Which backup turntable should I keep?

panjin79

Hello! Noob to posting on these forums, but I've been lurking for a long time. Taking the plunge and hoping to get some opinions from the experts!

I have two turntable setups right now: a stock AT-LP120-USB using a Shure M44-7 cart and a Fisher MT-6330 using an Osawa OS-101. I've already decided that I'm going to updating my main setup to a Rega P6. I only have space for two tables, so my question is should I let go of the AT or the Fisher?

In this room, I run everything through the phono stage of my Pioneer SX-680 receiver connected to Polk T15 speakers. It's a pretty small office. Would removing the phono stage and upgrading the AT's mat improve the sound quality to be significantly better than the Fisher / Osawa combo? I feel like the two are on par right now, so I'd rather not do any surgery on the AT that affects its resell value if it would be a waste of time.

Anyone have experience that can comment? Thanks!

Glad to hear you are updating. Picking out the best cartridge for your budget should be first. Then choose the arm./TT combination that allows the cartridge to perform its best. I have owned over 50 cartridges over the years and I would choose one of todays medium compliant models with a Fine Line or Microridge stylus. I liked Grace F9E, Dynavector 20 X and X 2, Shure V-15 V MR which they should have never discontinued, Stanton 881S and 981 HZL were nice, too. Ortofon and I have had a pretty rocky relation ship. Other models from Clear Audio, Koetsu and Lyra were to costly for the sound they produced. Gradp and I parted a long time ago and I haven't bothered to re audition. I liked some of the Signets, too. AT and Denon just haven't really impressed me. Right now I use Dynavector, but they are pricey. But the 20X 2 has kept me very happy and I wouldn't hesitate pull out my 20 X or 10 X 5 held in reserve if a problem arose.

I would keep the AT because it has its own preamp and D/A converter, but more important, VTA adjustment. It can be used with many more cartridges and systems more easily than the Fisher.

I'd keep all three. If one dies you have a backup. When storing belt drive turntables disconnect the belt from the motor so you don't get a flat spot on the belt.

Back
Top Bottom