heard a serious system today

I say, people should get out more often and checkout the new gear that is out there, give a listen to and ignore the price tag. Yes, little improvements to cables, power chords, can change a system. A helpful/knowledgeable/experienced person is their weight in gold, many times over.

Axpona was recently held in Chicago, where dozens of high end systems were demonstrated. Here's a writeup of the event by David Robinson of Positive Feedback. He raves about many of them, which might lead some to conclude that he is a reviewer who doesn't write negative reviews. However what I feel it illustrates is that there is LOT of really great sounding gear out there. Not everything expensive sounds great, but most of them do. The quality of much of today's mid-to-high end gear is extremely high.

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/impressions-axpona-2016-audio-oasis-awards-part-1/

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/impressions-axpona-2016-audio-oasis-awards-part-2/

Last edited:
Would love to go to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest someday and see some really high end rigs demoed ... every year it's just another excuse on why I can't make it :(

Remains on my bucket list. :thumbsup:

Would love to go to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest someday and see some really high end rigs demoed ... every year it's just another excuse on why I can't make it :(

For several years now my intention to go to RMAF has been frustrated, but I finally made it this year. My objectives were to see what the state of the industry is now with respect to sound quality, and to put my own system in context. I've read a lot of AKers post about how technology marches on, and how it simply wasn't possible for older to sound as good, etc., and I wanted to see if the bar has been raised since my last spell in this hobby, from '76 to '82 or so.

My conclusion is that the bar has not been raised much, if at all. However, a LOT more systems are clearing the bar. I heard room after room of solid, three-dimensional sound, with faithful and/or pleasant tonality, along with a few relative stinkers, of course. ;)

My curiosity has been satisfied now. :music:

The more things change,the more they stay the same!
I wish I had the same ears I had years ago so I could really discern any real differences between now and then,oh ya and more dollars which it seems I would now need:)

View attachment 713314
Forgive the crappy cell phone pic - I know that Dali Rubicon 8's are not as misshapen as they appear in this picture. The place? Ember Audio - Video / Gallery, located in the arts district of Winston-Salem NC, and reputed to be the only boutique audio store in the state. I stopped by here a couple of weeks ago, after finding out it was located only a few minutes away from my work. What was nice about the experience was to be able to actually listen to some of the equipment that I read about on AK.

At the heart of this system was an Octave V110 driving the Dali's. I had forgotten what brand the CDP was; however the short time that I spent there allowed me to listen to a few tracks from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and be transported to a different realm. The tube sound? Luscious. The soundstage? Amazing. The price of all this stuff? To be honest, I didn't check any prices until after I got home.

The bottom line? Although listening to this system was a choice experience, I'm not ready to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house yet. I'm still happy with the small living room system that I've been able to build for minimal cost, and will continue to make improvements as time and finances will allow. When I'm ready to take that plunge, I'll know exactly where to go.
Sad to see that they are closing their doors on Nov 1st

For several years now my intention to go to RMAF has been frustrated, but I finally made it this year. My objectives were to see what the state of the industry is now with respect to sound quality, and to put my own system in context. I've read a lot of AKers post about how technology marches on, and how it simply wasn't possible for older to sound as good, etc., and I wanted to see if the bar has been raised since my last spell in this hobby, from '76 to '82 or so.

My conclusion is that the bar has not been raised much, if at all. However, a LOT more systems are clearing the bar. I heard room after room of solid, three-dimensional sound, with faithful and/or pleasant tonality, along with a few relative stinkers, of course. ;)

My curiosity has been satisfied now. :music:
It was my second year going to the RMAF and I also enjoy seeing the technological advances in stereo systems. I like seeing all the amazing things that I can't afford . In the last year they were really trying to put some affordable systems together for more people to enjoy and afford . If $1500 or 2k is in the budget. I will agree some systems sounded great to me where as others did not at least to my ears. I like the looks they give me when I ask if I can hear some real people singing or a good drum solo. They proceed by playing elevator music if that's your thing. I usually have to detox on my inexpensive system consisting of my first JVC receiver and Advent 1 speakers. I will admit I'm going again this year. Lol.

