A/D/S line pecking order?

Subscribing...lots of good info here! I grew up listening to a set of a/d/s L980s that I may refurbish some day.
David
Welcome to AK. The question is what do you mean by refurbish? Neglected and abused L980's are punishable by death. :uzi:

Hello Guys!
Nice thread - just had to be a member to see all those nice pics;-)
I'm a a big BRAUN fan since childhood and have listened to my dad's setup for hours and hours. It was all BRAUN PS500 turntable, The all metal Reel to Reel deck (weighs a ton!) and Regie 501 I think and those nice L-701 with rounded corners;-)

BRAUN were really cool in the seventees - the best gear around.

I inherited the 701's and had them for several years. Now they are back in my dad's storage. I got them from him when he bought something special - a pair of LV-1020 Active speakers. They were really really (I mean really) great! The clarity, the bass the live feeling!!! When he bought them we listened in awe for a couple of hours and then reconnected the 701's again. They sounded like a bag of peanuts just after the LV-1020!! Horrible experience ,-)

I attach a borrowed picture of LV-1020. The woofers are 12''

Attachments

• lv1020.jpg
    lv1020.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 171
I remember those. Want to sell them :)

Awesome speakers, keep em close to your chest...

Hello, same story as Shaft, when I found this thread I joined the community.

I purchased a pair of L730s way back when along with an NAD integrated, I think it was the 3140, a Denon casette deck, tuner and turntable. Got most of the gear from Audio Associates in the DC area and eventually joined the company to sell this stuff.

First system change: bought a Luxman tube amp and used the NAD as a preamp. Very nice combo. Eventually sold the L730s, stupid mistake #1, got a pair of Acoustat ones, paired it with a Nakamichi PA-5 amp and a baby Conrad Johnson PV-3 preamp. Acoustats had to go this past year, had to downsize big time. Kept the amp, bought a pair of L-400s on EBay, and I bought a Conrad Johnson PV 10A that I'm anxiously awaiting from Canada. Just a great speaker IMO, and the size is perfect - for the marriage factor. They site nicely on the cabinet next to the LCD.

Yeah, we sold a bunch of ADS/Yamaha receiver combos back then, 570s, 780s matched up nicely, but I always loved the L1290s. After-hours in the store we'd hang out listening to music and playing around with the toys. One evening we bi-amped the 1290s using two Perreaux amps, a 5150 for the bass I believe, and a lower powered model for the tweeter/mids.

Anyway, thanks for all the valuable info about this speaker line. I wasn't a real tech kinda sales guy when it came to the guts of the stuff, but I did enjoy getting to know the customers and playing with the gear.

Maybe I can run this question by you all: I really think the bass is decent on these little L400s, but if you were to add a small powered sub, what would you choose? Anything out there that takes line levels with a biult-in crossover, or would you buy an external crossover? See, I've been out of it for a long time....

You know, for a little two channel system that doesn't have a surround sound 5/7 channel amp & speaker set up, it sounds remarkably nice for movies too.

I use a prototype a/d/s/ C10ps at work with a pair of L400's on the F400 stands... nice combo. There's probably a lot of small powered subs out there that would give similar results though.

John

I use a prototype a/d/s/ C10ps at work with a pair of L400's on the F400 stands... nice combo. There's probably a lot of small powered subs out there that would give similar results though.

John

Thanks, that seems like a great choice. It has line level in and out w/ crossover that I can put between the preamp & amp. I appreciate it.

I was going to buy a very nice looking pair of L400's until I discovered that both tweeters were out. The seller emailed me a few days later and apologized for wasting my time. He had decided not to fix them and said I could have them for free! Needless to say, I jumped on them.

After a bit of googling, I dismantled the tweets and repaired a break in each voice coil. The speakers sound very good, but I'm wondering if it's worth putting new caps in the x-overs. Any suggestions?

The L400's (small cab) have a bit of hump in their response when used full-range. They sound much more natural in the larger cabinet, earlier version. Although it is unlikely the caps are bad (ADS used good quality polyester films even then) going to a polypropylene will get a bit more output from the tweeter and that might be a good thing on this version of the L400. I'd try it.

Thanks for the info Soundmotor. I was mostly concerned about electrolytics. I'll have to take another look because I thought I saw at least one in there.

As for the response curve, I don't remember ever hearing the older L400s, but I believe what you say. I have to confess that a big part of my attraction to the newer ones is the aesthetics.

Anyway, It's nice to have any pair of ADS speakers in my life again. I've been without that sound for many years. I'm hoping to get my hands on a pair of L1290s that my dad used to own.

Anyone got any info on the ADS- M15-90's :scratch2:

I found a set and am considering working a trade :thmbsp:

corssover capacitor

I recently acquired a pair of ADS L400s (circa 1982, the smaller box). Soundmotor thinks it might be a good idea to replace the caps in them.

It looks like the xovers are a pita to remove from these boxes, so I don't think I'll replace all the caps. There is one electrolytic in there (63v 25uF) that I can get at and, as it is an electrolytic, it's the one I'm most concerned about.

My questions are:

What specifically is this cap doing? If I replace it, shoud I use another electrolytic or should I upgrade to something like this
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?PartNumber=027-438

Would that Dayton cap alter the impedence significantly?

I have seen that the A/D/S line of speakers are well regarded here. I have the 570. Anyone care to rank the ADS speakers you have heard/owned? How would you characterize/describe them? What amps/receivers seem to be good mates to the ADS line?
Back in the MID 70's my friend and I both went into Magnolia hi-fi to get stacked Advents. We both walked out with L810's.

I eventually replaced them with a couple of ESS 1B Monitors which I bi-amped using a Hitachi HMA-8300 to the woofers and HMA 7500 mos-fet to the tweeters. I used the HCA 7500 preamp.

The 8300 lost a channel about 8 years ago and I threw it away. (DOH!)

I still use the rest of the stuff except for the speakers which I lost via family court about twelve years ago...

Looking back I shoulda just kept the 810's They were incredible and I would probably still have them.

Back
Top Bottom