New tube Friday...

richamor

amateur house husband
or baby gets a new pair of shoes. Winged C shoes:yes:

DSC02713.jpg
DSC02714.jpg

And for the fun part, bias and balance. Just letting it idle right now checking that the balance stays steady. and it does:D
This is the only thing I don't like about this amp. Having to turn it on it's head to check this.

DSC02710.jpg

Wife lets me do this in the kitchen as long as she's not at home:D

I've had these for a while and had one go redplate on me so I took them out. Fortunately I had a spare pair, so in they go. I'd forgotten how sweet they sound.

Have a quad of RCA's on the driver board. This is what those LSA1's were looking for.

Those Russian's aren't that bad really, at least once they break in. They skimp a little on the highs but make up for it on the bottom. I think I paid around 35- 40 bucks for the 4 delivered. Killer tubes for the price.

The Winged C EL34s make me want to cry when I hear them. I'm not ashamed to admit it. ;)

rich how far back did you purchase those Winged =C=? Are those pre-2000s?

You need to make some bias adaptors. So much easier then flipping the amp around.

One thing is for sure. If you don't have the dough for Mullard EL34 (non-RI) then the Winged =C= is the next best substitute.

The Winged C 6550s are the best sounding power tubes I've heard in my Cary SLI 80. Unfortunately, the big "rip off" has begun now that the SED factory has closed. Folks are asking $100/ea.

I like some winged C's too, and they are still obtainable. This makes me glad my bias pots and meter ports are up top on my 70. Maybe you could move them Rich?

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, that is Geek's Classic Valve boards in there, the Dynamull driver board using 6EJ7's and his cap board with bias pots. I had that cap/bias board and ran wires from the board to pots on top (had to drill holes for them).

Hard part can be finding the right pots. True linear seem to be fairly difficult to come by. I ended up going with some Fender 50K when I changed out from those nasty little trim pots on the driver board that you had to poke a screwdriver thru a hole and hope you hit ...

wiring-done-003.jpg

And what I got on top ...

bias-pots-top.jpg

skizo, that is one beautiful amp. Looks as good under the hood as on top.

And you're right rustnrot, that is most certainly Classic Audio boards you see. Without Mr. van der Sluy's help it would never have seen the light of day again. An audio saint in my mind.

And actually, I have in my mind the thought of a completely separate power supply board chassis. With the OT, PS board, and recifier tube on one chassis and leave the output tubes and trannies on the other. I plan to upgrade the power trans over the summer anyway.

skizo, that is one beautiful amp. Looks as good under the hood as on top.

And you're right rustnrot, that is most certainly Classic Audio boards you see. Without Mr. van der Sluy's help it would never have seen the light of day again. An audio saint in my mind.

And actually, I have in my mind the thought of a completely separate power supply board chassis. With the OT, PS board, and recifier tube on one chassis and leave the output tubes and trannies on the other. I plan to upgrade the power trans over the summer anyway.

This is a good approach IMO, just make sure to leave some capacitance on the amp chassis for some fast power that doesn't have to make the trip through your umbilical cord. A choke is good too if you have room.

Back
Top Bottom