I went BIG for my first Hitachi - 1978 SR-2004 Receiver!

Tower Boss

I have been casually looking for the right Hitachi components to acquire. I have many integrated and separates from others, and had really been looking for a nice HMA/HCA-8300 combo to surface. I also had plans on eventually looking for their top reciever from that era, the SR-2004.

Well low and behold I ended up with the Beast Receiver first. Not in my hands yet, as I just secured its purchase and it was just dropped off at UPS for shipping this afternoon. I had to work around a slight catch as I live in Washington and the Receiver was in New York, and was being sold only for local pickup.

Therefore, I decided to take a gamble and posted a request in the Pony Express Forum seeking any AK member local to the area that could pick it up for me and deliver to shipping service. Immediately fellow AK member JonL replied informing me he would be able to assist with pickup, so with that I decided to pursue its purchase. As it turned out, I never needed Jon’s assistance as the seller was more than accommodating, as he delivered it to the UPS Store for packaging and shipment for me within hours of the sale.

Now some details about the receiver condition. After talking to the seller, all controls and preamplifier section are perfect, no noise, all functions work, etcetera, etcetera. There is a problem in the amplifier section though, as the right channel has some distortion and the left is fine. I will not know what the cause is until its arrival, but have plans on a complete restoration of it anyways. I have my local shop here do some routine maintenance on some things I don’t have enough time for, but would like to find a Hitachi Guru to send this off to for repair & restoration. Any recommendations or things I could inform my local crew about this classic if I have them perform the task?

Here is a seller photo of the Beast:

k9yreg.jpg

Shown here with some other Monsters:

MonsterReceiversStack.jpg

Top to Bottom - Nikko NR-1415 / Hitachi SR-2004 / Kenwood KR-9600 / Marantz 2600 / Rotel RX-1603 / Pioneer SX-1980

In closing many thanks to JonL for standing by if needed. :thmbsp:

Regards,
TB

Had that one sounded ok at large volumes but very bad at low volumes....traded it in on a set of ns690s..........the sound was thinking of a word well flat sounding nothing grabs your attention.

Thank you all for the nice comments. I think I will enjoy having the Ol' Girl around the house once she’s gussied up.

Looks like some good AudioKarma came your way. Enjoy your new receiver. :thmbsp:

No Kidding about the AudioKarma! Actually, the last 24 hours have been very good to me, as I was able to acquire a Kyocera A-710 Integrated to complete another matched set to go along with my other A-910 stack.

Lucked into the purchase of a long sought after Nakamichi 1000DAT last night for just under $500.00 to go with my other 1000 Series components. Timing was key as one popped up today with a BIN price at $3000.00. I also purchased it off of ePAY, but it was listed with no photos and minimally worded with NR. Had you not known what you were looking for you would have never known what it was. In addition, the odds of two of these showing up in the same week were huge. I'm very fortunate both listings were not running at the same time.

Finally got an original remote control for my Nakamichi 730 Receiver.

I guess you could say I have had an excellent run of AudioKarma lately.

Regards,
TB

Your probably right as mine might have been let go for the same reason. I got from a very high end seller who does not need to list a lot of his gear with photos for his clientele.

***Edited By Moderators- no auction links allowed outside Dollars & Sense Forum**

Regards,
TB

Edit - Duffinator your other post on the Nakamichi 1000DAT disappeared I was responding to.

Last edited by a moderator:
what a lucky boy you are! i went to grateful's house today to pick up some units and completely forgot about the 2004 on that site. i had serious intentions in getting it. oh well, congrats! hope you enjoy it. nice grab!
:thmbsp:

I thought about ponying that one myself. But I'm trying to downsize and pour some money into my other hobby. Congrats!

Your probably right as mine might have been let go for the same reason. I got from a very high end seller who does not need to list a lot of his gear with photos for his clientele.

Regards,
TB

Edit - Your other post on the Nakamichi 1000DAT disappeared I was responding to Duffinator
I decided to delete that comment after rereading it. But your comment is right on though.

Just an update with some photos of the receiver. I have had it in the house for about two weeks now. It is a nice looking and performing receiver, a keeper for sure.

HitachiSR-2004-01.jpg

HitachiSR-2004-02.jpg

HitachiSR-2004-03.jpg

HitachiSR-2004-04.jpg

HitachiSR-2004-05.jpg

Regards,
TB

That is one very nice Hitachi!

Was their anything wrong with the receiver when you got it?

Hey Laith,

Thanks for the comment. The receiver was sold as fully functional with noisy right channel. I dropped it by shop when I first received and picked it up later that day ready to rock after $60.00 cleaning and look over. I have run her a few hours each day so far with out a hiccup.

Very nice!!!:tresbon:

What speakers are you going to pair it with?

Hey quitarslam,

Thanks for the comment. I have been running it through a pair of Martin Logan Clarity’s. It sounds really nice on those.

Regards,
TB

Congrats on your purchase Tower Boss, you've got a great collection going there. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom