Today's JAZZ playlist

One more Vibe Jazz album before I take SWMBO to the movies this afternoon.

A new one for me;

Steve Nelson - VibraphoneJazz

816C7XCWSRL._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg
Hey Billy. Steve Nelson is amazing.

Coloured vinyl is always cool when the colour ties into the album title.
I've got Midnight Oil's Blue Sky Mining on blue vinyl. I've never done a comparison, but it sounds better than the black version, heh heh.

It just solidifies the effect. I don’t think I’ve got any that pair with the title, will have to change that.

I don't know the vinyl composition, but the petroleum base definitely sounds better. Now the others I have in yellow, red and green are almost transparent. I agree they look cool on the turntable, especially on the gold Empire 698, although there is a color clash with the lavender AT440mlb.

Heavens above, we cannot have records clashing with our turntables. That’s a faux pas that’ll be hard to recover from. ;)

Sounds like I gotta check this guy out. New to me, for sure.

I know I've listened to this LP on YouTube, and listened to the first tune again today. It was a long time since I heard it. I'm going to listen to the LP again when I get a moment.

Some of the greatest times I saw and heard Barefield with the Illinois Jacquet orchestra. He is on one of Illinois' albums and I really enjoy his playing on that one. One time I was at a restaurant down on the South Street Seaport in Manhattan, and he was playing clarinet with a small Dixieland group. He plays clarinet on Roy Eldridge's "Swing To Dixie" LP. On other recordings he played alto. I also used to see him at a bar in Brooklyn not far from where I lived, off the Manhattan/Village Vanguard track. Just would go in, grab a beer, while he was playing as a sideman in the group. I couldn't believe that this amazing historical figure was playing right there, the neighborhood over from mine. He played tenor with them.

One great week, he led a group at Sweet Basil's down on 7th Ave. in Manhattan. He was playing tenor again.

Eddie Barefield of course, was in Bennie Moten's band, and is on the famous recording of "Moten Swing".

Most of you guys probably know this recording. Eddie Barefield takes the alto solos in the beginning here. Hot Lips Page takes the trumpet solos. Ben Webster has a short break on tenor. Basie is on piano. Eddie Durham is on guitar. The song's actual title on the record is "Moten's Swing"

Last edited:
He played with the best of them. His generation brought in a lot of forward thinking to the bop. As great as the classic Silver Quintet was, Cape Verdean Blues was the next level.

I agree. "Cape Verdean Blues" was a step beyond. When I return from the Saturday SWMBO Movie, I need to play that. You have my appetite for Humphries elevated. :)

I was listening to XM Radio's "Real Jazz" Channel earlier (via stream - no Satellite reception in Hawaii) and they play a show with Christian McBride on Saturdays called "The Lowdown" where Christian interviews Contemporary Jazz musicians and features the music of Icons played by cover groups. And today, Pops? It was "Horace Silver". The cover of "Song for my Father" was amazing. So your timing on this post is perfect.

It will be a Horace Silver and Humpries fest when I get back home in a few hours. :thumbsup:

I agree. "Cape Verdean Blues" was a step beyond. When I return from the Saturday SWMBO Movie, I need to play that. You have my appetite for Humphries elevated. :)

I was listening to XM Radio's "Real Jazz" Channel earlier (via stream - no Satellite reception in Hawaii) and they play a show with Christian McBride on Saturdays called "The Lowdown" where Christian interviews Contemporary Jazz musicians and features the music of Icons played by cover groups. And today, Pops? It was "Horace Silver". The cover of "Song for my Father" was amazing. So your timing on this post is perfect.

It will be a Horace Silver and Humpries fest when I get back home in a few hours. :thumbsup:

Man I need to tune in for that. Gonna raid the archive.

I had to edit my Eddie Barefield post, because I had the wrong tune regarding the strange sounding ride cymbal. It was NOT the first tune! I'm listening now to the LP and will report back!

EDIT: Really digging the Barefield LP. Am wondering what tune I was referring to in the above post. When I heard the Barefield LP earlier today, it had started in the middle of it on YouTube.

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, I just didn't dig a cymbal Mousie Alexander went to on the tribute to Edgar Battle. But he didn't stay on it too long.

Really great album

"Brown Baby" is of course, "Sweet Georgia Brown". "Barefield's Lady" is "Lady Be Good".

TRIPLE EDIT:

The CD of this record has two extra cuts: "Wildcat Blues" and "The Fox"...

s-l1600.jpg

71pt41Y57-L._SL1073_.jpg

Last edited:
My initial Lineup after my TV Western binge ends;

I'm doing a VIBES THEME today. I know Jazz Vibes are not for everyone, but I happen to really like the sound.

Milt Jackson - Sunflower (Vinyl)

71qUB9dnUqL._SS500_.jpg

Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue (Vinyl)

71kBFmHzxnL._AC_UL654_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Lionel Hampton - Mostly Blues (CD)

51rwCQ9UjOL._AC_UL654_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Ahem, don't have to lead with jazz vibes aren't for everyone. ;) That is not a mainstream idea actually. You could also say not everyone likes saxophone. And I have heard people say they don't, which doesn't make that a mainstream idea either. My sneaking suspicion is that vibes are for most people.

OK, breaking news, Glenn.

I called and the Marantz was still available. So I told the guy to hold it for me for a few weeks and I'd stop by and pick it up and he said he would. Offered a deposit over the phone but he said he knows and trusts me so he'll move it to the back room and put my name on it. I'm happy on one hand, and pissed at my self on another for buying yet ANOTHER rig that I don't need.... but that I want. Like you said, too good to pass up, especially recently fully serviced and up to specs. That's a steal. I wish it had a wooden case, but I can always add one later.

I think I will put those Polks on it, and put the newly re-foamed Op 10s back on the Yamaha CA-810 system because that's the way it was when I was in college. This way I can say that the Yamaha system truly IS my ORIGINAL college system. If I add the Polks, it would not be. I'll play with the Klipsch and see what I like better, the Polks or the Klipsch. Both are stellar speakers, so it will probably be a draw.

BTW, thanks a bunch for pushing me to buy those upgraded Polks over what I was going to buy. I have been doing a lot of research and you really did me a major solid favor. And for only $100 more EACH over what I was going to spend, it would have been a travesty not to upgrade to them. And it would have been a double travesty not to buy that Marantz. But it's a done deal now. It's mine.

Life is short Billy. Enjoy the Marantz, I doubt you will be regretting it 6 months from now ;)

Back
Top Bottom