Newly minutes audiophile requesting vintage tube amp recommendations

Chaseth

as the title says I am looking for recommendations of how, what, and who to do to build a great vintage tube system. I have grown up with a father who impressed on me a over arching love of music and great audio gear. His home theater system utilizes nice Rotel equipment and B&w speakers. However he has never had any good tube stuff. I am obsessed guitarist that loves good old tube amps and have learned how to modify and repair my own guitar tube amps. I also have what I consider a nice complete set of Pinnacle Gold home theater speakers as well as a Pro-ject Debut carbon III turntable and a respectable collection of rock and roll vinyl I have collected from my older uncle's, father's, thrift stores, and even some new vinyl. I love and will be listening to classic rock, folk, jazz, garage rock, classic alternative rock, punk and post punk.

I am now looking to get into some nice older gear that will be of excellent original tube quality that may need a little work like caps, new tubes, wiring. I am looking to purchase on eBay or somewhere else? I am looking for recommendations of what kind of setup I should pursue such as dual mono block or different, what exact components? For instance should I buy a reverberation unit? Integrated amp? Mixer? What company's should I look for and avoid? I love my old altec guitar speakers. Convert one of their old PA's? At this point I'm a young guy with a young family so I can't justify to go out and plop down 2k for a mackintosh amp? Is it all in the name or are there some great sleepers out there? Any help would surely be appreciated.

Sort of a broad question with really no right answer. If you want to go back (and I'm going by somewhat unofficial hierarchy )
Mcintosh, Marantz, Accrusound, HK, (one on the tip of my tongue but lost in my head for now:dunno:)(Fairchild:rolleyes:)

Then Fisher, Scott, Eico, Sherwood,

These are not in better to worse order nor are they exclusive.

Also depending on the particular piece one could jump to the other

A Mac c22,c11, Marantz 7, 7b, or a fisher cx400 would be considered a great start.

Any of the for mentioned tube amps would apply for Mac Mc30, 40s,60s,75s
Or stereo mc225, 240, 275....Marantz 5, 7,9s
I think Fairchild had 240 and 260 (Fairchild fans forgive me and correct as you see fit.
This is no way ment to be a comprehensive list or guide. You really have to do some homework .
Also your speaker efficiency is going to come into play.
Lastly , once you go vintage , you're talking perhaps 50 60 years.
If it hasn't been substantially restored , it will need it.
After all this it comes down to your ears.
Many here enjoy vintage tubes, perhaps you're near enough to audition some and get a taste .
Like everything else in audio , you really have to hear for yourself.
Good luck in the rabbit hole (er I mean journey).

OH ps
If you become a subscriber , you will have access to a forum called barter town.
So when you're ready to go shopping you'll have access to a lot of gear at what tends to be below market prices, which has been better cared for and or restored than say eBay or Craigslist. Also you can research the sellers (we are not strangers)
As always do your own research.

Back
Top Bottom