Infinity Kappa 7 with Sansui 9090db

I am currently using a Sansui 9090db in my main setup. Today, I picked up a pair of Infinity Kappa 7 speakers for $40 at an estate sale. They look really clean and cared-for. The foam looked good, but when I turned it up a bit I noticed that the surrounds need replaced. I have new foams on the way.

Anyway, I do not know much about these speakers and after some googling learned that these are power (or current) hungry speakers. I saw mixed opinions on whether the 9090db can handle these speakers. I would like to hear from more knowledgeable /experienced people about how safe it is to use the 9090db to run these speakers. What restrictions should I put on my listening and what should I look out for?

The other receivers I have around the house are a Pioneer SX-780 and a Toshiba SA-775, but I'm guessing that the Sansui will be my best bet.

Buy a dedicated amplifier as receivers, even TOTL units are not ideal for pushing hard loads! I reccommend parasound!

Yeah, sweet deal. Is the main concern for 4 ohm speakers the extra heat dissipation? Would it help to have a small fan on the heat sinks or is there something else to be concerned about?

I wasn't necessarily in the market for new speakers when I bought these, but the deal seemed too sweet to pass. I have been using a pair of Boston Acoustics A150s with the Sansui and I really like the setup. It seems that the Infinity Kappas should be a significant improvement if I pair it with an appropriate amp. I have someone interested in the A150s and I think the Sansui would not be difficult to sell. What would you do -- sell off the A150s and the Sansui to invest in a new amp and preamp to use the Kappas, or try to sell the Kappas? I'm still new to audio, so I like to try new things, but I don't want to regret selling my Sansui.

keep sansui and sell a150! you can use sansui as preamp. Id also sell the sx-780 which sell for stupid money for what they are! I think you could get 300+ for both speakers and receiver which would fund amp purchase. 9090 will keep appreciating in value as its a TOTL Sansui. Id also keep that toshiba as they are nice units that dont sell for much!

Nice, $40! That's great. Most of the big infinity speakers need an amp. Plenty will come along in bartertown, including my Adcoms I am about to let go.

Buy a dedicated amplifier as receivers, even TOTL units are not ideal for pushing hard loads!

Why? I'm not being cynical or critical, just wondering why you (and many, many others) think this. I've been hearing this claim since the early 1970s, but I've yet to see any research whatsoever that actually validates this claim. Can you specify anything that would make a free-standing TOTL power amp, say Pioneer, superior to the same amp design enclosed in a TOTL receiver? I'm not talking about so-and-so's opinion, but for actual, documented research.

GeeDeeEmm

That 9090 was built when they were still making power amps to out do the competition.I do not remember how clean it is but I do remember it is a powerhouse.

Kappas are known to be clean and certainly worth refoam

I had a totally restored 9090 matched with a pair of Celestion Ditton 66s, and I never got to hear what those speakers were capable of. The problem is that although the Sansui is a great amp, it isn't ideal for speakers that like lots of current, like the Ditton 66s or the Kappas. I've never found Sansuis to be high current, although I haven't had bad results with some of their older integrated amps and receivers. I would recommend a high current power amp if you really want to hear what the Kappa's are capable of. I like big honking Speakers and I gave up on trying with low current amps. There is just such a big difference in how they sound when you give them current! Some people may disagree with me on this, but I spent a lot of money and time and that is where it got me. Do yourself a favor and find an old Yamaha M40 or something of that nature, or a pro amp. Once you know what they sound like with a pro amp (which can be found relatively cheaply) you will know if you like the sound of the kappas.

Until then, feel free to try with the Sansui, but turn the volume down as soon as you start hearing harsh highs or uncontrolled bass. It is a sure sign you are clipping the amp.

Very true! And I have no experience with a 9090db either, or kappas. But I have a lot of experience with a lot of different gear and I've had different smaller flavours of Infinity speakers of the same era, and they were also current hungry speakers. Don't get me wrong, they can sound really good, until you start clipping the amp, and depending on how quickly you realize it, you may have blown your tweeters, your amp, or both. I use a 200 wpc amp to drive 30 watt speaker. Why? Because I have real clean power and that will give my transient highs and lows the extra clarity. This is especially important with revealing speakers such as the kappas.

+1 on the idea of using the Sansui as a preamp. I'm using a AU-7700 as a preamp and LOVE the sound. If you find a better preamp down the line, you can use your Sansui in another system.

I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm selling the SX-780 and a TEAC TN-300 turntable to fund the purchase of an amp. The A150's will go into the dining room, with the Toshiba. I'll keep the Sansui and use it as a preamp for now. I should get the supplies to refoam the Kappas by the end of the week.

I talked to someone who thought that the Acurus A250 would run hot with the Kappas and he is the one who recommended trying a Carver (he said to check out the TFM-35, but I've been looking at the M1.0t). I will still appreciate any feedback on amp choices (that could be had for $500 or less).

One more question for people with experience with Kappas: Do they sound good at low listening levels? I really like the A150's for when the family is home.

Good luck Rocket. The Kappas are excellent examples of speakers. And $40 is a fricking heist. Although they are not for everyone. I hope you have spent time in front them if they indeed are the reason for the sell offs.

Back
Top Bottom