Onkyo A-9110 analog integrated amp

Jenkster

Bonzo!
Subscriber
I was looking for a simple, no frills integrated amplifier for a den system. I don't need a lot of power, wanted a sub out and, of course, remote control. I read some good reviews of the Onkyo A-9010 which has digital inputs, phono stage and a line out but it was being phased out. Then I stumbled upon an ad for its replacement, the new Onkyo A-9110. Advertised as strictly analog, which I prefer, with dedicated sub out and phono with remote. I decided to order one with a 30 day money back guarantee.

I have been using if for about a week now hooked up to Boston Acoustics VRM60 speakers and matching PV1000 sub. I have to say, I am very impressed with the overall quality of sound. The phono stage isn't the greatest but respectable. It produces lots of detail and good punch, especially when using Onkyo's Phase Matching Bass function which is basically a modern Loudness function. It also has a Direct feature for the purists out there. The Direct function not only bypasses the tone controls but the sub out as well. That is the default setting that can be changed by using the Setup feature. You can also change the speaker impedance setting from 8 ohm, default, to 4 ohm.

It's advertised at 50 watts per channel, fine print is 4 ohms, 30 watts at 8 ohms. I think that is a bit misleading but, if you do your research...........It is a class A/B amp which Onkyo refers to as WRAT (Wide Range Amplification Technology). I do prefer A/B amps to the D's that I have listened to. I will say my experience with D amps is limited.

If you're looking for a no frills, very good sounding integrated that won't break the bank, I would recommend giving the A-9110 a try.

Last edited:
I said this on another thread, but I've been looking at these lately. The prices are really reasonable on them.

I don't mind the 30 watts as long as it's 30 "good" watts. One of the most fun sounding receivers I've owned was a Realistic STA-21 and I believe that was a whopping 7 watts per channel.

Back
Top Bottom