Today's JAZZ playlist

Like Billy Batts, I'm a fan of the Ramsey Lewis show Legends of Jazz, which WDCB is running (rerunning) now.

Listened to this earlier today.
Something Unexpected
Peter Martin (piano) with Nicholas Payton on trumpet and flugelhorn, Reginald Veal on bass, Adonis Rose on drums, and Brice Winston on tenor saxophone.

PeterMartin.jpg

I had to edit my Eddie Barefield post, because I had the wrong tune regarding the strange sounding ride cymbal. It was NOT the first tune! I'm listening now to the LP and will report back!

EDIT: Really digging the Barefield LP. Am wondering what tune I was referring to in the above post. When I heard the Barefield LP earlier today, it had started in the middle of it on YouTube.

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, I just didn't dig a cymbal Mousie Alexander went to on the tribute to Edgar Battle. But he didn't stay on it too long.

Really great album

"Brown Baby" is of course, "Sweet Georgia Brown". "Barefield's Lady" is "Lady Be Good".

TRIPLE EDIT:

The CD of this record has two extra cuts: "Wildcat Blues" and "The Fox"...

s-l1600.jpg

71pt41Y57-L._SL1073_.jpg

Ok, I have a working theory about the tune "Soup Beans" on the Eddie Barefield "Indestructible" recording. I'm thinking that the Coleman Hawkins Capitol sessions with Sir Charles Thompson, Howard McGhee, and Denzil Best were on Eddie Barefield's mind when he recorded the "Indestructible" sessions. "Indestructible" is made up of two different sessions. And "Soup Beans" has a line very similar to "Too Much Of A Good Thing" from the Hawkins sessions, which is based on "Fine And Dandy", which I posted last night. It's not the same line or overall chord changes - but the first part of the "A" section IS the same chord changes to "Too Much Of A Good Thing". The title "Soup Beans" on "Indestructible" is intriguing, because "Bean Soup" is the name of another song from the Capitol/Hawkins sessions, which is based on the chord changes of "Tea For Two". And "Bean Soup" has the same arpeggio-type pattern as "Too Much" and "Bean Soup".

Also, on "Brown Baby", the tune based on the changes of "Sweet Georgia Brown", Jon Faddis quotes "Hollywood Stampede" in the beginning of his solo, which is the tune played by Hawkins on Capitol which is based on "Sweet Georgia Brown".

"Indestructible" as I said up top, was recorded on two different dates. "Soup Beans" and "Brown Baby" were not recorded on the same day. But my working theory based on the arpeggio-style of the compositions of "Soup Beans", "Bean Soup", and "Too Much Of A Good Thing", the similarity in the two titles, along with Faddis' quote of "Hollywood Stampede" is that the Hawkins/Capitol sessions were on Eddie Barefield and Co.'s minds when they recorded his album.

R-2063839-1261844918.jpeg.jpg

You'll find "Hollywood Stampede" on this version of the Hawkins record above, only. The 10" version doesn't have it, while also not having "What Else Is There To Say?", and "Rifftide".

10" version below

R-4265291-1360141224-2810.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom