What's your latest audio purchase?

A (very) cheap Onkyo tuner (T-4010) to match my Onkyo "back-up" system,I wanted a matching tuner for that set-up "just because".

And another vintage Philips CDP,this one is a CDP-500 (same as that CDP-502 just no remote capability),I really love these old Philips CDP's so I plan to keep a couple of them around to play with,plus they can be had for next to nothing if you hunt for good deals on them.

Most recent,picked up a Schiit Modi Optical to use with my headphone/nearfield system.
Man does Schiit gear sell quick on the used market,so I had to jump on that one or I'm sure it would've gotten away.

Gotta make a concentrated effort to dial back the buy instinct from here on too,as I'm just swimming in gear right now.

Might need to do a fall gear cull / sale or something along those lines,LOL

Sigh....

Bret P.

Last edited:
Figured now that im getting into tubes i might as well go all in got this TV-7 D/U
these things are built like tanks probably could of got shipped without the box just stick a stamp on it

20160630_205642 (800x450).jpg

Pair of PSB Stratus Gold with brand new woofers, I know I helped put them in, and a Mac 2505 completely refurbed and specs out to 85 watts a side before clipping. The 2505 will be powering my ADS L1290's through my just finished getting refurbed Nak CA-5 with some upgrades. Sounds wonderful.

Pair of PSB Stratus Gold with brand new woofers, I know I helped put them in, and a Mac 2505 completely refurbed and specs out to 85 watts a side before clipping. The 2505 will be powering my ADS L1290's through my just finished getting refurbed Nak CA-5 with some upgrades. Sounds wonderful.
Great speakers. For some reason, I traded mine for Von Schweikert VR-4's. Big mistake.

The PSB's don't have enough room to breath in my smallish current music room so they are serving as fronts on my HT system. That system also serves as a second music system for some DVD-a's and SACD's as well as concert DVD's I have. Nothing else even comes close that I've tried so far to how awesome they sound! Can't wait to find space for a real music room they can shine in.

One pair of Onkyo Scepter 5001 speakers and AS-5001 stands. Pics to follow when I receive them.

Best purchase in decades, even better than my AR XA for $15. Not because it was a huge bargain, but because of the results. The purchase of the Grace f-8L '10 has proven to be very serendipitous in it's ability to bring the Grace 707 to life in a manner I hadn't suspected.

Sure I expected great synergy, they were manufactured by the same company and this I got in spades, even surpassing the Grado Platinum match up, and it's still not fully broken in.

Oh, did I forget to mention the cart and stylus turned out to be UNUSED NOS!!!!!!!

Well, suffice it to say it's surpassing my expectations in every way, but it also added a huge unforseen benefit. My Kenwood KD500 is on a shelf inside a large tv armoire centered between my two 12" subs and main speakers and so suffered from acoustic feedback.

Installed a set of Vibrapods under the Kenny and problem solved.....to a point. Anything above the 12:00 position on the volume pot was flirting with disaster. I was considering rewiring the arm and adding some sort of sound dampener inside at the same time.

Installed the Grace cart a couple of nights ago and ALL feedback issues are gone. I've been regularly cranking my biamped Klipsch Heresys to 3:00 on the volume pot and I must say IT'S LOUD, DID I SAY, IT'S LOUD? WELL IT'S FREAKIN LOUD, and not a hint of acoustic feedback, just live in your face jammin, Hales is rockin the house.

Jammin some Chicago now, notice the volume pot position, IT'S FREAKIN LOUD, and absolutely no feedback. I'm sorta dumbfounded as to why just a cartridge change could have such a drastic improvement in this regard but I'm sure glad it did.

14676454510431579808905.jpg 1467645502808-1856011549.jpg

Last edited:
a very dirty Dual 1219 with single play spindle,stacker spindle and Shure Hi Track cart-missing dust cover and United Audio badge for $1.26 at goodwill-couldn't pass it up at that price!

A Yamaha A-760 integrated amp for $39. I handed the seller $40 and he insisted that I take a dollar back! lol I just cleaned it, but it's certainly not the most pristine example that's for sure. The faceplate has several small dings and scratches, but overall it's not quite as bad as the "5/10" condition the seller billed it as. I haven't opened it up to clean it yet, but it has two banks of heat sinks and a good sized transformer in it. The rumor on this unit is that supposedly this was a Carver circuit that Yamaha copied/stole, and was then taken to court by Bob Carver himself for circuit design infringement. Apparently he won and Yamaha was forced to change the circuit completely (they kept the same look), and name it the "II" Series. Not sure if there's any truth to the rumor at all, but apparently that's the story on it. I might get around to having a listen to it soon. lol :p

Back
Top Bottom