What HiFi?

In this country magazines are largely beholden to their advertisers who (apparently) make clear such behavior is beyond the pale if they want to keep their advertising dollars. Now I'll admit I still don't know how they can rate things like interconnects and speaker wires, but you can put that down (if you want) to my prejudices.

Nonsense, and we're not interested in your prejudices if you haven't any evidence with which to back them up.

I haven't really looked at What HiFi in a number of years. I do like Hifi Choice and HiFi News and Record Review. All of them are slightly different but they are better, IMHO, than either Stereophile or TAS. I pick them up at Barnes and Noble and have considered subscribing but they aren't any cheaper via subscription than buying them copy by copy. I'll have a look at What HiFi next time I'm in B&N.

What I think some of the Brit magazines do is short, direct, to-the-point articles without:
*philosophical ramblings
*descriptions of how the equipment came into their listening space
*music reviews
*descriptions of other equipment in their systems
*comparisons to other equipment when discussing relative merits of the trade-offs inherent in any part of our hobby

I'm not denigrating the US magazines. I subscribe to both TAS and Stereophile and not to WhatHiFi or other overseas mags on the same subject.

I'm also not stating that the short direct method is superior, but I do believe that it makes for a better internet posting or quick takeaway.

What I think some of the Brit magazines do is short, direct, to-the-point articles without:
*philosophical ramblings
*descriptions of how the equipment came into their listening space
*music reviews
*descriptions of other equipment in their systems
*comparisons to other equipment when discussing relative merits of the trade-offs inherent in any part of our hobby

I'm not denigrating the US magazines. I subscribe to both TAS and Stereophile and not to WhatHiFi or other overseas mags on the same subject.

I'm also not stating that the short direct method is superior, but I do believe that it makes for a better internet posting or quick takeaway.

:thmbsp: That's pretty much what I said if not as succinctly.

That is what all of the magazines do. The other charges you made are as baseless as the last time you made them, and you still haven't offered up any evidence of their truthfulness. If you have something, put it up. If not, stop with the baseless accusations. This isn't going to be a forum to debate collusion. It's to talk about and share things you read about in audio magazines. If you continue to make those arguments in unrelated threads you will lose access to this forum.

I'm outta here! This particular forum is beginning to resemble the Thinking Out Loud forum where any con discussion is not tolerated. You're welcome to it.:yes:

I'm outta here! This particular forum is beginning to resemble the Thinking Out Loud forum where any con discussion is not tolerated. You're welcome to it.:yes:

Thread craps are not allowed in any forum here. Take it to the Critics forum on Audioasylum, where they can defend themselves. Something tells me you won't be so vocal about collusion when you have to answer to it and face those you insult.

I repeat again, and it is in the forum rules. This is NOT a forum to debate the magazines. It's to discuss articles of interest and editorials in them.

Also, comments on moderation are banned in all forums.

I totally agree, it's an excellent publication for exactly the reasons you listed. Both Stereophile and Absolute Sound say they primarily review what they have already decided is pretty good, because they want to introduce people to what's good that's out there. What HiFi is much more broad, not only in how positive they review things, but in what they review. Its a really interesting publication...I used to pick it up at Borders on my weekly magazine run, but sadly I need to track down a subscription since Borders is no more. Same thing for Hi Fi News, which I also enjoyed (more so than either of the big US mags, actually).

I agree- What HIFI isn't afraid to give a somewhat more negative review- where as Stereophile seems pained in many instances to give one, when clearly from the information given-it's not up to the standards (price/placing, etc) it should be.
What HIFi seems to have less spin, and is actually fun to read-not the rambling, personal demons/guilt Stereophile can be at times.
In fact, IMHO much of the 'demon" stuff is a clear prescription on how not to be a 'audiophile'.
Good sound is all about experimentation-much as it was in the early days-why not have some fun?
They have gotten better over the years, and more willing to throw off some of their self imposed shackles.
Plus the addition of the "Entry Level" section is a welcome change.
I like reading about the super high end stuff, but for many of use-reviews on the entry level high end stuff would be much more useful-but perhaps doesn't pay the bills as much.
Good sound comes in many and should and budgets- and should be appreciated a such.

Last edited:
My only issue with it is availability. Borders used to have them here. Barnes and Noble occasionally does, or maybe they only get in a few copies. But there aren't that many B&Ns here and a physical-copy subscription is pricey. Is What HIFI the one with the percentage ratings for sound quality and value? (I'm not near my magazine stash). That is one thing I never understood....as in, what is their benchmark?

Either way, with What HiFi, HiFi News and Record Review, and Stereophile and TAS....there's a good spectrum out there for whatever your interests are, and if one of them isn't to your liking one of the others is different enough that it might fit what you're looking for.

Please delete all my comments in this forum. I had not read the rules and while I don't agree with them, it is your forum and by those rules they were out of line.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

I agree with Art's opening comments about 'What Hifi'. That is what makes it different and an interesting read. I mostly check it out at the book store.

Happy Listener!:beatnik:

Please delete all my comments in this forum. I had not read the rules and while I don't agree with them, it is your forum and by those rules they were out of line.

I appreciate that you've realized this now, and you're obviously welcome to opt out of this forum, but we decide when things will be deleted or edited here.

:thumbsdn:
I was shocked when I read a review on an USB cable on their mag sometime ago, describing the bass etc.

NEVER AGAIN, where's the government consumer protection that we pay for to protect the normal uninformed user from these crooks...:sigh:

I used to enjoy reading the British mags until the price IMHO went way too high for me. If memory serves What HiFi was $12.99 the last time I looked and, as a previous poster stated, there's no subscription dicount either. At one time it was cheaper to buy them from Barnes and Noble than it was to subscribe. They do review a lot more affordable gear than our domestic mags, unless you consider an average price of $20,000 give or take affordable.

Last edited:
What HiFi has been around for donkeys years, I used to read it as a kid when most of my peers were reading comics. To give you an idea of how old they are, their top budget systems of the time were :

Dual 505
NAD 3020
Mission 700

or

Sansui SR-222
Sansui AU-317
Acoustic Research AR18

Lee.

Audiophile was a very well written british mag. LBJ SETRIGHT ,always a great read. now i enjoy hi-fi world.

Back
Top Bottom