Sony ES - any good?

Nah. Nothing special. ;)

11807954075_6ccc03ae06_b.jpg

Yeah, nothing special. I wasted some money today buying a Sony ES series DAT player, roughly similar to the one in the picture above. Caught my eye for how utterly ugly and plain and cheap it was. Also saw a few Sony ES units in a shop that sells (mostly vintage) ultra-high-end and really rare and esoteric stuff, the kind of dreamy rare stuff that most people only ever see online. The guy was demo-ing a Sony ES series CD player that weighed more and was bigger than the Yamaha GT-CD1 sitting near it. Had a big metal case with inner damping, copper plates, thick machined-metal corner sections, etc... I can't imagine for the life of me what such rubbish as lowly Sony ES stuff was doing in a shop like that. Maybe the reverse of slumming?

Okay, obviously I'm being sarcastic. Not all ES stuff was created equal, but at least the best of it was truly GOOD stuff! If what you saw in the thrift shop was like what is in the picture above, and it was at "thrift shop prices", you should go straight back there and get it. If it wasn't at that level, or the prices weren't all that attractive, then look up the model numbers before making a final decision, but the odds are decent that it will be well worth getting.

ES = Elevated Standard. Sony's name for its better-than-average line, similar to Pioneer Elite or Onkyo Integra (before that became a whole brand of its own).

Happy trails,
Larry B.

BPC = Black Plastic Crap. I'm not sure it applies to any of the ES line, but others more knowledge here seem to prefer the early stuff.

While BPC might be a little too strong, the ES tag was put on some gear that really didn't deserve it, IMO.
I had an ES CD player in truck that was from about 2000-ish. Nothing ES about it. In fact the BOTL Sony that it replaced, that was a few years older, was a better unit.

If I saw wood paneled ES gear at thrift prices, I'd buy it, though. That's why I have an ES cassette deck right now, even though I don't really use tape anymore.:D

Those that know me, know that I love the stuff. A CDP-X55ES was my first ES piece in 1990 and basically started collecting since then. I have since sold off all my gear, but wouldn't mind getting it back, especially my reference system, the one that is posted by the OP. Here is another shot of it below. ;)

Stack shot from the archives by mastercontrolmedia, on Flickr

God, I wish that a stack like that was in my local thrift shop... I love my ES stuff. Built like the proverbial brick sh*t house.

That's an impressive stack of gear vincel. :thmbsp: Even if it didn't work its a beautiful work of art just in the design and would look great in anyones room.

Ok, now I'm drooling.

Last edited:
I have 3x Sony ES changers that I just love, sadly no wood sides on my 2x C75ES and a C67ES.

if I could get that ES stack i'd be pretty dang happy indeed.

es sony

Just found this yesturday at value village. $10, and everything works!!!:music::music:

Last edited:
Well I went back and grabbed some model numbers; 55ES power amp, N80ES power amp, N220 multi-channel power amp, E2000ESD signal processor. Upon closer inspection none of them were in great shape and a no refund policy, only store credit. Apparently they've been 'checked out' but after a little prodding my guess is if the lights came on they were classified as working. They wanted $600 for the N80 and $300 for each of the others. I got one of those gut feelings to not even consider them regardless of price. I'm willing to gamble 50 bucks but not hundreds.

I own all of those units.....they were top of the line back in the day are are still regarded as great units.
The 80ES power amp is excellent.....
That is alot of money to gamble to see if all the gear works......you probably are making the right choice.......

I've got a CDP-508ESD that I bought new nearly 25 years ago. Looks as good as the day I bought it. Love it and have never had a moments trouble with. The early ES stuff is built like a tank!

Well I went back and grabbed some model numbers; 55ES power amp, N80ES power amp, N220 multi-channel power amp, E2000ESD signal processor. Upon closer inspection none of them were in great shape and a no refund policy, only store credit. Apparently they've been 'checked out' but after a little prodding my guess is if the lights came on they were classified as working. They wanted $600 for the N80 and $300 for each of the others. I got one of those gut feelings to not even consider them regardless of price. I'm willing to gamble 50 bucks but not hundreds.

Those prices are high, IMO. But prices have been rising lately, at least for the N80ES. Used to be cosmetically so-so examples went for $300 or so on ebay. Now those pieces are going for $450 or so. And mint condition units are in the $800 range.

The N55ES is also a good amp. I don't know a lot about the other two but I wouldn't consider them to be super desireable, and certainly not worth $300.

i want to buy a old but high quality power amplifier ,either pioneer m 90a or sony ta n80es,which one IS better???any suggestion?

I have the CDP-XA50ES bought new when it first came out. Terrific CD player with the most marvelous built quality I have ever seen in a player and of course great sound to go with it. I've been looking around for a CD player for my second system but nothing seems to come close in terms of looks and feel, so I may need to go for a second ES deck. Maybe this time a black one for a change.
The TA-FA50ES amp that I have is also georgeous, and in terms of sound quality it is only bettered by my Accuphase E305 (which reveals even more details, has cleaner bass and also a wider and more defined soundstage).

Back
Top Bottom