Beryllium in speakers, is it safe?

kl122002

I just come across a news, promoting a pair of new expensive speaker is using beryllium for their tweeters. But beryllium is know for its toxicity, is that safe to use?

Beryllium is indeed very toxic and also fairly fragile. As a consumer, it is not an issue buying a speaker with a beryllium tweeter and having it in your home; however, it is a manageable danger to the manufacturing workers producing the product, just like any other hazardous material.

If you knew what went into the MDF/OSB/plywood construction of your residence, you wouldn't worry about beryllium tweeters.

I have beryllium tweeters and it's worth the risk. :thmbsp:

Bose speakers on the other hand are made from Bosium. Bosium a rare and toxic substance that rots the brain of the listener.

Bose speakers on the other hand are made from Bosium. Bosium a rare and toxic substance that rots the brain of the listener.

Another one of these poor guys, I wonder what rotted his brain. Maybe he smelled too much T Stoff down there.

Last edited:
I'd be more worried about the stuff in my headphones.

That said, I hear the outgassing from foam wall insulation and radon counteract beryllium, bosium, AND dilithium emissions.

Pass it on ...

Another one of these poor guys, I wonder what rotted his brain. Maybe he smelled too much T Stoff down there.

Wow. Do you mean 80% Hydrogen peroxide, or concentrated methylbenzyl bromide? Either way it would be no wonder that something would have gotten rotted.

Beryllium is only dangerous when inhaled as a dust or if you manage to get it into your bloodstream some other way. So if you smoke that stuff make darn sure that you don't inhale. I spent a lot of years etching beryllium copper and so far haven't noticed any bad side effects. Of course I was pretty careful not to let any acid get into my bloodstream. :D

My Speakerlab's had beryllium cobalt leaf tweeters for about 30 years or so before I changed them out and the only bad side effect that I've noticed is a slight permanent ringing in my ears.:music:

Cheers,
James

BOSIUM is great stuff. It has fantastic inertial dampening properties.

Unfortunately when used in speaker drivers this equates to a dynamic range thinner than a fashion model on a hunger strike.

I would be more concerned being in a closed up "Man Room" with my friends watching the Super Bowel with large tureens of bean dip, pizza, Buffalo wings, and beer.

20040405005736.jpg

The tweeters in my KRK Expose monitors contain a beryllium/aluminium alloy. I'm fairly certain that the manufacturer gives explicit warnings in the owner's literature that the tweeters are not to be touched unless protective gloves are being worn.

They do carry some risk. Sound awesome though. It is very much worth it. :thmbsp:

Beryllium is only dangerous when inhaled as a dust or if you manage to get it into your bloodstream some other way.

I should consider myself lucky ... Spent some years in a Naval shipyard, so my lungs are already full of asbestos and lead paint ...

... no room for beryllium!! :banana:

Regarding some of the drivers in Yamaha NS-1000 series made from Beryllium:

If input power handling is exceeded, or the dome is defective, the dome can crack or shatter into pieces. If this happens, it is possible for beryllium metal particles to be released into the air. Beryllium particles in the lungs and body are toxic and carcinogenic. Do not inhale anything from the dome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS-2000

BTW, my DIY speakers have midrange domes from those Yamaha monitors, and so far so good!

I was just wonderin if you got one of those ole time photo's done.The wife and I got one a while ago.

Please pardon my smartass reply.

It's a photo of Uncle Billy-- General William Tecumseh Sherman, the man who led the armies of the Midwest in their crushing of the Southern Rebellion of 1861-65.

He was quite the character.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom