Today's JAZZ playlist

And THEN brag!:rflmao:

I've got too much stuff, too. I'm going to be moving some along this spring/summer.

I've got more receivers and integrateds than I need. A few that need repairs. I have a Carver that I actually have the parts for that I'll get up to snuff whether I sell it or not. And an H/K that absolutely makes my PSB Stratus Silvers sing, but it's one of the ones with the flaky mini switches. They drive me bonkers.
I'm digging the look of the Marantz in the LR setup, and like how it sounds, but there are times I could use a little more oomph.

That wouldn't be an option for me where I am the FM band is crowded and to find an open frequency is hard. Using a transmitter I had problems receiving a local radio station (WBGO Newark)
because there was a pirate radio station broadcasting Haitian Creole on an adjacent frequency. The problem became worse when they moved their transmitter to NYC I am only able to listen online.

For my listening room with the 2230b, I rarely get above 9 o’clock on volume. 2270 would be pretty good as I’ve got some unused speakers that need a higher watt diet for proper quality listening.
Found a very nice 2245 and Thorens 165 basket case for $45, garage sale. Moved the receiver along before I got attached. They do have a draw to the look. Too much stuff, and they are easy to sell.

Last edited:
Perhaps. I bought those Polks for my Yamaha CA-801 system, but.... I did give him my Realistic Optimus 10 drivers and drones (passive radiators - we called them drones back in the day) to the same shop to re-foam. I need to put these back in the cabinets when I get to Florida.

Those Op 10s were the main speakers for my Yamaha CA-810 system in college. I put in super tweeters so they are actually amazing vintage speakers now. Op 10s were IMO the finest speakers Realistic ever produced when it came to optical purity, however, they sorely lacked in high frequency. They topped out at 18 khz with stock tweeters, so upgrading the tweeters was mandatory for me.

That repair shop does a phenomenal job of re-foaming since that's one of the owner's specialty. Easy to get really good when you re-foam 500 sets of speakers a year I suppose. :) He charges a standard flat fee of 40 bucks per driver regardless of size. So I could put the recently re-foamed Op 10s back on the Yamaha and put the new Polks on the Marantz.
Yeah I was just spitballing. But you could always switch things in and out as the mood strikes you. The Marantz in your reference system could be another interesting combination with the Klipsch RF7's.

Be sure to check out Dino Saluzzi when you do. He's an Argentinian bandeon player (think Astor Piazolla) who has done some amazing recordings for ECM. One of today's finds was an album he did with Enrico Rava that I'm saving the first spin for later today or Saturday sometime.
Will check him out as well as any others you can offer. I will start things off with one of the few ECM recordings I have.
xtgtOm3.jpg

Was listening to CJRT Toronto. Lots of issues with CJRT and personnel shake-ups but luckily the station is surviving and my two favorite DJs are still there with their shows intact.

Now WUCF Orlando. CJRT's afternoon Host was doing an interview with some Toronto Jazz guy, so I bailed out.

WDCB Chicago and KSDS San Diego both in fund-raiser mode, so passing on them today. No complaints. WUCF is a stellar Jazz station.

Yeah I was just spitballing. But you could always switch things in and out as the mood strikes you. The Marantz in your reference system could be another interesting combination with the Klipsch RF7's.

OK, breaking news, Glenn.

I called and the Marantz was still available. So I told the guy to hold it for me for a few weeks and I'd stop by and pick it up and he said he would. Offered a deposit over the phone but he said he knows and trusts me so he'll move it to the back room and put my name on it. I'm happy on one hand, and pissed at my self on another for buying yet ANOTHER rig that I don't need.... but that I want. Like you said, too good to pass up, especially recently fully serviced and up to specs. That's a steal. I wish it had a wooden case, but I can always add one later.

I think I will put those Polks on it, and put the newly re-foamed Op 10s back on the Yamaha CA-810 system because that's the way it was when I was in college. This way I can say that the Yamaha system truly IS my ORIGINAL college system. If I add the Polks, it would not be. I'll play with the Klipsch and see what I like better, the Polks or the Klipsch. Both are stellar speakers, so it will probably be a draw.

BTW, thanks a bunch for pushing me to buy those upgraded Polks over what I was going to buy. I have been doing a lot of research and you really did me a major solid favor. And for only $100 more EACH over what I was going to spend, it would have been a travesty not to upgrade to them. And it would have been a double travesty not to buy that Marantz. But it's a done deal now. It's mine.

That's great news Billy. That was an absolute steal. Then you throw in the fact it's fully serviced from the guys you trust and it's just a win win situation. The Marantz should work well with the Polk's and one of your SMSL Sanskrit DAC's.

That's great news Billy. That was an absolute steal. Then you throw in the fact it's fully serviced from the guys you trust and it's just a win win situation. The Marantz should work well with the Polk's and one of your SMSL Sanskrit DAC's.

Thanks, Glenn. Yes, that's how it's going to be set up. Again, I'll try the Klipsch for poops and giggles, but I think it will probably be a coin toss. This is a milestone for me. I've wanted a Marantz since I was 17 and fell in love with the Gyro tuning and that blue dial. And that ad in "Audio Magazine", the one with the fire damaged unit that still worked. Do you remember that one?

1974_Marantz_fire_ad.jpg

Found a very nice 2245 and Thorens 165 basket case for $45, garage sale. Moved the receiver along before I got attached. They do have a draw to the look. Too much stuff, and they are easy to sell.

A Thorens, even a basket case for $45(!) is a steal. Is that the Thorens in your signature block?

Thanks, Glenn. Yes, that's how it's going to be set up. Again, I'll try the Klipsch for poops and giggles, but I think it will probably be a coin toss. This is a milestone for me. I've wanted a Marantz since I was 17 and fell in love with the Gyro tuning and that blue dial. And that ad in "Audio Magazine", the one with the fire damaged unit that still worked. Do you remember that one?

1974_Marantz_fire_ad.jpg

I was of the opinion that Marantz's were "over rated" "over priced" and just not the real deal. Then a local repair guy loaned me a 1030 amp that when paired with my DCMs made all the difference in the world. I was A/B -ing with a couple of Pioneer and Kenwood receivers I own and have now bought into Marantz. I still like my other rigs, but the 2230b is here to stay. The only change up I'd go for is to tube it up or if I found some other audiophile quality receiver/amp that was just too good a deal to pass up.

1974_Marantz_fire_ad.jpg
That's a great ad. I remember that one. I still may pick up a 2230. I remember that receiver fondly growing up along with a Sansui 5000x.

I was of the opinion that Marantz's were "over rated" "over priced" and just not the real deal. Then a local repair guy loaned me a 1030 amp that when paired with my DCMs made all the difference in the world. I was A/B -ing with a couple of Pioneer and Kenwood receivers I own and have now bought into Marantz. I still like my other rigs, but the 2230b is here to stay. The only change up I'd go for is to tube it up or if I found some other audiophile quality receiver/amp that was just too good a deal to pass up.

Nice story, King. Thanks for posting that. And I understand completely. I always wanted a Marantz, but just never pulled the trigger nor went out of my way to try and find one worthy of a trigger-pull. I never thought that a Marantz was any better than my beloved Yamaha CA-810 Natural Sound INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER, and I still don't think so. But it will probably be the best engineered RECEIVER that I have owned to date..... although my late 60s Pioneer SX-1000tw Receiver is pretty darn close to that claim. IMO of course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom