My dream car......what's yours?

Thanks for the likes and compliments on my Chevelle. Funny I zoomed in on one of the pictures and i could actually smell the interior...hard to put it into words but the A Bodies had a certain smell. Not objectionable, kind of intoxicating, a mix of vinyl and carpet...Lots of good memories with that car...I could tell stories lol.

Had the motor out in 1991 and a good friend (who has passed) and I freshened it up and put a lot of HD parts in that thing. Then it went for paint and a new vinyl top. Drove it for 20 problem free years (April - Nov.) after that without as much as a hick up...well except for when the header bolts loosened up on one side without me knowing it. The header was apparently still stuck to the gasket. Until after breaking the motor in I did a hole shot on a backroad. It blew the header off the motor by about 1/8in. when I hit 2nd gear...I thought i hurt the motor. Limped it home and put it in the garage, i believe there were more than a couple of beers drank that night. Next day went out to the garage and opened the hood. Took me a few minutes to notice the header separated from the motor WHO HOO!

header bolts

Yeah, header bolts need to be re-tightened every now and then or you are going to have leaks. They get so hot and "stretch", then cool, so you know what happens. I've seen many a head pop right off an exhaust manifold bolt when the fastener says "I can't stretch any further".
Exhaust leaks can really fool you. When they are down near the collector area they can even sound like a wrist pin or connecting rod going bad.

Chevelle fan here. Had a few. First was a 65 300 Deluxe 2 door post with a 6/glide. Next was a 69 Malibu 2 door HT 307/glide bucket seat,console car which I dropped an L-79 327/built T-350 into. Then I had a 69 Beaumont Custom 2 door HT 307/T-350, next up 68 Beaumont 300 Deluxe 2 door HT 6cyl/glide, and lastly a 66 Beaumont 4 door sedan parts car I got for free. I may get another one someday but I've grown partial to the full size cars like my 67 Belair. I can actually fit two sets of golf clubs with pull carts in the trunk. Can't do that with an A-body. ;)

This is for you Chevelle fans. 66 belongs to a friend and my Nova is next to it.

View attachment 1457571

Nice! had a 68 Nova with a 350 in it, but always wanted to do a shoebox. Would due a tribute to a local 64 straight axle with fender well headers. Old School with Crager SS wheels.

Had a 68 Skylark I liked a lot, 350 rocket, auto with factory AC and bench seat. Was my wife's favorite...had GTO springs, HD sway bars, trailing arms, 12 bolt...put late model Z-28 wheels on it. Car was quiet and cruised the highway like a dream.

I had a 68 Chevelle SS 396 that was rather beastly. Way over-cammed engine I built, first one for myself, Super T10 four speed, 5:13 rear. Also a 68 Camaro 327 auto and a 68 Firebird 400 Turbo 400.
I'm a huge Buick fan and would love an early Skylark but time is getting short for any new builds.

I had a 68 Chevelle SS 396 that was rather beastly. Way over-cammed engine I built, first one for myself, Super T10 four speed, 5:13 rear. Also a 68 Camaro 327 auto and a 68 Firebird 400 Turbo 400.
I'm a huge Buick fan and would love an early Skylark but time is getting short for any new builds.
I see your from VA. Ever run the 1/8th over in Waynesboro? My brother lives there and we try to get to the track when we get together. Some fast local guys over there.

Waynesboro

No but I'm pretty sure Gary Gore owned it and his brother Dickie owned Manassas (Old Dominion). I raced Old Dominion for twenty years off and on. They had Friday night events and it was close so I could go to work, race, and get home and still have all weekend to myself. Man I miss that, now racing is an all day event and a much longer drive.

Thanks for the likes and compliments on my Chevelle. Funny I zoomed in on one of the pictures and i could actually smell the interior...hard to put it into words but the A Bodies had a certain smell. Not objectionable, kind of intoxicating, a mix of vinyl and carpet...
Mine were always informed by a hint of mildew. Maybe that's what you get for driving an A-body in the Pacific Northwest.

What was the motor, anyway? Not an L-79, was it?

Mine were always informed by a hint of mildew. Maybe that's what you get for driving an A-body in the Pacific Northwest.

What was the motor, anyway? Not an L-79, was it?
Same here in sunny So Cal even after a full restoration and custom interior with Benz spec carpet, tweed and leather. It probably took 10 years, but that moisture gets in and things get a touch of funkiness. Especially with a daily driver like my elco. Then again I’m 3 miles from the beach.

Jay Leno is a fan of Citroen engineering prowess, particularly the DS-19.

DS..... The Godess. Beautiful beautiful cars. Stunning technical tour de force. Especially noteworthy when you consider that sleek car with all it's advanced features debuted in 1955. Hydropneumatic suspension, disc brakes, engine slides under passenger compartment in a frontal collision, safety steering wheel (later models had steerable headlights) Park it next to a 55 Chevy (for example) and there's just no comparison. Unfortunately, mechanics here in the USA didn't understand it, or parts weren't readily available, or both as they just didn't seem to gain traction over here.

These 2 would be a start

View attachment 1421215

Mom owned a 64 Ford Galaxy XL 2 door hardtop. Hers was burgundy exterior with black interior, 390, automatic. Beautiful looking car in and out, but brutally hot during the summer, and frankly didn't perform anywhere near as good as it should have IMO. Relatively plodding and slow , wallowed through corners. Ate mufflers like candy. ( they were right behind the rear wheels and rusted out)

Truth be told I’ve had my dream car. I haven’t posted pics of the 65 El Camino that was the cause of elcoholic’s addiction in a long time. Note the clarity of the reflections in the depth of the paint

Not a Camino but just your standard 1965 Chevelle Malibu 2dr HT. One of the overall best cars I ever owned in terms of looks, performance, utility, etc. Mine was pure driver..... not a show car. (crappy quality photo from 1985)
4638_1164143544499_1103762_n.jpg

Last edited:
Any Talbot Lago or Delahaye

Attachments

• 1603726893_img_1723_mmthumb.jpeg
    1603726893_img_1723_mmthumb.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 1938_Delahaye_165Cabriolet1.jpg
    1938_Delahaye_165Cabriolet1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 11
'87 Porsche Carrera M491 .... Number 40 of 62 made. I've owned it six years... It is virtually perfect. It has had a lot better life than I have!

Attachments

• 2020-04-22_07-23-18.jpg
    2020-04-22_07-23-18.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 16
Had a 63 Impala SS a number of years ago, but this is what I'd get now if I could afford it. 1960 Impala. Beautiful!View attachment 2196166
My Dad's last car was a 60 Impala convertible, red with a black top and black inserts on the quarter panel trim. 348 with three dueces and a 4 speed. I loved that car as a kid, unfortunately he rolled it three times on his last drive. :(

Back
Top Bottom