Oldest Amp / Receiver You Own That Has Never Had to be Serviced

My Sansui 5000X, only "servicing" that has been done to it in the time I've owned it (Almost 10 years!) has been spraying contact cleaner in the controls, other than that, she has been dead on reliable and I have cranked her harder than I had any right to many times!

My trusty old Sansui A5 that I bought in 1982. Aside from blowing the dust out of it occasionally it hasn't ben touched.

JVC JR-S401 hasn't been touched since the day it was bought in 1979 and still goes fine.

Unquestionably #1 w/b the Tandberg 1275 receiver (circa 1978) has never been serviced, only flaws/problem are the micro-mini lightbulbs went South about two/three decades ago...

Still one of the best sounding phono sections and overall enjoyment we've experienced: powered the Yamaha NS-1000's until I picked up the pristine CX-1000, MX-1000, TX-1000, etc., Yamaha system in 2010 (for $225.00 with Monster Cables!)...

Cheers!

p.s. Now that I think of it #2 w/b that system: had to replace the drive belt for the door/tray on the CDC-815 CD changer ($9.00 as I recall).

Last edited:
I think I'm seeing at least 4 Carver M400t here that have never been serviced. Can't say that much for mine- it only went 9 years. I was a little rough on it, however.
See a lot of Realistic stuff listed here. My "no fixer" would be a Realistic SA2000 bought new in '76.

Forte 4A and a Forte 6 both have been very reliable. My 2 modified Threshold T-50's both just went in for the first time. The on/off switches on both amps wore out within 2 weeks of each other.

Hmm, I see this is an older thread, but I'm not sure if I posted in it, & I'm too lazy to look through it, LOL. ;) Anyways, for solid state, my Marantz Model 15 was made between 1968 & 1970, & it still runs strong. I'm about 90% sure it's never been serviced, because I opened it & blew out a HECK of a lot of dust. :D

Hmm, I see this is an older thread, but I'm not sure if I posted in it, & I'm too lazy to look through it, LOL. ;) Anyways, for solid state, my Marantz Model 15 was made between 1968 & 1970, & it still runs strong. I'm about 90% sure it's never been serviced, because I opened it & blew out a HECK of a lot of dust. :D

Same here, Marantz Model 15, early serial number from 1968. I don't use it as much as I should. It always sounds great.

My h/k 330c which I bought second hand in 1980. It doesn't get used much anymore, but I had it out earlier today to work out a turntable problem.

My Harman/Kardon 330B, bought new in ´73 - untouched. Also my Marantz Model 26 from ´69, second owner, got it from an old lady along with a pair of AR 4XA. Works fine.

The Swede

Bet the 26 and ARs are a sweet setup. These original Marantz Japanese receivers I liked better than the later 22xx save the 2230. I used the 24 tuner/preamp with a 15 for some time and if I had not gone into the rolll'em camp possibly would have settle on the pair very long term. The 24 was an excellent tuner preamp, especially the preamp section. I long suspected it might have formed the preamp section of the 2230 as they seemed very similar.

Up until a couple months ago it would have been the Pioneer sa900 but some transistors gave up the ghost and I had it repaired. Circa 1970. Now the oldest one here is this Sony ta1130 which is also 1970 unless I am mistaken. Never been serviced that I can tell and plays like a champ.

Other than maybe some basic cleaning, what is the oldest amp / receiver you own (owned) or know someone who owed that just kept on running without any service?

I have a Pioneer SX-1050 (1976) that has never been serviced and it still sounds great. Looks like brand new (I am the second owner)... I doubt the original owner ever had the volume knob above 9 o'clock. It really is a museum piece.

I also own a Sansui AU-317 that has never been serviced, and before last year this time was never cleaned. It is 100% perfect mint and was purchased new by my father in 1978. It sat (unplayed) at my mother's place for the better part of the past 20 years before I took it home with me last Christmas. It not gets played, but certainly taken care of.

Both the Pioneer and Sansui passed Glen's DC Offset test with flying colors, as well.

I am wondering if some of these old beasts were simply built so good and the parts were good enough to last a lifetime (so long as the unit was never abused) without a service call?

Thanks for the input.
My oldest is from 1977. I never service anything (other than deoxit). I just throw the stuff away when it quits working.
HItachi HMI-7500 and HCA-7500.

Sansui 2000 bought new in Japan in '68. Still running on all cylinders in the late 9o's when my wife convinced me to donate it to our daughter's elementary school fund drive. Shoulda' just given them money - I'd love to have it back.

Does my Acoustic 370 bass amp count? Bought new in '77 and still thumping without even a fuse replacement. 35 years of solid satisfaction.

Sansui 2000 bought new in Japan in '68. Still running on all cylinders in the late 9o's when my wife convinced me to donate it to our daughter's elementary school fund drive. Shoulda' just given them money - I'd love to have it back.

Does my Acoustic 370 bass amp count? Bought new in '77 and still thumping without even a fuse replacement. 35 years of solid satisfaction.
Those fund drives are where I get things like perfectly functioning Nakamichi tape decks and 100+ watt 70's receivers for $5 each. It's amazing how low they price that stuff.

During the summer I'm all over the "institution driven" fund-driver sales, like churches.

A Crown D-150A which I purchased second hand in 1980. Owned it for 25 years with flawless performance, at which point it needed some re-capping. $10 later (and a little help from a buddy) it was up an running again. Vintage Crown quality... hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom