What's my new/old Pioneer amp worth?

juptonstone

Member at Large...
I recently sent my SA-9100 to Wargo Electronics for repair and a recap. Well, the repair turned out to be FAR more extensive than anyone could have anticipated. As of now, the amp has, all new output transistors; every single component (resistor, diode, transistor, etc) in the power supply has been replaced; all of the caps in the amp have been replaced and a large number of other components as well.

The bottom line is that once I get the amp back, it will be (for all intents and purposes) brand new. It will also be without any of the problems typical of older Pioneers, as everything has been changed out to better quality components.

This however leaves me with a question... What is the amp worth? Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea,check the Auction site that shall not be named.
This will definitely be moved to Dollars and Sense forum I suspect.
:)

Burneyreid... I have looked everywhere including AK's completed sales and I have found numerous SA-9100s, but never one that has been totally rebuilt. An untouched 9100 in good operating condition with the optional wood case runs between $400 and $500. Figure that a full recap is a $400 job, but I have no idea what the cost of this job would have been, because John Wargo gave me a price, and has done all of the additional work at no cost to me! Yes I would recommend him unconditionally.

Anyway how would you price it? Take the original MSRP and translate that into 2015 dollars? Any advice is appreciated.

I think when you put that money in it you might not get it back in dollars and cents but you will in the listening pleasure :thmbsp:;)

not sure you would have received all the extra work for free if it was known this was for a flip...

Well, you said extensive. Not expensive. You now own a piece that will outlive you, probably. Forget what the monetary value is, it will bring you musical contentment for as long as it is in your possession. I have 1500 into my 850 and 1010 and I don't fret about it much. It's called pride of ownership and being grateful there are folks who can still fix this stuff.

Agree with parman you will not get back what you put into it. Not even half.
You will be lucky if you get 200$ over the higher price for stock unit in comparable cosmetic shape.

I'd have to agree with most replies here.
I pretty much had my Sansui 9090 redone that way too and I accept that it will stay with me for a while but I'm like you...not sure of it's value either.

I think we'd be lucky to get 300-500 bucks if/when we try to sell.

From my experience of watching the Central Florida resale market for a bunch of years, you are looking at the 375.00 to 425.00 range. Maybe 450.00 if someone was looking to recapture their youth.

Most people's eyes would glaze over and not have a clue as to the value (let alone the cost) of owning a rebuilt SA 9100. You are privileged to know both and to own one that, as has been said, possibly last a lifetime.

Enjoy it and let your heirs worry about what it is worth.

You assume wrong if you think I'm flipping the amp

not sure you would have received all the extra work for free if it was known this was for a flip...

It's not for a flip.. I intend to keep the amp. But I am listing my stereo system under my insurance policy and it would be helpful to have some idea of what it is worth. So before you ASSUME the worst, try asking... I spent a long time trying to get that specific amp, and I live on a very tight budget, so be civil please..

As I kept reading the posts, I have to ask why so many people are judgemental? You do not know me but assume that I have the worst intentions. The fact is, I offered to reimburse John Watgo and he refused... He's a real pro.. I sweated to get that amp.., I intend to keep that amp...
Regards Jeff

Last edited:
You asked if we could determine value should you decide to sell or trade it. Assigning value via an insurance policy leads to a different determination. Since you wish to insure it, that will make the estimated value higher because replacement costs are always more, especially due to the vast improvements in your unit.

I did not mean to imply all of you jumped the gun, and I apologize if my response seemed that way. There were a few that were very judgemental though.. So accept my apologies, but the comment stands for those who were.

As to the value, part of it is for me and the other part is for insurance. I want to get an appraiser but those guys don't know everything and this amp has been particularly hard to pin down. Mi do know this though, I cant wait to get it back. I only had it for two days before it blew, so it will be a real joy to hear it the way it should sound.

Enough with the snarky responses. If you don't know what his amp is worth and aren't willing to participate in a helpful way, don't post.

To replace using insurance is the bottom line question then.
I'd factor in the typical cost of a unit that is in the same condition as yours, the cost of what you have into it, and the cost of an intermediary to present your case to the insurer.

So accept my apologies, but the comment stands for those who were.

As to the value, part of it is for me and the other part is for insurance. I want to get an appraiser but those guys don't know everything and this amp has been particularly hard to pin down. Mi do know this though, I cant wait to get it back. I only had it for two days before it blew, so it will be a real joy to hear it the way it should sound.

Don't take it personally...some people here always make assumptions they shouldn't.

You will have a hard time getting a realistic appraisal on a vintage piece of gear because most people don't have a clue. Best thing you can do is watch eBay, Audiogon, and US Audiomart and make copies for your records. And hope you never have to make that claim because you won't get your money back.

Back
Top Bottom