Guest137

Quick questions: Why does the radio tuner in the car parked in the driveway pick up more stations and has better signal strength than my stereo receiver which is only a few yards away? Is the antenna for the car that much better than the one paired with my stereo receiver?

Quick questions: Why does the radio tuner in the car parked in the driveway pick up more stations and has better signal strength than my stereo receiver which is only a few yards away? Is the antenna for the car that much better than the one paired with my stereo receiver?

I have the same problem in my house.
Am is even worse than Fm.
I have a Sony Walkman and a Memorex MR4240 that have great reception in my house.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a 7 foot Channel Master roof top antenna that can capture signals from 70 miles away. Get a quality antenna.

good antenna.. no question! A dipole is easy to play with hold and moving around for directional strength often mounted vertically vrs horizontally sometimes makes a difference. AM antenna is just a single wire. if very far away you get a signal booster.

My mother in law recently bought a newer home in the Orlando area here in Florida. Immediately upon entering her home you would lose cell phone reception I had a hunch what the problem was, and looked in her attic. Foil backed insulation on the inside of the roof. Who knows what is in the walls?

Now, I'm not saying this is the OP's issue. But the short answer is that @WaynerN is correct. Get a good outdoor antenna. I posted this thread in Tuners a few years ago:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...tance-of-an-outdoor-antenna-in-2-pics.746241/

The pictures tell the story.

For years I used an old DELCO radio pulled from a car in my house. In short, they were usually designed and built better than "indoor" tuners.

I haven't kept up on advances in car radios, but it used to be that they had better front ends, meaning RF amplification stages. This improved AM and FM sensitivity. They were also in my experience often more selective than non-car radios. Antennas had less to do with it, although a car body generally makes a good ground plane for a vertical whip.

The reason, I always assumed, was that a car radio operates in a more hostile environment, with a sub-optimal antenna.

The 06 milan I have has a rf amplifier to boost the signal strength the radio gets. The antenna is in the rear window. The 73 buick my dad had the antenna in the windshield. A dipole antenna.

If you are using a receiver with an old ferrite bar antenna, you can probably boost the signal dramatically by adding a cheap external antenna. I like the $15 Terk antennas from Amazon (no affiliation).

For years I used an old DELCO radio pulled from a car in my house. In short, they were usually designed and built better than "indoor" tuners.

I haven't kept up on advances in car radios, but it used to be that they had better front ends, meaning RF amplification stages. This improved AM and FM sensitivity. They were also in my experience often more selective than non-car radios. Antennas had less to do with it, although a car body generally makes a good ground plane for a vertical whip.

The reason, I always assumed, was that a car radio operates in a more hostile environment, with a sub-optimal antenna.

The bottom line is that modern receivers especially the AV Receiver treat the Tuner as an afterthought. Given the decreasing popularity of OTA FM (I'm still a fan!), it's often possible to find a used component tuner cheap. Beware of the ones that came with rack systems. The good ones will have some weight to them.

It probably has a lot to do with the sensitivity of the radio. They are all different. Of course my CC radio picks up everything all my other receivers and radios won't no matter the location. No Affiliation!

Big issue is many FM stations are vertically polarized and some circular polarization, which favors car reception. And you need more signal strength in the house for reliable stereo.

I have rabbet ears inside a metal building for my fm and get great reception and I live out in the boonies.AM I don't care about .

It probably has a lot to do with the sensitivity of the radio. They are all different. Of course my CC radio picks up everything all my other receivers and radios won't no matter the location. No Affiliation!
I use a Sony 5450B and a GE Superadio B revision for standalone AM reception.
The CCs were somewhat inconsistent sample to sample, and both developed problems not supported by C. Crane or the OEM Sangean and retired. The Sony 5450B is a little known overachiever that does everything very well, and a stick shift like the GE. Superb sensitivity, selectivity, rejection, and ergonomics, like the GE. Clear clean sound with tone contour controls for problem reception like the Super. Both are my go-to AM-BCB signal grabblers, limited to 1610kc topside being 1970s sets.

AM - your stereo receiver is/has never been designed for AM performance. By the 70's, AM was already dying so the designers most likely skimped on the circuits.. And the ferrite bar used on many receivers was inferior to the loop designs of AM only units from prior decades...

FM - an out door directional antenna will make a world of difference in the number of stations received and will help eliminate multipath and co-channel interference. Both are a major problem with the crowded FM band today...

Load this FCC query and pick a single FM frequency and it will show you the actual number of translators, LPFM, and Class A,B,C, stations transmitting on that channel.

For example , here's the query for channel 300 (107.9 FM) There are way more than you probably imagined !!

Back
Top Bottom