well i did it ,sold my 501s

Fattner

in my other thread bout dwn sizeing because in my new home my audio room is only 10x13,iasked the question what direction i shpuld go with in either a Ma252 or keep my c2300 and pair it up with mc275?,,, Well i just sold my mac501s and my clzii are up for sale, im going to purchase mc275 along with-my mac C2300 i think will sound beautiful with either klipsch heresy III or used the Cornwall or forte III . i will keep my Martin Logan balance force 210 and pair it up with whatever klipsch I get !!! what do guys/gals think !! my source i use is thorens 145 and mac mvp871 . thx

Last edited:
It would be very hard for me to sell off my 501s because I really, really do like them and how well they pair up with the Aerial Acoustic speakers.

But I understand the downsizing thing and what that can entail. I may be looking at that in a few years myself.

Good luck with the new system!

You should really enjoy your new setup for a long time. Let us know what you think comparing old & new please.

501's were proof to the Esoteric Audiophiles that Mac could build an amp that could compete with anyone. Reviewers had to give the amp its do, it was that good. Yes it couldn't meet FTC rules getting to hot, but if used under normal conditions it was a real winner. I heard a few pair and really liked the sound. I didn't care for the different look, but that's just me. The 601's have superior output devices making some say the 601 is a better amp. But the 501's have great sound and nothing for owners to feel ashamed of. Personally I would be hard pressed to give up a pair of 501's for a tube amp, unless some one would offer me a pair of mC 3500's. Then the 501's could have. new home. Is the 3500 a better amp of course not but its the best tube amp I have ever used and heard.

Mc 501 has A C core autoformer. 611 has an E I type. 501 would get warm driving low impedence speakers because of the smaller chasis...

Fatter, my room is slightly smaller than yours 12x12 and I’m using the MC 601 with the C2300 and I’m very happy with it. To me it’s better to have enough power than not enough.

ordered my mc275 for Ryan frm audioclassic on monday should receive it by this coming monday !! Also purchased a beautiful pr of Heresy III thx to a AK member (thx Mark) mac tube+klipsch = music , pics and review soon to come

I have a 275VI and C2200. I had Devore Nines and I am hoping to get Devore 0/93’s! Can’t go wrong! The 275 puts out plenty of power for semi to efficient speakers.
Also plenty of power with inefficient speakers in a small room. I love the modern Mac tube amps with old tubes.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I received my new HeresyIII thx Mark ,inboxed my new Mac MC 275 and my first impression was WOW !! ,No critical listening yet soon I will review my system ,but for now just playing around with speaker location etc !! Here are some pics

1. index.php
    index.php
    index.php
    index.php
    I did some critical listening today only on the vinyl as thesource., The combination of the Mac mc 275 VI tube amp and the klipsch HeresyIII sounded very smooth and silky the details on the music was amazing theimaging and the vocals were dead onPoint. Even though the speakers and the amp are not truly broken in yet themarriage between the two is a match made in heaven. The speakers love tube power and it shows right away it is amazing how efficient the speakers truly are with a very little power runningthrough them. I’ve been an electrostatic guy for a long time and even though Idownsized because of my room size I did not compromise at all on performance, it’s amazing how much I missed not having a full range dynamic speaker especially like the klipsch Heresy III.

Today at 4:44 PMEditReport
    + QuoteReply
    Archguy likes this.

You can always do Like I did for a while and add a second 275 running both mono if you go with less efficient speakers. I ordered a consecutive pair as I was preparing to bi amp my speakers in 1969. But it didn't work out to well the 275's would clip on peaks. So I ended up with Crown DC 300' As and eventually a P2sa. for the bottom. When I heard the MC 7200 for the first time I knew my Crowns were obsolete. Now I use a 207 to tri-amp the front Left and right speakers. But in your case even if you use Cornwalls, which I think you should a new 275 is a perfect match.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom