Dog Meets Skunk...

punchback

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this... It sure was an outdoor adventure. About 5:30 am my wife wakes me and says that the dog has been involved in an incident with a skunk. MAN does that stink. I Googled the solution which is 1 qt hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of dish soap. So off to Walmart at 5:45 to buy HP. At first I grabbed a couple of qts but I ended up getting 5. Came back and mixed up 4 batches and washed the dog 4 times and followed up with a dog shampoo. When I came home from work she has NO hint of skunk smell. . If it happens to you this hydrogen peroxide solution really works!

I was so happy when I got home and there was no more stink. It was hard to tell if it had worked in the morning after you'd been smelling it for a while.

That is what we did when the neighbors dog took off after a skunk, got sprayed and came running back into their home rubbing his face on the carpet. The peroxide helped a lot. I could still smell Eau de Pepe on Fido a week later, even though the owner could not. But it was much diminished.

If you like this Vote for Pedro.

Last edited:
You are going to smell this every time the dog gets wet for the next few months. BT,DT with my two. They came back from a little adventure after escaping through the fence, and of course they ran through the house and went right to the bed to roll on it. This was right about midnight, so instead of going to bed we were up washing dogs and laundry for a few hours. The soap and peroxide thing helped tremendously, but didn't completely get rid of it. There were several washes with it, but every time the dogs went out in the rain you could smell it slightly for quite some time.

A guy I work with's wife grooms dogs. I mentioned it to him, his response was "shave the dog".

I guess that smell permeates the fiber of the dogs hair. I'll be on the lookout for this after the first time she gets wet.

Another thought... Does the smell transfer from the wet dog or is it just a unpleasant reminder of my fun morning?

BT, DT with my 2 as well. The peroxide works well. and yes when they get wet, you will get a reminder. Now keep the commercial shampoo in stock, for future events, as they never learn!

There's no doubt that she'll charge head long into another confrontation with the same result. Skunk, dog quadruple her size, she just can't help but doing it.

Do two or three rounds with this formula, and you are in good shape. I would also hit PetSmart or a local groomer, and ask to smell the dog perfume they spritz all the dogs with. Our sheltie always came home smelling like a French business lady with a great dose of lavender, which is worlds better than Pepe!

Well here I am about a month since THAT morning. First bath since and you can definitely still smell the skunk. Not too bad but the smell is unmistakable. I'd say compared to that morning it's about a 2 on a 1 to 10. You can smell it but it doesn't transfer to your hands. Anyway I thought I'd let you know know what happens a month later.

Back when I lived at home on the ranch, we had a St. Bernard that pretty much ran free. I swear, that dog had a skunk that he must have gone out and played with once every month or so. Luckily, he also liked to play in the irrigation ditches, so he "bathed" quite frequently.

Yup!!! Biggest mistake was to bring the dog into the house just after getting sprayed. That was 10 years ago and I swear I could still smell it when we moved.

We had that happen to a black lab. The peroxide helped turn her into a chocolate lab for several months. :D But she had failing eyesight, and likely didn't see the skunk by the pear tree next to the house when she came toddling in from the backyard. We had her sleep outside that night, then I did the peroxide/baking soda/Dawn dishwashing detergent (original "blue" version, best one to break down the oils that carry the scent) three times and got most of it out. And yes, it took two or three months for it to fully dissipate from her hair.

My buddy in Maine, who was part of a morning show at the time, used to walk his golden retriever every morning before work, and they had an unfortunate incident with a skunk one particular morning. He cleaned up and still went to work, but stunk up the whole building. :D And his car. In fact, they turned that into a contest. Whoever could come by the station and sit in the car for 15 minutes would win free tickets to a major concert. Someone actually did it and won the tickets!

And yes, the tomato juice thing is just an old wives tale, or urban legend maybe.

Once she was completely dry, the odor was gone again. Thank goodness! It didn't transfer to anything so that's good.

Back
Top Bottom