ADS L1230

jchilds

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked up a pair of ADS L1230 today (actually 1.5 pair, and a bunch of spare drivers) from @that70sguy. Been listening to a variety of music for the last couple hours....very pleased with this addition to the family, thanks Jay! It would seem the L810s I had in that spot have likely been usurped!CE4139D8-0437-489A-B81D-EAED47AD944A.jpeg

Attachments

• 78A47CF3-3271-42AE-840E-2F1444114C56.jpeg
    78A47CF3-3271-42AE-840E-2F1444114C56.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 23
That's fantastic!! I love mine. Enjoy them always, which .... I know you will. Great score on the extra drivers.

I know the exact feeling as well-1230's downstairs, 810's upstairs.
I may try this, too. I’m surely pushing the WAF with the 810’s upstairs, and it may not fly. The downstairs rec room I can do pretty much whatever I want...the upstairs living room not so much.

One of my biggest regrets is letting my ADS 1230's go, they were special speakers for sure. 1530's are on my bucket list, but I do have 700's, 780's and 980's that I enjoy.

I most recently had an opportunity to get a pair of L1530's not 11 miles from my home just a few of months ago. I've said for a couple years now I don't believe I will ever see a set of those south of the Red River. Then, that set came up. The seller was really motivated to sell them to buy a Christmas present for his wife and another ak'er texted him and the seller said he'd take $800. I don't believe the AK'er got them ... but someone picked them up. I really lamented over not getting them and still do VERY much. My problem was that they took too much space for what space I had, and I've built a 5.1 system based off the L1230's. I'm also saving room for a set of L910's if ever I get a set my way. I feel your pain RS Steve.

My L1530’s are overkill for my space, but that didn’t stop me! Hell, they’d be overkill for most spaces. The 1230’s would probably be just right for my space, but I love how over the top the 1530’s are. I just keep telling my wife that they made an even bigger model. At least they aren’t 2030’s!

Would like to try 1230's someday. Had 1530's and they were fantastic. Kind of regret selling them, but they were overkill for the room I had them in. Enjoy those 1230's.
Thanks Mike - so far I like em a lot. Got that magic ADS midrange and highs, and they dig a little deeper than the 810’s I had in there

Thanks Mike - so far I like em a lot. Got that magic ADS midrange and highs, and they dig a little deeper than the 810’s I had in there

They do like a little juice (smiling). If you have a copy of Eagles Hotel California on the Hell Freezes over CD, give it a whirl on those L1230's. Love that kick drum after the intro.

They do like a little juice (smiling). If you have a copy of Eagles Hotel California on the Hell Freezes over CD, give it a whirl on those L1230's. Love that kick drum after the intro.
Thanks Garry - the ol Yamaha is gonna have to do until I can finish the Haflers. It does OK for a receiver!

Hey jchilds, so happy for you to have these. Seriously.

Regarding your Grill Cloth issues, No matter what you do, be sure to save the material "if you replace it" on the one speaker... that said, I spent over a year and received well over a dozen and a half samples when I was in search of replacement Grill cloth to match the manufacturer. I was unsuccessful in the end. If in your quest you find something be sure to post it if you will, as there are a few of us still looking. Of all the samples I got back, I never got one that even came close in terms of True Black, and a weave that perfectly matched. This was both expensive and inexpensive samples. I ended up contacting Richard for any recommendations, and he sent me to the link I'll post below. Price was nice too, but it's not an exact match. Slightly thinner and I mean ever so slight, and it's not the exact same black as the original Cloth, nor is the weave the same. However, it was as close as I could get. The color of the black was enough no one but me actually notices it.

Grill Cloth via the bay,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEAKER-ST...rentrq:f589dc8c1690ab640d3a2cd1fff666f7|iid:1

Here is the manual for the L1230. This will describe that switch and where it's appropriate to use.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/997456/Ads-L420.html?page=3#manual

The fuse covers, they are rare to find. Funny as it seems, I've actually seen the rare ADS C2000 to biamp those speakers come up more often then the fuse covers. I'll double check, but I think? the fuse covers on L810's fit on the L1230s as well.

Back
Top Bottom