Kenwood Model 11 Thoughts???

kerry67

I have been looking for a nice Marantz receiver and came across this Kenwood Model 11. It is super clean, works perfect (except the timer, which I hear is pretty common), has a great sound. It's priced at $400 and I am thinking I am going to grab it later this month. What are your thoughts? Anyone have one or had any experience with one?Kenwood 11.JPG

Reactions: Ari
These are beastly receivers, and seem to go from zero to wide open very soon. I loved the sound of my buddy's Model 9. If you DO get it, factor in that it'll need a recap and service. Good luck.

These are beastly receivers, and seem to go from zero to wide open very soon. I loved the sound of my buddy's Model 9. If you DO get it, factor in that it'll need a recap and service. Good luck.

It seemed to work fine. It's from a local vintage audio guy.......

Working fine is not working optimally. After 40 years, she'll need some love to be top notch, or else you're playing with fire.

Send a pm to any of the good techs here, larryderouin, blhagstrom, mattsd, echowars, etc. They'll give you an idea of what you're looking at.

Best of luck.

I have been looking for a nice Marantz receiver and came across this Kenwood Model 11. It is super clean, works perfect (except the timer, which I hear is pretty common), has a great sound. It's priced at $400 and I am thinking I am going to grab it later this month. What are your thoughts? Anyone have one or had any experience with one?View attachment 755288
Buy it!
This is my favorite receiver, I have had one for years now, I have Mac's also but this is my favorite.
I would not do anything to it, not until you listen to it and see what you think.
Sometimes I think we can be to quick to jump in and start replacing parts because they are old.
Does it work fine and do you like the way it sounds to you, that's what you need to ask yourself.
This guy may have already updated it.

Agreed, buy it, but at minimum, have a tech check it out, test bias/offset, search for bulging caps, etc.

Good luck.

It looks fantastic totally the right look, if I was after a 70:s monster receiver I wouldn't hesitate a moment, and similar Pioneers, Marantz:s and Sansuis are normally much more expensive.

I would love to have room for a vintage receiver rig with all gear in wood cases and some classical speakers. My first stereo was a JVC 2x15W "casseiver" with wood trim and exaclty the same design language as above :)

I have a model eleven and love it. It is huge and is one of the prettiest vintage receivers I have. Beautiful in the dark and great sound although all I have done to it is adjust bias and offset. Daily use and still on original caps.

Forgot to mention mine is a series II. Check operation of the timer switch as they are a weak spot.

Make sure the timer on that works properly. Put your ear up to it. I had one local a retired AF guy for $250 with Sansui speakers. To ME $400 seems to be on the high end.
I just had my Sony STR 7055 recapped and let me tell you there is NO comparisons with the original.
I also have a mint that was almost new in box Sony STR 7045 (gent used it for a year and put it away after getting a "better" unit) and again no contest. Both are musical but getting something recapped is the only way to go.

I'm thinking of getting one of these myself.
For starters I'd like to know how the tuning knob & adjustment pots feel when adjusting them.

1) Does the tuning knob spin nice & smooth & seem to want to take off from your fingers ?
2) Does the volume control feel soft & cushy but solid when adjusting ?
3) Does the same go for the tone controls or are they detent ?

I've never seen one of these in person & would really like to know.
Owners or anyone else
PLEASE CHIME IN !!
Thanks !

Agreed, buy it, but at minimum, have a tech check it out, test bias/offset, search for bulging caps, etc.

Good luck.
Solid advice. ^^^^^^ My L-09Ms have been serviced and repaired but not recapped. A full recap is not always necessary, but having vintage gear serviced and tested is definitely a good idea. FWIW when I took the L-09s into the shop I told them to do whatever was needed, up to and including a full recap. The tech repaired some cold solder joits and broken traces, and said they were good to go. He had previously worked on my Citation 16 and recommended recapping it, so I was pretty confident that if the Kenwoods needed it he would have done them. Just my .02

The timers are usually broken by operator error. Turned the wrong way, past the stop.

I have one with it working but it's dead. Haven't started on it yet. It's on my personal projects shelf.
It's an excellent receiver. If you had it looked at you can decide when and how much you want to do. Budget is usually a show stopper when I fix other peoples stuff.

Recapping and some fresh transistors in the output stages and maybe more. It should sound sweet.

John

Back
Top Bottom