A/D/S line pecking order?

I am trying to decide which one to get after acquiring the 570 (which I like).
Reading the posts it seems like the 1230, 1530 or 1290 would be great. Any preference amongst these three?

Back in the MID 70's my friend and I both went into Magnolia hi-fi to get stacked Advents. We both walked out with L810's.

...do you recall how much the L810's were priced at Magnolia HiFi back in the day?

Which store? I used to haunt the Lynnwood and Roosevelt stores and :drool: alot. Did most of my buying at Jafco or mail order.

Back in the MID 70's my friend and I both went into Magnolia hi-fi to get stacked Advents. We both walked out with L810's.

I eventually replaced them with a couple of ESS 1B Monitors which I bi-amped using a Hitachi HMA-8300 to the woofers and HMA 7500 mos-fet to the tweeters. I used the HCA 7500 preamp.

The 8300 lost a channel about 8 years ago and I threw it away. (DOH!)

I still use the rest of the stuff except for the speakers which I lost via family court about twelve years ago...

Looking back I shoulda just kept the 810's They were incredible and I would probably still have them.

I did close to the same thing! I use to go in there in the late 70s and listen to speakers and the ADS were always the ones I liked the most. It wasn't until the early 80s that I could afford some and I bought L1090s and still have them!

I am trying to decide which one to get after acquiring the 570 (which I like).
Reading the posts it seems like the 1230, 1530 or 1290 would be great. Any preference amongst these three?

All the speakers you list are great. I prefer the L1090 because it has less box sound. The L1290s are great, and go down a couple Hz lower than the L1090s due to the bigger woofers, but I think the box is far from dead (as compared to the smaller box/woofer of the L1090).

Last edited:
First AK Photo Attemp

Here goes. Let's see if it uploads successfully... :banana: a debut pic of my ADS Trifecta.

Last edited:
Anyone have the specs on the L780's? I've looked through the various ADS reference threads & couldn't find them (excuse me if they are somewhere). Also did the specs change between the L780 & L780 2's?

I bought my L980's new in 1984. I really really think I want new speakers but each time I listen to those in my den I can't convince myself why I need something else.

a/d/s L-780/2 Specifications

DESIGN:

> Three-way design

> Speaker drivers consist of:
- (1) 0.75" woven soft dome tweeter with proprietary damping. Single layer voice coil assembly. Magnetic fluid cooling.

- (1) 2" woven soft-dome midrange with proprietary damping. Single layer, high temperature voice coil assembly.

- (1) 8.25" cast basket, high compliance woofer with tapered damped Stifflite cone and butyl rubber surround. Wet wound, Linear Drive voice coil assembly

> Tweeter frequency switch, plus 1.5 db or normal

> Fuse protected on the rear of the speakers

SPECIFICATIONS:

> Frequency response: 40-27,000 hz, +-3 dB

> Impedance: 8 ohms, nominal

> Efficiency: 92 dB SPL from 2.8 VRMS ("1 Watt") at 1 meter

CABINET:

> Enclosure Type: Acoustic suspension, with glass fiber damping

> Enclosure construction - .75" thick, high density compressed wood with heavy internal bracing.

> Finish: Straight-grain, genuine walnut veneer with solid walnut corner bolsters

> Grille: Acoustically transparent, frameless perforated steel with matte black finish

> Dimensions: W 12.5" x D 11.5" x H 21"

> Weight: 26 lb each

HISTORY:

> Original MSRP: $700 a pair

> Offered: from 1984-87

Attachments

• L780-2.jpg
    L780-2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 83
  • L780-1.jpg
    L780-1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 109
ADS speakers

I have had several ADS models, my L810's are still my favorite. Will keep them forever.

my mom bought a pair of L420s back around '80, AFAIK. she passed in 2000.

my dad has never cared about using them even tho i set them up so they could be used for the audio when he watched a dvd movie but he said he doesn't care about the sound quality and would i like them.

so, of course, rather than they just collect dust, i brought them home.
they're now used as the surrounds in my HT setup and sometimes i just run them for 2 ch stereo with cds, tapes, LPs.

DESIGN:

> Three-way design

> Speaker drivers consist of:
- (1) 0.75" woven soft dome tweeter with proprietary damping. Single layer voice coil assembly. Magnetic fluid cooling.

