What are some good MOSFET amps?

FWIW, the vintage Ashlys(FET models) all used Hitachi 2SJ50 and 2SK135 MOSFETs.

You'll find four of five Ashlys here in my stable, and three Hitachi HMAs including what i think is the best sounding of them all. the lowly 1/2 gob per channel HMA6500 using a single pair of MOSFETs per channel.

You'll find four of five Ashlys here in my stable

Dang, I only got three Ashlys. Which ones am I missing? But I'm right there with absolve2525 on the Sherwood S-6040CP and with bowtie427ss on the little Hitachi HMA-6500 with its cute yella meters. Or its Canadian integrated brother, the beauteous HA-7700. The Mk2 versions of the HMA-7500 and 8500 are worth a look too. All surprisingly affordable.

Just to show off my brilliant intellect - What's a 1/2 gob per channel?
It's just me, fooling around as usual. Pretending "gobs of power" is something quantifiable and making the Gob the unit of output power.

It's just me, fooling around as usual. Pretending "gobs of power" is something quantifiable and making the Gob the unit of output power.

Thanks, sounds like a damn good unit of measurement to me. Sort of like "gazillion"

You've caught the spirit of it exactly.

And just to go on record (again), I'm a big fan of the OP's STA-2200 receiver. Lots of bang per buck.

Hitachi HMA 7500 MK II

Just scored an immaculate Hitachi set...

HMA 7500 MK II Power amp
HCA 7500 MK II Pre amp

Running 4 ohms into B&O S75 4 ways.

Sounds damn gorgeous! A beauty mosfet amp this one!

I wont be selling this puppy! :banana:

photo5.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

I live in a place that is not really into hifi at all, so I will never see any of those brands here. Heck, Pioneer is rare here.

It sounds like you have a very nice sounding receiver in that Realistic. Many consider it to be the best sounding Realistic ever made. I'd snag one if it turned up around here.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a very nice sounding receiver in that Realistic. Many consider it to be the best sounding Realistic ever made. I'd snag one if it turned up around here.

I look for stuff everyday. I have had some major scores, but the brands overlap. I would like it if there was a little bit more selection. I would have to go hundreds of miles in any direction to find something above standard.

Just scored an immaculate Hitachi set...

HMA 7500 MK II Power amp
HCA 7500 MK II Pre amp

Running 4 ohms into B&O S75 4 ways.

Sounds damn gorgeous! A beauty mosfet amp this one!

I wont be selling this puppy! :banana:

photo5.jpg

Nice! Love the look of those giant meters.

Hmmm... thats interesting about the Hitachi HMA-6500. Ill have to rotate mine back into the main system soon! Has anyone replaced the main caps on theirs? It does have the cap coupling switch as well. I imagine that might need to be replaced soon.

Hmmm... thats interesting about the Hitachi HMA-6500. Ill have to rotate mine back into the main system soon! Has anyone replaced the main caps on theirs? It does have the cap coupling switch as well. I imagine that might need to be replaced soon.
Haven't done it yet, but a PS re-capping is on the schedule this winter for the 6500 and maybe one of the 8500's. Re-location and home construction are going to put a damper on my audio projects for the next couple years i'm afraid.

Here's a few pics of some of my MOSFETs, 1st is a very early nude Ashly FET-200 S/N 28, next is a late production nude FET-2000M, and finally the stack top to bottom FET-200, FET-1000M, FET-2000M, and FET-500. They're off duty til Memorial Day weekend 2012 when they'll do some volunteer live sound duty, and until the new mancave is constructed.

For posterity i've included a pic of the grubby HMA-6500, and HMA-8500mkII's.

I kinda like MOSFETs. :yes:

fet200.jpg

fet2000m.jpg

fetstack.jpg

HMAstack.jpg

My SCS 2600 is nowhere as pretty as the other amps but still a badass brute. This pic is as I received it from the seller. She's currently dismembered on my bench waiting patiently for me to put humpty dumpty back together again now that the case is rust-free.

Once I get it running, I will be upgrading the driver boards courtesy of our resident SCS guru cmechmann and possibly transplanting the guts to an old Peavey amp chassis. The weird front handle on this amp is just plain fugly.

scs1.jpg

My SCS 2600 is nowhere as pretty as the other amps but still a badass brute. This pic is as I received it from the seller. She's currently dismembered on my bench waiting patiently for me to put humpty dumpty back together again now that the case is rust-free.

Once I get it running, I will be upgrading the driver boards courtesy of our resident SCS guru cmechmann and possibly transplanting the guts to an old Peavey amp chassis. The weird front handle on this amp is just plain fugly.

But if it got cleaned up, it's internals would look pretty nice.

Who built the highest wattage mosfet amps?

Like gonzo I have one of those fugly 2600s.
600w at 4ohm. 4 output pair
And a much better looking 2450 (black faced) Mosfet arrangement close to the Hafler P500. 3 output pair. Man I need to find my camera.
I wonder if anyone made mosfet amps with 5 or 6 pair outputs.
Not mosfet, have had in my hands on a 8 output pair per channel, Crest 9001
They also made some 10 and 12 output pair per channel 11001 12001 but all were G class BJC.

Daul die mosfets

I have never seen them. Or even seen a listing on them.
I have read that Hitachi did or was supposed to make dual die mosfets.
These would have 2 2sk170 or 2 2sj49/50 dies in one package.
Has anyone seen them or something like them?
Hmmm 3 pairs of those per channel. Can you say 40 pound transformer.

Back
Top Bottom