2015 -- Secret Santa Delivers - The "What'd ya get?" thread

Lots of people don't come looking for this thread until they open their gift...

...on Christmas Day! (Can you believe it?)

Lots of people. Not me, but, lots of people.

I know. That is just crazy. On top of that, I heard a rumor that you hate, no, totally despise waiting. :rflmao:

My Secret Santa sent me U.S. Mint, S Proof Sets 1971 & 2000. Pretty cool as it reminds me when we where kids. I had grand parents that would give me, silver bars (Christmas Bars) and coin sets at Christmas. Anyone else have someone in their family that did that?

In fact one of my grand fathers whenever he would come over he would pull me aside, as I was the only boy out of 4 siblings. He would pull 5 silver dollars out of his pocket and hand them to me, and say, "Don't tell anyone":)

I was born in 1961 and this was happening in the late 60s and early to mid 70s. While silver dollar where still a dollar but they were not in circulation much as they pulled silver from the currency in 1964. Anyway he had to plan on giving me those coins prior to leaving his house each trip, and had to have them stashed at home.

I think his generation knew the value of the coinage and the removal of silver from the currency. He just wanted me to have some silver that he put aside.

Well needless to say, I would run to the store as fast as I could and buy a ton of candy and anything else I could get my hands on....:D

View attachment 663789 View attachment 663790 View attachment 663791 View attachment 663792 View attachment 663793 View attachment 663794

Not to stray too far off topic, but I remember the day I broke into my piggy bank and took out a handful of 1920's silver dollars. Spent them on a squirtgun that my Dad summarily broke over his knee and hung on my wall.

Not to stray too far off topic, but I remember the day I broke into my piggy bank and took out a handful of 1920's silver dollars. Spent them on a squirtgun that my Dad summarily broke over his knee and hung on my wall.
LOL
See you and me are alike and so are our Dads, mine would do that very thing and I can see it vividly.

I remember one time, you know those adds 10, 8 track taps for a penny? Well I had the penny...:D

Fast forwards to when the bills started coming in...
Anyway he made me pack up all the tapes, oh and it came with a really cool photo book on Led Zeppelin. Well I really didn't pack up all the tapes, I put blank tapes in the factory cases, and that book had so many holes he must has saved a bunch on shipping.

Well, after a very busy Christmas Eve and Christmas, I opened my Secret Santa gift - a very nice pair of Direct-to-Disc recordings of Henry Gray and Pinetop Perkins, both on APO Quality Record Pressings. Plus a nice Christmas card of my favorites Snoopy and Woodstock. Can't wait to get them on the turntable (the records, not Snoopy and Woodstock).

Thanks a bunch Santa Grumpy!

Last edited:
Cool records! I have all the early issues from the APO Blue Heaven studio series. Your Secret Santa, (who is not Grumpy, btw) has good taste in music.

Reading your post has me digging out my copies, to play, this morning. Enjoy!

Hmm, his was the return address, of course, they could have been ordered from Grumpy acting as the Elf middleman. Whomever it was, its a very nice gift.

Now I started looking at the new repressings of many classic record albums at Acoustical Sounds. The Verve re-issues really have my eye and pocketbook.

LP size present under the tree turned out to be a Black Lab 2016 calendar....probably her {avatar} idea?

Opened mine yesterday. My SS did some research as I received a jazz album by Lee Konitz and Warne Marsh and a blues album by Little Walter! Sweet, just what I needed to help build my fledgling album collection. Thanks Secret Santa and thanks Ernie for organizing this!

I never got mine-But I've been an EXTREMELY Nasty Bastard this year, far exceeding my Normal amount of muleheadedness, & downright Contrariness. One thing that HAS bothered me, I got $50 from the credit union we use, drove STRAIGHT HOME, didn't stop ANYWHERE, & when I got home, the $50 was NOWHERE to be found. I even tore LA's car apart looking for it, no soap.... WHERE DO THNGS GO When they GET Lost like that ? I'd give my Left you-know-What to be able to find that wondrous place..

Back
Top Bottom