I frequent my local dealer who's 'A' Room is always impressive. It typically exceeds the six figure mark quite easily but I'm never dissatisfied with my own system when I come home. Truthfully even if I had the means I'm pretty certain I wouldn't spend that much. I'd probably improve my current stack with a new pre/ power pair but I don't feel compelled to do anything. It's been a long journey and I've learned a lot about synergy among the components.
I get to experience the same thing at a new audio dealer here in the SD area.

He's a jazz fan, and so am I - I've gone down to the store several times just to listen to music.

This has afforded me the opportunity to listen to some top end gear - and the sound is amazing.

What I come away with is perspective; what a system can sound like - as a type of benchmark or perspective.

I get home and listen to my rig and have to confess that it's not close - it's still good and I remain content.

But it's the perspective and the experience of 'getting ears on' different gear.

Kinda like if the only beef you've had is hamburger and you claim hamburger is great and all you EVER need. Until you've had that perfectly seared prime rib eye steak, your perspective is incomplete.

The Guarneri sats right?

I'm hoping to hear those at Axpona this year but didn't see the Guarneri's last year.

Last edited:
View attachment 713314
Forgive the crappy cell phone pic - I know that Dali Rubicon 8's are not as misshapen as they appear in this picture. The place? Ember Audio - Video / Gallery, located in the arts district of Winston-Salem NC, and reputed to be the only boutique audio store in the state. I stopped by here a couple of weeks ago, after finding out it was located only a few minutes away from my work. What was nice about the experience was to be able to actually listen to some of the equipment that I read about on AK.

At the heart of this system was an Octave V110 driving the Dali's. I had forgotten what brand the CDP was; however the short time that I spent there allowed me to listen to a few tracks from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and be transported to a different realm. The tube sound? Luscious. The soundstage? Amazing. The price of all this stuff? To be honest, I didn't check any prices until after I got home.

The bottom line? Although listening to this system was a choice experience, I'm not ready to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house yet. I'm still happy with the small living room system that I've been able to build for minimal cost, and will continue to make improvements as time and finances will allow. When I'm ready to take that plunge, I'll know exactly where to go.

What's amazing the Sonus Faber's in the used marketplace are sometimes 1/2 the price of original list!

These are the most beautiful speakers that I have seen, amazing craftsmanship.

Must be the Italian in me...

In the late 70's I went to a little audio boutique where you had to knock and the guy would let you in, he was a lovely man and didn't care if you bought something or not, he ate, drank and slept HiFi. I spotted Quad ESL's, high end tube amps, Linn LP12 etc, he had everything. He asked me what kind of music I like, modern, rock and roll etc. He pulled out a Leo Sayer album, I knew this album and it wasn't on the top of my quality list, the system was Janszen Z-40's ESL hybrids, big Harman Kardon Citation power and pre amps, Yamaha YP-D8, Denon DL-103s with Denon step up transformer. Hmmm I thought the speakers and amp would be great, the TT? But he said the Yammie brought out the best in the "new" Denon moving coils and he found this system had the best synergy.

The sound that filled that room gave me goose bumps, never heard anything like it before, had been to many HiFi showrooms, nothing compared to this, this was my dream system for many years. For that time period there probably wasn't much better around, and the cost in today's dollars would be around $40,000.00.

In the late 70's I went to a little audio boutique where you had to knock and the guy would let you in, he was a lovely man and didn't care if you bought something or not, he ate, drank and slept HiFi. I spotted Quad ESL's, high end tube amps, Linn LP12 etc, he had everything. He asked me what kind of music I like, modern, rock and roll etc. He pulled out a Leo Sayer album, I knew this album and it wasn't on the top of my quality list, the system was Janszen Z-40's ESL hybrids, big Harman Kardon Citation power and pre amps, Yamaha YP-D8, Denon DL-103s with Denon step up transformer. Hmmm I thought the speakers and amp would be great, the TT? But he said the Yammie brought out the best in the "new" Denon moving coils and he found this system had the best synergy.

