6EJ7's vs. 6JC6A

rsumperl

Good morning everyone,
Any reason I should not use a 6JC6A in place of a 6EJ7?

Thanks,
Ray

Attachments

• 6EJ7.pdf
    87.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 6JC6A.pdf
    330.2 KB · Views: 6
Hello,

Question is where you want to use this. Is it just going to be used as a voltage amp or ??

This chart might help some.

http://www.pmillett.com/pentodes.htm

There are differences but nothing too glaring depending on use.

Guess another question is why when 6EJ7's are so cheap ??

Frannie

I've had down right crappy luck with the 6ej7. Three out of five are microphonic. The sylvanias seem to be the most agregious. Maybe the 6jc6's are better. 6eh7 is also a sub, but I haven't tried these.

My understanding is you never want to use a semi-remote cutoff tube in audio service and the 6EH7 is one.

Thanks,
Ray

What uses these and for what purpose? Just asking as its not a tube I've stumbled across before.

Hiya,

Maybe this will help.

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/split.htm

These types of tubes are not used in a equalization or tone type of use typically. They are commonly used to both amplify the signal and "phase invert" the signal for push pull types of amps.

Now yes there are other uses for these and brighter bulbs than me can chime in.

Frannie

My understanding is you never want to use a semi-remote cutoff tube in audio service and the 6EH7 is one.

Thanks,
Ray

Hmm, yes. My mistake. It looks like the 6EH7 has non-uniform spaced grid wires that give it its variable transconductance, or "semi/remote cutoff" characteristics.

Afternoon everyone,
My intention was to use it in place of the 6EJ7 in the DynaMull ST-70 board. The reason I am considering something other than a 6EJ7 is I too heard the 6EJ7 is microphonic.

Ray

Attachments

• DynaMull_Schematic.pdf
    64 KB · Views: 13
Hiya,

I know its the exact sub but have you given either Mullard EF184's or Phillips EF184's a shot. ??

The mesh plates are pretty darn stable I have found.

Frannie

Hiya,

I know its the exact sub but have you given either Mullard EF184's or Phillips EF184's a shot. ??

The mesh plates are pretty darn stable I have found.

Frannie

I couldn't agree more, and some are labelled Amperex. Sylvania had a non-screen variety that was awfully good too.

The 6EJ7s I run are not microphonic.

+1 I have em in my amps and have a handful extra.. non (knock wood) non are microphonic. I use the Made in GB versions, Mullard I think but have various labels but all stamped "Made in Great Britain". The last set I bought were Mullard EF184 - same as 6EJ7 (as mentioned). It's a good sounding tube. I've got mine hooked up triode strapped.

Cheers,
Bob

Hiya,

Straining my brain to remember what type I hated and it came to me.

The ones to avoid are the Swiss Cheese looking grey USA made punch plate's

Maybe fine in a 1968 Zenith Color TV but they have sucked (For Me At Least) almost universally for audio use.

Like this ..

attachment.php

Frannie

Attachments

• 6ej7.jpg
    6ej7.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 39
Hiya,

Straining my brain to remember what type I hated and it came to me.

The ones to avoid are the Swiss Cheese looking grey USA made punch plate's

Maybe fine in a 1968 Zenith Color TV but they have sucked (For Me At Least) almost universally for audio use.

Like this ..

attachment.php

Frannie

Ouch, that poor thing even looks like it would sound bad.:D

Back
Top Bottom