked both and the Kyocera is stating Pre out as 200mV, which converts to .2 volts. The B & K states an input sensitivity of 1.4 volts. Damn, these seem to be way off. So, the obvious would appear that the Kyocera is just not putting “out” what the B & K is requiring, thus the low output level?
Thanks for pointing that out. Different amp? I’m really liking the Kyocera’s clean lines and uncluttered appearance.

You really need the schematics to understand what the Kyocera has as input stage. Since you get signal out with working volume pot and no power on it sounds like it has no buffers at the input which is odd. Or the power button is only switching part of the power stage off but never the whole thing. A trial would be to unplug it and see if that is still the case.
The 0.2V for the pre out sounds awfully low. This seems more suitable for an equalizer loop out or going to fully active speaker but still low. Line level would be expected here and that is at least 1V. Some amps need 1.4 or even 2.0 V for full load output. In worst case try to get a little line level booster amp which are used in AV applications. That should give you more room to play

We learned way back when that if you want a noticeable increase in out put level the new speakers need to be 5 to 6 db more efficient with the same power. Or the speakers need to be able to handle a 6 db increase in power. That never seem ed to happen. Thats why when you up grade a system changing speakers is the preferred choice for increased out put level. What happens if you all ready. own Cornwalls or Korner horns. Big bucks for Professional JBL and big bucks for a lot more Power. Notice I didn't say DD series JBL. I said professional JBL. I guess Meyer Sound, Professional EV might, work, too. IF you are going from older AR, KLH, DCM. etc there are a lot of choices out there.

Thanks to all for taking the time to chime in here. I’m good with what I have in this particular room, just wanted the occasional boost when in the mood. I’ll look into the Kyocera for more input and output voltages. It does seem extremely low to only be .2V in the preout, but that’s what was listed on the spec sheet. Anyhow, happy listening!

Back
Top Bottom