My dream car......what's yours?

Someday, I'd like to have another one.

I had three GTs when younger- I brought two of the three back from the dead. LIke most Opels in the USA, they were vastly misunderstood by most owners- but I could make them run like they should, consistently. I think I still could rebuild one of those 35mm single-barrel Solex carbs (1100) or one of those 32/36mm two-barrel Solex carbs (1900), even now, with a little time...

The one in the picture above is a bit of a head-scratcher, though. It's got the US badging on the side but the European-style clear-lens parking lights above the bumper (those were amber on US models). I know it's pre-1972 (the non-opening rear quarter windows give that away), but without the original wheels, or being able to see the interior (the idiot lights in the dash were rectangular in early models, but round in later ones, and the drivers door window crank went from low on the door to high on the door in later models too), it's hard to pin it down more than that...

Regards,
Gordon.
Whenever Opel comes up, I'm reminded of going past the factory in Russelsheim on the train twice a day, between Frankfurt a.M. and Hanau, sipping my morning quatro-cappuccino from a portacup.

095328132-eb221706-30b7-4408-b222-1d9368b8f705.jpg

Another nice dream: Pagani Zonda

OPEL2.png

I went to high school in the early 70's. While most of my classmates were all about "pony cars" I was looking at this Opel. Glad I did not buy one as GM stopped importing parts for the German made Opel shortly after switching over to the Japanese "Opel".
All three of the big American car makers did not support their captive imports for very long, parts were hard to come by after the cars were no longer imported.

OPEL2.png

I went to high school in the early 70's. While most of my classmates were all about "pony cars" I was looking at this Opel.

That is a very sharp looking car - very modern and elegant lines. I would want it in a different color but very cool car.

Snade

I had a friend in the 80s that collected Opels - he always lusted after the Opel GT (aka the baby Corvette model),
but mostly owned the more mundane kadetts (more like a mini Chevy Nova) ... all were very rust-worthy.

1973 - Opel-GT.jpg 1975-Opel-Kadett.jpg

OPEL2.png

I went to high school in the early 70's. While most of my classmates were all about "pony cars" I was looking at this Opel. Glad I did not buy one as GM stopped importing parts for the German made Opel shortly after switching over to the Japanese "Opel".
All three of the big American car makers did not support their captive imports for very long, parts were hard to come by after the cars were no longer imported.
Yeah mom’s Cortina was dealt that same hand by Ford. She should have listened to her 8th grade son and bought the 510.

I had a friend in the 80s that collected Opels - he always lusted after the Opel GT (aka the baby Corvette model),
but mostly owned the more mundane kadetts (more like a mini Chevy Nova) ... all were very rust-worthy.

View attachment 1447933 View attachment 1447934

I had a professor that drove one of those mini Corvette Opels on nice days. It was kind of cool and certainly got one's attention, but it always looked like a movie prop or something. Like something that the Mike Meyers version of The Cat And The Hat would drive.

:p

Last edited:
View attachment 1457246 View attachment 1457247 View attachment 1457248
I have owned this for 27 years and have put 3 motors, including a Rebello 3 liter and now it has a very warmed over LS1/T56 putting down 400 hp to the wheels. Thats 6 lbs per hp...it's a lot of fun!
That should be a hand full. Back in the late 70's I had a chance to drive a 240Z with an LT-1 350/370 HP with a Muncie M-21 4 speed and it was a LOT of fun. Don't know what was in it for a rear end but the wheels were still 4 bolt and the car looked bone stock. She was a screamer.:rockon::banana:

I have had the good fortune to own some pretty nice cars...my favorite was a Black Chevelle. Owned and enjoyed it for 25 years.
Very nice! Glad to see you resisted the temptation to clone it into a phony SS396.

That 67 is my favorite body style , followed by the 70 on those Chevelles.
Besides my 65 El Camino (of course) my favorite “A” body style is the 66 Chevelle. Then again a 2-Door Chevelle 300 wagon is also very sweet. But if we’re dreaming of dream cars I’ll take the 1 convertible out of 201 1965 RP Z16 Chevelle produced.

Back
Top Bottom