The sound that filled that room gave me goose bumps, never heard anything like it before, had been to many HiFi showrooms, nothing compared to this, this was my dream system for many years. For that time period there probably wasn't much better around, and the cost in today's dollars would be around $40,000.00.

A little less than 9 years ago the GT 2000 surprise me. It was my third consecutive Yamaha turntable but that couldn't prepare me for the beauty of the GT's presentation. 9 years down the track, and I'm more impressed with it than ever.

Not everyone wants State Of The Art sound. So let's get rid of those who don't first. If you are happy with what you have, no matter what you have: GOD bless you. Happiness comes from within. Not from a sound system. A trillionaire may not be happy with the world at his feet and all possible advantage coming exactly when and how he needs it. Whilst a begging mendicant monk may be the possessor of the highest bliss possible despite all possible difficulty and all possible opposition being faced. Happiness does not respect outward circumstance. So let's divorce the following from all those who might say "I'm happy with my ________ ". There does exist strata of sound quality and truly obscenely great sound quality matters to some people because it is a priority to them. They value the qualities that incredible reproduction of recorded sound brings to them and are prepared to learn what it is, how to attain it and what factors mitigate against it. One of the thing they learn is:

High price is no guarantee of great sound. Getting off your listening chair and listening in person to some high priced systems is a very educational lesson.

What money cannot buy is the ability to optimise what has not been optimised, the ability to determine what needs to be optimised and the insight into the competing offerings on the market to seek out what might be able to optimise the sound. What is between a set of ears determines whether a system succeeds or fails. Not the fullness of the wallet. Having said that, aside from the second hand market, diy, and miracle purchases - State Of The Art sound for a complete system will rarely be available for a week's salary at the minimum wage. First if one wants either SOTA sound or somethings approaching it, one needs to have heard it or something approaching it. Experience. That intangible stuff between the ears that money can buy, but in the absence of unlimited cash reserves, can also be obtained by persistent searching. Second, in the absence of unlimited cash reserves to allow one to buy and sell everything to get that first hand knowledge, the understanding of the concepts which underpin great sounding equipment and underpin the assembling of great sounding systems.

Lack of understanding the concepts which underpin great sounding equipment often leads to leaping upon misguided trends which can sweep the media and the public. There are a mountain of concepts which need to be understood which underpin great sound. Many do not wish to take the time to investigate them. Lack of understanding the concepts leaves one vulnerable to falling victim to opinion, fashion, marketing or lies. Opinion, fashion and marketing needn't be misleading. They may be in particular times and circumstances, correct. There are however plenty of lies. Along with misguided opinion, fashion and marketing. This is why conceptual understanding of what underpins great sound can enable one to navigate through the maze of opinion, fashion, marketing and lies. In order to discern which are valuable and which are dead ends. An open-mind is required. Time spent investigating and researching is also required. One may be seeking the 'voice in the wilderness'. Most truly great sounding equipment sounded great because the manufacturer grasped something that other manufacturers had either overlooked or didn't consider sufficiently. Mavericks can be a blessing in Audio. Persistent sifting of concepts will be necessary.

Lack of understanding the concepts which underpin the assembling of great sounding systems leads to a revolving door of adequate but not great resulting systems. Here the danger becomes one of having acquired magnificent components which do not work well together or which are being utilised in such a manner as to fail to attain the greatness that they are truly able to ascend to when utilised by one with the requisite understanding. A trap which many dealers and purchasers fall into. They have either Golden components which fail to make Golden systems or they have Golden systems and fail to have The Golden Touch to bring the best out of the Golden system.

The most valuable thing that a seeker after spectacular sound quality can possess, after unlimited cash reserves, is experience. Too many lack both. Most who had unlimited cash reserves would never be called upon to expend them in the search, if they had a similar fund of the necessary experience.

Beautifully written! You managed to capture what is Truth, not only as it relates to the addiction that many of us share, but also Life Itself. If I were in college again, hell, I could have "borrowed" your response and used it as the backbone of political, religious... well you get the gist.... I have to add that as a "newbie", albeit one who has long repressed the 'Need for Sound', you guys on this thread seem to be Tools of the most interesting kind.:beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom