Listening: ST-70 & Khorns

musichal

poet emeritus
I've already posted pics of my recently-acquired amp and speakers. The amp arrived a couple days ago, and I've yet to turn it off. It is well-warmed. Picked up the horns about two weeks ago. Was using an emotiva flex amp, an okay affordable ss unit which sounded good. But this is a big step up.

This particular ST-70 only has two parts that actually came from a dynaco, the OPTs. Chassis, faceplate, power tranny, caps, etc. are all brand new. The 6EJ7s are connected triode rather than pentode. It also uses a pair 6GU7s and the usual four EL34s. Bias is set independently instead of in pairs. Dynamull driver board by Classic Valve Design. Beefier tranny, and greater capacitance than original. SS rectification. Khorns are stock, but I may do the Crites thing before long.

I had wondered how bass extension would be, but when I played Fagen's title cut, Morph the Cat, I was surprised at the depth, if a tad soft and 'roundy' - sounds great. Voices so lifelike, sparkly highs. Not that it's perfect (what is?), but it is the best sounding system I've ever owned. Imaging is not the Khorn's forte, imo, and certainly not in my room or seat, but dynamics are pretty much unassailable, and the FR the same, to my ear.

No, it isn't perfect, nor even the best I've heard, but it comes plenty close enough for me. I don't see myself returning to solid state in the main ssystem. I love this combination.

Last edited:
Good to hear. I went with the JJ KT-77's and for the low price I am very happy with them. Plenty of low end and no flabby bass until cranked really high. ManI wish I had some horns!

I should also add that the amp builder, rustnrot, has treated me as though I were the original buyer, responding to all my questions, and to several I didn't know to ask. The amp is quiet on my Khorns, too, I'm happy to note. "With your ear right up to the tweeter, you can just hear a delicate shush," says the wife. (I can't bend enough to get my ear that close, so I take her word for it.) Anyway, the kind gentleman built a fine amp, with exemplary fit n' finish and sound, and treats his customers as we wish all businesses would. Must be a labor of love for him. Kudos to him!

If you like the ST-70, try some single ended toob goodness on the Khorns. IMO, it will be the same sort of step up you just took. I run mine on 2 watts of SET/globe 45 power and I couldn't be happier.....

If you like the ST-70, try some single ended toob goodness on the Khorns. IMO, it will be the same sort of step up you just took. I run mine on 2 watts of SET/globe 45 power and I couldn't be happier.....

Perhaps you can guess that I'm enjoying this combo too much to consider changing anytime soon. Not sayin' I wouldn't try one if it fell in my lap right, but I first must rebuild the audio kitty. I made myself a new rule - when it drops to a kilobuck, it's time to go back to save mode. That way, when I do change something I can make sure it IS up, not sideways.

Try to find some RFT (Siemens) NOS or for more $$$ Mullard el34's and don't look back. Well worth the extra money.

Bugle Boys any good? (as if)

Mullard Reissues for me.

I don't know of Bugle Boy el34's, but generally great tubes. I have the Mullard reissues, very nice new tube, they were my first decent tubes in my ST70. Depending on your amp you can get matched pairs or a quad for not a lot of money.

I still run the 7199 driver tubes, I tried the adapters to use the 6GHA8 driver tube and went right back to NOS Sylvania 7199's. Dynaco chose the Sylvania 7199 for the driver tubes for the original ST70 as it was supposedly quieter than the RCA version.

hope you are right about the mullard reissues cause I just bought a quad of EL84s for $62 on the bay based on what you guys said.

Hal,
I have to say, I was entertaining make a bid on that amp (more curiosity than actual need). Seeing how your enjoying that set up so much, I almost feel guilty about trying to buy that. It has a much better home with you. I'm glad its with you and not me and that you're enjoying so much! Congrats!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::beerchug::biggrin:

Hal,
I have to say, I was entertaining make a bid on that amp (more curiosity than actual need). Seeing how your enjoying that set up so much, I almost feel guilty about trying to buy that. It has a much better home with you. I'm glad its with you and not me and that you're enjoying so much! Congrats!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::beerchug::biggrin:

Cast not thy covetous eyes upon mine amp! :p:no:

Looking at your sig, I think you just might get by without it.:jump:

Back
Top Bottom