- (1) 2" woven soft-dome midrange with proprietary damping. Single layer, high temperature voice coil assembly.

- (1) 8.25" cast basket, high compliance woofer with tapered damped Stifflite cone and butyl rubber surround. Wet wound, Linear Drive voice coil assembly

> Tweeter frequency switch, plus 1.5 db or normal

> Fuse protected on the rear of the speakers

SPECIFICATIONS:

> Frequency response: 40-27,000 hz, +-3 dB

> Impedance: 8 ohms, nominal

> Efficiency: 92 dB SPL from 2.8 VRMS ("1 Watt") at 1 meter

CABINET:

> Enclosure Type: Acoustic suspension, with glass fiber damping

> Enclosure construction - .75" thick, high density compressed wood with heavy internal bracing.

> Finish: Straight-grain, genuine walnut veneer with solid walnut corner bolsters

> Grille: Acoustically transparent, frameless perforated steel with matte black finish

> Dimensions: W 12.5" x D 11.5" x H 21"

> Weight: 26 lb each

HISTORY:

> Original MSRP: $700 a pair

> Offered: from 1984-87

Just what I needed, thanks!

ads sub 6?

Is anyone familiar with this ads subwoofer?

The ads Sub 6 is a passive subwoofer with (2) 6.5" drivers in a dual-tuned band-pass enclosure that was first offered in 1992. I am looking for additional specifications.

I am also looking for advice on the best way to connect this subwoofer to my home office system that includes ads L400s.

Please connect to the following posting to see the full details: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238860

Thanks!

Attachments

• ads_Sub_ 6.jpg
    ads_Sub_ 6.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 39
Ads l1530

While most folks were enjoying their July 4th holiday, I kept my plans to visit two estate sales. The first sale I stumbled upon a pair of ADS L1530's in near mint condition. I couldn't load them in my SUV fast enough! I have never owned or really listened much to any ADS speakers but now I am a fan! It will take awhile to find the perfect match with my various amps/receivers but I look forward to trying many different set ups. The front covers were being cleaned when I snapped this pic. The only wall room I had at the moment is beside my rear surrounds.

Attachments

• DSC01897.jpg
    DSC01897.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 171
While most folks were enjoying their July 4th holiday, I kept my plans to visit two estate sales. The first sale I stumbled upon a pair of ADS L1530's in near mint condition. I couldn't load them in my SUV fast enough! I have never owned or really listened much to any ADS speakers but now I am a fan! It will take awhile to find the perfect match with my various amps/receivers but I look forward to trying many different set ups. The front covers were being cleaned when I snapped this pic. The only wall room I had at the moment is beside my rear surrounds.

some spend their life looking for a nice set of these. Lucky dog!

L620 ADS speakers, near-dead Yamaha amp

I bought a set of ADS L620s new in 1979. Still have them. Great speaker for the dollar. Still use them. Drove them with a Yamaha CA-610 II "Natural Sound" Amp that was a good, clean workhorse. It finally seems to have died a couple months back, though I'm sure many of you audio-techies could resurrect it. It had been taking a long time to power up, some kind of relay delay, and it would take a few minutes before it would work after the power was turned on. I have seen other posts with this same problem so must be not too unusual an issue. I finally went with always leaving it on, but finally it just quit working.
Saw a NAD 3150 amp for sale pretty cheap in my area from the same era with similar specs and inputs/outputs. Anyone care to comment on how they might compare? Probably a better thread for this post somewhere else. I'm new to the site. Any comments appreciated.

You may want to contact Merrylander regarding the amp issue. He is the resident Yamaha guru.

I am excited, I scored a pair of M15s off of Craigslist. One of my friends picked them up for me and will bring them this afternoon. There is one problem in that the butyl surround on one of the woofers has separated from the cone side. I have some sort of special glue designed to be used on this type of surround I picked up at a speaker repair shop which is now out of business.

I am concerned that the butyl may normally be heat bonded to the cone rather than glued and if I attempt the repair may make it more difficult for someone with more experience like a professional to affect a repair later if i fail to apply the glue properly. I'd greatly appreciate an advice anyone would like to give me on whether to and how to attempt repair myself. These should mate fairly well with my L1590s in my home theater I hope.

Back
Top Bottom